Wings Done Hillbilly

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Wings Done Hillbilly

Postby jwh » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:23 pm

Well, I have outcast m'self in the world of TexMex with my disavowal of Guacamole (though I would argue that I still have legitimate credit as a TexMexArkansan), and, I fear, I will disappoint here, as well. I have had smoked wings. I have executed smoked wings. I have found them wanting, and -when I want wings- well, I want 'em double deep-fried. Here's how this ole' hillbilly does it.

1. First you fry room temp wings at around 250 fer about 15 minutes, give or take. Then you take 'em out and let 'em set back to room temperature, after adding some black pepper, cayenne pepper, and a wee bit of cumin.
1.JPG

2. Then, while those are settin' and gettin' back to room temp, you make your sauce with Franks Red Hot, White Distilled Vinegar (cuz can there ever be enough vinegar in the wing sauce), butter, cayenne pepper, cumin, Louisiana Hot sauce, and honey, blessed honey! You get that to warmin, and stirrin'.
2b.JPG
2a.JPG
2c.JPG

3. Next, you put them wings back in the fryer with the oil up to 375, figure about 3-5 minutes. Then, if you're in a hurry- you get some cheatin' fries, and spice 'em up with cayenne, black pepper, cumin, and salt. Pull them wings, while havin' been stirring up that sauce (after a boil happens, bring it to low), then transfer sauce and wings to a bowl for tossin' and toss, hoss!
3a.JPG
3b.JPG

4. Now, cover that bowl and let the heat and vinegary goodness build up some kind of hit-your-face-with-a-wall-of-goodness-after-you-remove-this-cover. Put the fries in the fryer for 4 minutes or so, same heat.
Meanwhile, after you have had a nice beer or more (and the amount depends on the person, don't abuse God's gift and make a mockery of it), it's time for some iced tea.
4a.JPG
4b.JPG

5. Pull those fries, Mister! Season 'em some more.
5.JPG

6. Thank the Lord for the good gifts of the earth, and ask His blessing on said gifts. Then, go to town!
6.JPG
Josh
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Re: Wings Done Hillbilly

Postby Russ » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:32 pm

Great pics and good looking plate of essentials. I have crinkle cut frozen fries in my freezer, I like the cheating chips. I'm gunna use that,lol.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Postby jwh » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:34 pm

And -please note- my fine china for grubbin'.
Josh
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:17 pm

Seeings how I love fryed food.....it looks fantastic... :cheers: :chef:
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:17 am

Well, you took a leap of faith so I shall follow along. While I admit I love guacamole, where I run the risk of disbarment is I don't like wings. Yeah, I said it. I am 60 yrs old and probably only had wings as a dish a half a dozen times. I just don't get it. The little drumstick? Maybe, in a pinch, but a couple of bites where the meat is not even that good a texture just doesn't seem like it is worth the trouble. Much less all the hype. I put wings in the same category as pasta. Just a way to feed a bunch of people on a budget.
On a different note, I also twice fry lots of things. I don't know what the rest and room temp is all about scientifically but it sure works. Only way I can get home made potato chips to come out right.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Postby jwh » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:30 am

outlaw wrote:Well, you took a leap of faith so I shall follow along. While I admit I love guacamole, where I run the risk of disbarment is I don't like wings. Yeah, I said it. I am 60 yrs old and probably only had wings as a dish a half a dozen times. I just don't get it. The little drumstick? Maybe, in a pinch, but a couple of bites where the meat is not even that good a texture just doesn't seem like it is worth the trouble. Much less all the hype. I put wings in the same category as pasta. Just a way to feed a bunch of people on a budget.
On a different note, I also twice fry lots of things. I don't know what the rest and room temp is all about scientifically but it sure works. Only way I can get home made potato chips to come out right.

