Corned beef bottom flat

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

User avatar
Txdragon
Deputy
Posts: 3191
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 3:13 pm
Location: Forney, TX
Contact:

Corned beef bottom flat

Postby Txdragon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:42 am

The restaurant will be opening in a bit less than 2 weeks and I've started my first round of house made corned beef. I chose the bottom flat because there is a better yield vs brisket. Brisket makes for better pastrami IMO anyways. You generally never ask for fatty corned beef, but I certainly don't know anyone who's ever ordered lean pastrami!
I trimmed away only about a lb of fat and cleaned up most of the silverskin.. first picture is the underside before trim.
20170714_133216.jpg


And underside after trim.
20170714_134521.jpg


Cleaned up the backside, forgot to snap a before though. Lol
20170714_134722.jpg


This will be brining until about 2 days before opening, then will be cooked the day before. Stay tuned!!
(Insert witty signature here)
User avatar
OldUsedParts
Deputy
Posts: 7916
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Contact:

Re: Corned beef bottom flat

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:19 am

that's one Grand Opening that North Tejas will not soon forget :tup: :salut: :cheers: :texas:
OUP

" Country by choice, Texan by the Grace of God "
User avatar
outlaw
Bandolero
Posts: 893
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:14 am
Location: Arlington, TX
Contact:

Re: Corned beef bottom flat

Postby outlaw » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:51 am

OldUsedParts wrote:that's one Grand Opening that North Tejas will not soon forget :tup: :salut: :cheers: :texas:


I guess I'm late to the party, as usual. What restaurant and where?
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
User avatar
OldUsedParts
Deputy
Posts: 7916
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Contact:

Re: Corned beef bottom flat

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:58 am

T-Dragon will have to provide that info HOWEVER, here's what it's all about.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=29362&p=246919#p246919
OUP

" Country by choice, Texan by the Grace of God "
User avatar
outlaw
Bandolero
Posts: 893
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:14 am
Location: Arlington, TX
Contact:

Re: Corned beef bottom flat

Postby outlaw » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:04 am

OldUsedParts wrote:T-Dragon will have to provide that info HOWEVER, here's what it's all about.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=29362&p=246919#p246919


I click on it and it tells me I'm not authorized to read that forum. Foiled again. That must be the "super duper Secret Squirrel" section. :dont: :dont: :dont:
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
User avatar
OldUsedParts
Deputy
Posts: 7916
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Contact:

Re: Corned beef bottom flat

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:23 am

Hmmmm don't know why it wouldn't open for you :dont: If you want to try clicking on T-dragon's name and then his user post and ?they open? then just scroll down to "New Opportunity" - - Good Luck :salut:
OUP

" Country by choice, Texan by the Grace of God "
User avatar
outlaw
Bandolero
Posts: 893
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:14 am
Location: Arlington, TX
Contact:

Re: Corned beef bottom flat

Postby outlaw » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:11 pm

Information

You are not authorised to read this forum
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
User avatar
OldUsedParts
Deputy
Posts: 7916
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Contact:

Re: Corned beef bottom flat

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:25 pm

:dont: :dont: :dont: :dont:
OUP

" Country by choice, Texan by the Grace of God "
User avatar
Txdragon
Deputy
Posts: 3191
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 3:13 pm
Location: Forney, TX
Contact:

Re: Corned beef bottom flat

Postby Txdragon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:37 pm

It's a deputy only section.. Lol. Anywho. The restaurant is in Arkansas, about 5 minutes from Downtown hot springs. Kinda American food place, burgers, sandwiches, bar and good bar food selection. Everything is fresh and house made. I'm in charge of all our cured/smoked products and kitchen manager. I'll be sharing the stove with the owner, who is a classicly trained chef.
Along with my smoker experience, I bring forth a great South Texas addition with some Tex-Mex flare. Everything we make is from scratch. Produce and meat come from local sources. It's as close to farm to table as we can get it, without raising it ourselves!
(Insert witty signature here)
User avatar
Russ
Outlaw
Posts: 2277
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:31 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Corned beef bottom flat

Postby Russ » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:35 pm

Txd do you boil your corned beef , if so, what do you serve yours with. Here, we have this regularly. I do corned beef in a pot with carrots added the last hour. Served with mash tatter and boiled cabbage and a mustard sauce for the meat. Great winter fare here.

Would love to know how yours ends up.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
User avatar
Txdragon
Deputy
Posts: 3191
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 3:13 pm
Location: Forney, TX
Contact:

Re: Corned beef bottom flat

Postby Txdragon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:19 pm

Russ wrote:Txd do you boil your corned beef , if so, what do you serve yours with. Here, we have this regularly. I do corned beef in a pot with carrots added the last hour. Served with mash tatter and boiled cabbage and a mustard sauce for the meat. Great winter fare here.

Would love to know how yours ends up.

Russ

I braise it. This will be for sandwiches, particularly Ruebens. Everything but the bread is house made!
(Insert witty signature here)
User avatar
Russ
Outlaw
Posts: 2277
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:31 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Corned beef bottom flat

Postby Russ » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:26 am

Txdragon wrote:
Russ wrote:Txd do you boil your corned beef , if so, what do you serve yours with. Here, we have this regularly. I do corned beef in a pot with carrots added the last hour. Served with mash tatter and boiled cabbage and a mustard sauce for the meat. Great winter fare here.

Would love to know how yours ends up.

Russ

I braise it. This will be for sandwiches, particularly Ruebens. Everything but the bread is house made!


Boom, I'm on board with that. I use left over to make a similar thing like your Reuben's, I sometimes think its better the next day in a sammich or bun.

Look forward to pic brother.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
User avatar
Txdragon
Deputy
Posts: 3191
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 3:13 pm
Location: Forney, TX
Contact:

Re: Corned beef bottom flat

Postby Txdragon » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:38 am

Russ wrote:
Txdragon wrote:
Russ wrote:Txd do you boil your corned beef , if so, what do you serve yours with. Here, we have this regularly. I do corned beef in a pot with carrots added the last hour. Served with mash tatter and boiled cabbage and a mustard sauce for the meat. Great winter fare here.

Would love to know how yours ends up.

Russ

I braise it. This will be for sandwiches, particularly Ruebens. Everything but the bread is house made!


Boom, I'm on board with that. I use left over to make a similar thing like your Reuben's, I sometimes think its better the next day in a sammich or bun.

Look forward to pic brother.

Russ

There will definitely be pictures!
(Insert witty signature here)
User avatar
Txdragon
Deputy
Posts: 3191
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 3:13 pm
Location: Forney, TX
Contact:

Re: Corned beef bottom flat

Postby Txdragon » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:14 am

Russ wrote:
Look forward to pic brother.

Russ

As promised, some pics! First one is just out of the bath. Looks like it was in a bowl of swamp water. Lol!
20170723_095617.jpg


Look at that pretty color!! (My camera probably did it no real justice!)

20170723_095604.jpg


Cooked up the couple slices I got from the end. Wow. The flavor was spot on. I got worried as I was missing a couple spices found in the pickling mix, but they were not missed here. **sigh of relief**
Pretty pink color on them also!
20170723_095949.jpg
(Insert witty signature here)
User avatar
Russ
Outlaw
Posts: 2277
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:31 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Corned beef bottom flat

Postby Russ » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:03 pm

Reubins ??? Yummy. Got me thinking now.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest