"Lumpy" da 8th Dwarf

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

"Lumpy" da 8th Dwarf

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:34 pm

'ol Dawg learn'n new tricks ?hopefully? how to grill with Lump Charcoal :whiteflag:

grilling a center cut prime beef steak today BUT this time it's on the Kettle, over Lump and in a trial aluminum pan to ?possibly? create a hotter quicker cook ???

what I'm hoping for is decent grill marks and sear but still rare and juicy - - - probably could get this on the Stove in the kitchen but I wouldn't have that Mesquite smoke flavor that I love so much

sides will be a loaded tater with some maters and okra - - - Sherry just wants a baked sweet tater and a link of pork and vension sausage

IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0017.JPG

Steak was awesome and I got my SuckleBusters Campfire Steak Seasoning Fix also. :tup:

Sailor, I blotted the Italian Dressing and other moisture before covering it with SuckleBusters Campfire Steak Seasoning and it seemed to have helped a little. :dont:

After I use this bag of Lump I promise that I will never be guilty of buying another one. Sorry Pals, it's just not my cup of coals. :dont: I'm also chunking the aluminum charcoal pan and going back to my ECB rather than the Kettle. "Bow Wow - Grrrrr"
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Re: "Lumpy" da 8th Dwarf

Postby Boots » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:51 pm

Food!
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:02 pm

Looks mighty tasty. Sorry you don't like the lump. I wouldn't use anything else
Attachments
Steak.jpg
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:24 pm

But it all looks sooo gooood......
Moink!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:46 pm

Got lumped in the head by lump, eh? No worries! Like the migration from charcoal to wood, lump has its learning curve too. I'd say don't give up on it entirely; give it time!
(Insert witty signature here)
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: "Lumpy" da 8th Dwarf

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:45 pm

Txdragon wrote:Got lumped in the head by lump, eh? No worries! Like the migration from charcoal to wood, lump has its learning curve too. I'd say don't give up on it entirely; give it time!
^^^^^^^
Nope, he's ruined for good i think :( :(
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:52 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^what he said - - - however, I ?may? try another and use the rest of the bag up :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:13 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^what he said - - - however, I ?may? try another and use the rest of the bag up :dont:
I'd personally get rid of that foil pan and give it another go without it.
I can't see why you wouldn't get that top grate hot enough for excellent sear marks using that lump.
It burns way hotter so it should work ??
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:24 pm

I think I've been snake bit when it comes to lump :dont:

however, I'll take any excuse I can to do another steak and use the rest of that bag :chef:

I used my chimney and that electric starter you turned me onto but I still had to "cheat" to get it lit and going good Plus I had to add 4 briquettes in the process - - - I felt like Gomer Pyle - - - but after all was said and done - - - the steak was great :cheers:
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:33 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:I think I've been snake bit when it comes to lump :dont:

however, I'll take any excuse I can to do another steak and use the rest of that bag :chef:

I used my chimney and that electric starter you turned me onto but I still had to "cheat" to get it lit and going good Plus I had to add 4 briquettes in the process - - - I felt like Gomer Pyle - - - but after all was said and done - - - the steak was great :cheers:
Lump does in fact burn differently at the beginning.
Did u open the top and bottom vents 100% after u dumped the chimney in ?
That lump should get RED HOT ..
Once lump is lit, it really does stay very hot.
I'm not sure how the draft on the Weber's are ?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:43 pm

everything was wide open - - - - I actually think that I should have started it about 30 minutes earlier but "I didn't" AND therefore I was pressured with timing because the tater was getting almost ready - - - definitely NOT the Lumps fault but I'll give it another shot and see what happens
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:21 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:everything was wide open - - - - I actually think that I should have started it about 30 minutes earlier but "I didn't" AND therefore I was pressured with timing because the tater was getting almost ready - - - definitely NOT the Lumps fault but I'll give it another shot and see what happens
This may sound rediculous to some, but more often than not i like to let the lump burn a good 30 min to 45 min after i achieve my grill temp before i cook.

I bet if u load it up with a good amount of lump and dump a red hot chimney on top and give it time to spread, you will have different results.
Just remember, shake and reuse un burnt lump.

Good luck dude
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:19 pm

Usually Em, on my kettle, if I want to sear, I leave the lid off to maximize the oxygen.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:33 pm

thanks, Gents, :tup: :salut:

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”