Smoked Salsa 1st

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Smoked Salsa 1st

Postby jwh » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:04 pm

Tried my hand at smoked salsa some time back. Just smoked a few tomatoes, some garlic cloves, serranos for heat, and a large amount or Anaheim and Poblano peppers, then puréed it into this delicious sauce (best served warm, IMHO):

IMG_0256.JPG
Josh
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Smoked Salsa 1st

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:07 pm

Makes me wanna go grab that bag of Tostitos and call it Supper :tup: :salut: :cheers: I may smoke some next time but on very small scale
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:28 pm

Very nice. It really does add a next level flavor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:37 am

Yes, about 1/2 the time I make salsa I used smoked peppers. Sometimes I will go ahead and smoke some and freeze for later use. Whole different flavor profile that way. Yours looks great.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Postby jwh » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:27 am

outlaw wrote:Yes, about 1/2 the time I make salsa I used smoked peppers. Sometimes I will go ahead and smoke some and freeze for later use. Whole different flavor profile that way. Yours looks great.

Thanks, Outlaw.

When I add cilantro (which I think is better in cold salsa), it has a much greener tint to it. I have been reticent to attempt tomato heavy salsa, because the tomatoes turn out too much sweetness for my taste. What -if anything- do you do to counter that? The sweet salsa taste is why I despise 95% of store bought jarred salsa. And when I see that they've added extra sugar (on top of the natural sugars provided by tomatoes), I shudder.
Josh
dump-truck bbq USER_AVATAR
DUMP-TRUCK BBQ
Pilgrim

Postby DUMP-TRUCK BBQ » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:11 am

What type tomatoes do you use? Roma?? Trying my hand at this soon and I'm still trying to determine my portions of toms, peppers, garlic, etc. I'd like to make around 4 Kerr jars worth. Thoughts?
Willy P
:texas:
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn
Char-Griller Smokin Pro w/SFB
Char-Broil Santa Fe
Brinkmann 810 4-burner
jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Postby jwh » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:41 am

DT,

I have used Roma before, but this time it was "Tomatoes on the vine," and not very many. My peppers FAR outweigh tomatoes (probably 5 to 1).
Josh
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:14 pm

jwh wrote:
outlaw wrote:Yes, about 1/2 the time I make salsa I used smoked peppers. Sometimes I will go ahead and smoke some and freeze for later use. Whole different flavor profile that way. Yours looks great.

Thanks, Outlaw.

When I add cilantro (which I think is better in cold salsa), it has a much greener tint to it. I have been reticent to attempt tomato heavy salsa, because the tomatoes turn out too much sweetness for my taste. What -if anything- do you do to counter that? The sweet salsa taste is why I despise 95% of store bought jarred salsa. And when I see that they've added extra sugar (on top of the natural sugars provided by tomatoes), I shudder.

I use Romas as well, and the chicken boillion is what counteracts the sweetness. The tomatillos I use I'm sure factor in as well.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Postby jwh » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:23 pm

This is how I usually prepare my salsa.
Josh

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”