Hola from Colorado!

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dandoyle
Pilgrim

Hola from Colorado!

Postby dandoyle » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:31 pm

I am new to smoking but not to grilling. I like consuming info on the science of meat like why brining, dry rub, searing, smoking, etc. The science of the smoke ring is interesting. Understanding enables me to play and tweak.

I use a Weber kettle with a couple techniques including snake and a slow and sear. I like researching gadgets to enhance my cooking like using BBQ Guru to temp control my kettle; I am thinking about building one instead of buying it which is also fun.

I have had moderate success with ribs and pork butt but I have not cracked smoking a brisket which is what lead me to this forum. Yesterday I was able to get a good poke test on my brisket but it fell apart when slicing it; I have smoked 3 now and I am not satisfied with any of them but I am getting better results each time. I am here for tips on BBQ and help with tweaking my technique so I can nail down BBQin' at high altitude.

Next year, I am considering getting a smoker. I also want to get a 26" Weber.

I enjoy BBQ picture on youtube. I enjoy BBQ Pit Boys vids. I am always looking for new material.

And my friends and family love that my hobby is meat. They never say a bad word but I know I can do better. I want to amaze them.

Dan
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Re: Hola from Colorado!

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:40 pm

Welcome aboard, dd! We've never mastered a brisket here either. :dont: Maybe someday!
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:17 pm

Howdy and Welcome, Dan, :salut: I've been whooped by Briskets so many times that I'm gun shy so I just wait and eat someone else's :laughing7:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:45 pm

Absolutely hilarious. First off, welcome! I knew a Dana Doyle in Colorado springs long ago. Lol! You'll find lots of good info here. Pull up a stump and stay a while!
(Insert witty signature here)
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:50 pm

Welcome!! The Slownsear is a wonderful invention ain't it??
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:08 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Howdy and Welcome, Dan, :salut: I've been whooped by Briskets so many times that I'm gun shy so I just wait and eat someone else's :laughing7:

Now that sounds like the best ideas I have heard all day. A true master at work.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:09 pm

takes years of practice Friend :D
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
dandoyle
Pilgrim

Postby dandoyle » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:59 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome. Good to hear I am hanging at the right water cooler for those working on mastering brisket.

Slownsear is good - not sure if it is great - but I feel I have gotten control of some variables that validate what I was doing without it and that helps. I like the water trough and the steel really radiates the heat. I get >6 hours easily with a full tray of charcoal. I prefer it over a snake but I think maybe now that I am a little wiser to my kettle's characteristic I could pull off a snake for hours too but with a little more work and mess. I get real high temps out of it when I am grilling. I like it better than the Weber trays and it grills spatchcocked chickens well.

Thanks again for the warm welcome. I will be lurking in the forums. I don't have enough experience for any quality tips but I can hang a little in a BBQ conversation without getting a stank eye.

Dan
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:14 pm

Welcome aboard. If somebody told me they could only have one piece of backyard cooking equipment I'd tell them to get a Weber Kettle. As versatile as they come!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:26 pm

Welcome here as well, I see Colorado a lot in things I see on TV. Homicide hunter one my faves, joe kenda,lol.
Look forward to see your pics.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.

Return to “WANTED POSTERS - New Member Introductions”