Hurricane Harvey Aftermath Stuff

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Hurricane Harvey Aftermath Stuff

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:27 pm

Finally heard from my best friend personally and here's what he offered.

Here are some pics I took while we didn’t have anything else to do. When a boat would start crashing through the roof, it would make a terrible sound with the tin popping loose. Went on all night and day, Pow, Pop, Crash, pretty unnerving.

We decided to leave yesterday morning when we got up and with all the prep it took us until after noon to finally get on the move. We drove over what used to be dry land because a 65’ houseboat was adrift and blocking the only exit. Then when we got to the river, it was almost like shooting the rapids through the bridge at I-10. As soon as we got out of the narrow fast rushing part of the river, it was smooth sailing. We estimated the current at about 10-12 mph through the bridge. The boat performed well. We found a guy in Beaumont who was a certified USCG captain so he made it easier and my truck and little boat is sitting in his driveway. One of my neighbors is going to drive me over to retrieve my truck. Water is still over U.S.90 at Nome but I talked to the City Sec. at China and the HWY Patrol is letting people pass one lane each direction. Water approx. 15” deep…. I’ll let you know when we get back.
Attachments
Darens boat sticking up past the sheds.jpg
Boats Sinking.jpg
Boats Sticking through Roof.jpg
20170901_065625.jpg
20170831_170245.jpg
20170831_170132.jpg
20170831_170112.jpg
20170901_065626.jpg
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:39 pm

Unbelievable!!!

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Postby jwh » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:43 pm

:shock:
Josh
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:25 am

Reporting in, high and dry. Short story, I had about 6 inch's of water in my barn, started going in my shop and up to the slab of the house but it would have had to come up another foot to get in. Two family member's and my son-in-laws mother got flooded along with several friends, plus our church, we are all fairly close to the Cedar Bayou. Didn't take many pic's, first one was in the street in front of my house, next is about a 1/4 mile down my street that someone else took and the last one is the parking lot at church. Been pretty busy around here, y'all stay safe.

Street1.jpg
Street2.jpg
Street3.jpg
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:09 am

Good to hear Y"all are SAFE, Friend, Good Luck to Y"all in the clean up and rebuild process :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:10 am

Wow, glad your ok Williep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:13 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Good to hear Y"all are SAFE, Friend, Good Luck to Y"all in the clean up and rebuild process :salut:

Amen to this. We're glad to hear from you.
Moink!
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:45 pm

Happy to hear y'all survived . I can't imagine surviving that much rain at one time. :shock:
We get a lot of rain up here but not at one time. It's more like a endless drizzle.

I just three months ago hired a young man from Texas. I think he said he last lived in Sugarland. His parents are in Houston. He spend a lot of time last week on his cell getting updates from his parents and brothers down there.

Kinda weird tho. He must have brought up with him your dry hot weather. Since he's been here we've only had a 1/10" of rain and are setting records for days with temps over the 70s and 80s.Yesterday hit 90 here and 4 day forecast is for over 90.

I ain't complaining tho...Ill take this any day over what y'all down there have had to put up with.

Bill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:27 pm

I had to share this BBQ story with Y'all real quick.
Today I'm sitting out at my ECB baby sitting my steak and the Wiffy opens the back door.
When I looked up she was crying and I nearly turned the ECB over getting out of the chair
and over to her. When I asked her what was wrong she replied:

"They just showed those BBQ Folks down in Houston on TV feeding all those people. There were not only hundreds of people being fed but there were dozens upon dozens of people working, cooking and helping and it just grabbed at my heart strings."

I hugged her and replied:

"Now you see why I like to associate with those Folks don'tcha?" :texas: :flag:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:31 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:I had to share this BBQ story with Y'all real quick.
Today I'm sitting out at my ECB baby sitting my steak and the Wiffy opens the back door.
When I looked up she was crying and I nearly turned the ECB over getting out of the chair
and over to her. When I asked her what was wrong she replied:

"They just showed those BBQ Folks down in Houston on TV feeding all those people. There were not only hundreds of people being fed but there were dozens upon dozens of people working, cooking and helping and it just grabbed at my heart strings."

I hugged her and replied:

"Now you see why I like to associate with those Folks don'tcha?" :texas: :flag:

It's amazing how people pull together, we had the same with the massive quakes here 7 years ago. People just appeared to help.i hope irma fizzles out.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:35 pm

:texas:

I'm glad you posted this, OUP. :tup:
Moink!
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:25 pm

Well the shelter is still open down at NRG. Was down there yesterday helping out. 1500 pounds of brisket getting ready.

And this pit showed up last night and set up next to mine. Quite a unit. 42 inch pipe. The black box is storage for tables and such, and the diamond plate box is wood storage and is open on top.
Attachments
IMG_2511.JPG
This pit showed up yesterday evening. David built it for a guy out of Carson city nevada.
IMG_2510.JPG
IMG_2509.JPG
IMG_2507.JPG
A few on my pit
IMG_2506.JPG
Some brisket waiting on rub
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:59 pm

:bow: :salut: :tup: :bow: :salut: :tup: :bow: :salut: :tup: :bow: :salut: :tup: :bow: :salut: :tup:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:36 pm

Bigger than Texas, man I've seen it all now, that is one monster unit. Unbelievable. Glad everyone's helping out.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:41 pm

Yes it is a beauty Russ. Although it isn't finished yet, I suspect the guy wants to give her a good run full of meat and she how she does before he takes it home. Still needs the fenders put on and a few other things, but it is one pretty pit.painted the same color as mine is.

Return to “General Discussion”