Brisket help at high altitude!

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dandoyle
Pilgrim

Brisket help at high altitude!

Postby dandoyle » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:58 pm

Yesterday, I ended up with a brisket that passed a poke test but falls apart when sliced. It reminds me of pulled pork.

Here are the details:
* smoked in a Weber kettle for 5 hours
* oven at 225 for 10 hours or so but brisket stuck around 180
* popped 196(had to pack up the brisket to take to a BBQ) 4 hours later; wrapped in aluminum foil last hour
* let rest in foil in a cooler for 45 minutes

Consistency of meat: falls apart when slicingI do not underst

From what I understand, connective tissues liquefy around 195 and that is what we are going for in BBQ. What needs to happen after the meat is ready? I know it needs to rest. My understanding is that resting is so the meat will reabsorb moisture. Does this also help the meat so it can be sliced without falling apart? What am I missing here? How do I get my meat to where it is tender and it slices well?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Brisket help at high altitude!

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:12 pm

Thanks Dan, I can remember trying to cook a pot of pintos at 10,000' elev - ah memories :laughing7: appreciate you sharing your acquired knowledge with us :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:06 pm

Sounds like that particular piece of meat stalled at a higher temp (due to elevation???) of 180 instead of the more typical 165 or so. Could be thermometer quality issues as well. I have a mid lid mounted thermometer that reads a consistent 45 degree hotter than my grate level. I tend to go more by the probe and bend test than thermos anyway. You can tell when its ready.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
dandoyle
Pilgrim

Postby dandoyle » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:07 pm

I will share whatever knowledge my empty head has in it.

Anyone else had your brisket fall apart? I do not necessarily see that as bad as the meat is tender and juicy but I want tender and juicy slices and my brisket is not having anything to do with that. I want tender juicy brisket that slices nicely<--is that the wrong expectation?

Dan
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:15 am

dandoyle wrote:I will share whatever knowledge my empty head has in it.

Anyone else had your brisket fall apart? I do not necessarily see that as bad as the meat is tender and juicy but I want tender and juicy slices and my brisket is not having anything to do with that. I want tender juicy brisket that slices nicely<--is that the wrong expectation?

Dan

Nope, very realistic. Practice makes perfect. Even the best briskets have areas that will be more "fall apart" than others. If you aren't doing competition and the food is good dont sweat the small stuff.
Attachments
20800296_1570092246344929_1380404960291092286_n.jpg
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
RUBYRW
Rustler

Postby RUBYRW » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:37 pm

I have noticed on my offset, if I take the IT to 200-205...and rest for longer than 2 hours I get pulled brisket. If I pull the brisket at 195 and rest 1 hour, I get good slices. Both taste awesome and am happy either way. Not sure the rhyme or reason.
Anyone else?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
dandoyle
Pilgrim

Postby dandoyle » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:14 pm

Thanks Outlaw and Rubyrw!

Nice pics.

I will try 195 with an hour irrespective of poke test. How long are you BBQing your brisket at high altitude?

Where do you measure temp from? Is that the lowest temp measured across the brisket or is that from the thickest part?
aking6341
Pilgrim

Postby aking6341 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:17 pm

My guess is that you sliced with the grain of the meat instead of against it.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”