The "hassle" that comes with wings is certainly understandable, m'friend. No disbarment from me. :)

That said, the combination, particularly, of the texture of a good fried wing and the vinegary goodness of the buffalo sauce got me hooked. As for the portion sizes, well . . . that's why I don't really eat 'em unless I make 'em (cheaper, more quantity).
Josh
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:46 am

[That said, the combination, particularly, of the texture of a good fried wing and the vinegary goodness of the buffalo sauce got me hooked. As for the portion sizes, well . . . that's why I don't really eat 'em unless I make 'em (cheaper, more quantity).[/quote]

Makes sense to me. I have friends that seek out the hottest wings they can find and challenge each other with them. Unless they got something extra anatomically that I didn't, the human digestive system can't metabolize or mitigate the effects of capsaicin in any way, so the old joke of "Come on Ice Cream" is just that. A joke. I'm not putting myself through that.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Postby jwh » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:55 am

outlaw wrote:Makes sense to me. I have friends that seek out the hottest wings they can find and challenge each other with them. Unless they got something extra anatomically that I didn't, the human digestive system can't metabolize or mitigate the effects of capsaicin in any way, so the old joke of "Come on Ice Cream" is just that. A joke. I'm not putting myself through that.

Yeah, agreed. Those wing "challenges" are rather silly. Taking food and making it inedible is a travesty, especially when we consider those who -by no fault of their own, nor ability to rise above- are unable to get the sustenance needed for daily care. I do enjoy hot food, but as an adornment to the flavor of the food, not as that which drowns out any flavor and is simply the exhibition of fools.
Josh
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:20 am

jwh wrote:
outlaw wrote:Makes sense to me. I have friends that seek out the hottest wings they can find and challenge each other with them. Unless they got something extra anatomically that I didn't, the human digestive system can't metabolize or mitigate the effects of capsaicin in any way, so the old joke of "Come on Ice Cream" is just that. A joke. I'm not putting myself through that.

Yeah, agreed. Those wing "challenges" are rather silly. Taking food and making it inedible is a travesty, especially when we consider those who -by no fault of their own, nor ability to rise above- are unable to get the sustenance needed for daily care. I do enjoy hot food, but as an adornment to the flavor of the food, not as that which drowns out any flavor and is simply the exhibition of fools.

:D :D :D
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:51 am

I'll take a paper plate of both, thanks. :D
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:38 am

outlaw wrote:I run the risk of disbarment is I don't like wings. Yeah, I said it. I am 60 yrs old and probably only had wings as a dish a half a dozen times. I just don't get it. The little drumstick? Maybe, in a pinch, but a couple of bites where the meat is not even that good a texture just doesn't seem like it is worth the trouble.

Welps, Pal, I guess that we weren't separated at birth after all FOR I PERSONALLY think that the meat on the "wingette" (not the drumette) is the best tasting part of the bird, second only to the back meat (Dad called them Buttons) - - - - however, there are not many Wing Joints that I like - - - I've found better wings at the Stop and Go/Quik Stop Deli Stores than anywhere else. :dont: :whiteflag: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:39 am

OldUsedParts wrote:
outlaw wrote:I run the risk of disbarment is I don't like wings. Yeah, I said it. I am 60 yrs old and probably only had wings as a dish a half a dozen times. I just don't get it. The little drumstick? Maybe, in a pinch, but a couple of bites where the meat is not even that good a texture just doesn't seem like it is worth the trouble.

Welps, Pal, I guess that we weren't separated at birth after all FOR I PERSONALLY think that the meat on the "wingette" (not the drumette) is the best tasting part of the bird, second only to the back meat (Dad called them Buttons) - - - - however, there are not many Wing Joints that I like - - - I've found better wings at the Stop and Go/Quik Stop Deli Stores than anywhere else. :dont: :whiteflag: :salut:

It's still a possibility, you have just been too close to Houston for too long. I forgive you this one minor indiscretion. :dont: :dont: :lol: :lol:
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:01 pm

Is there a vaccination for Houstonitis :?:

just remember "the closer to the bone, the sweeter the meat - a la Wangs and Back"

I'll S'hup Now :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:04 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Is there a vaccination for Houstonitis :?:

just remember "the closer to the bone, the sweeter the meat - a la Wangs and Back"

I'll S'hup Now :whiteflag:

Yes there is. It's called DFW. I do love the buttons of back meat too.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:06 pm

been there done that - - - - got back to the Piney Woods as fast as I could :D

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”