Jalapeño poppers

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Re: Jalapeño poppers

Postby outlaw » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:03 am

Ok, I am going to share 2 ways we do our stuffed peppers, one you are going to like, and another you are going to think is sacrilege since it is fried, but here goes:

1.) Find some decent sized peppers, cut the tops off, and core them out with a apple corer or whatever tool you prefer, wash and set aside. Then in a good size mixing bowl mix cream cheese, cooked and drained Jimmy Deans hot sausage or Italian sausage, fresh onion, and shredded pepper jack and mozzarella cheese. This is your stuffing mix. I like to make up a bunch at a time and freeze some cuz the flavors really meld over time. Anyway, stuff the peppers and them wrap with bacon covering the top to keep the stuffing from oozing out during the smoking process. Now, if I am serving with brisket, I sprinkle liberally with Montreal seasoning after securing the bacon with a toothpick (I need to know where to get some of those Willie pins). If I am serving pork, I sprinkle with Adkins or whatever my favored sweet rub is at the moment. I have a side box on my smoker so I put these in there where they smoke low and slow while I'm doing the entree. Most of the friends and family know they are in there when they come over and snag a couple every time they walk by. They are cheap to make, and people will fill up on them and not eat so much brisket. LOL

2.) The 2nd way is done a little different, with some of the same elements. Get bigger jalapenos with the stems, but these you are going to slice open length wise and open kind of like a clam shell. Leave the stems on for a convenient handle to eat with. Core and wash and set aside. I either stuff with leftover pulled pork, or brisket with some sauce for moisture. Then I will take and butterfly chicken breasts real thin and wrap the peppers you have stuffed. Then a strip of thin cheap bacon (it molds better) wraps and holds the chicken to the outside of the pepper. You could take these right now and throw on the smoker if you wanted, but on these we do an egg wash and roll them in Panko crumbs and throw in the deep fryer.

Just something a little different. I'm sure you can come up with your own variety of both of these and make them your own. Enjoy, but be prepared to make them for any and all get togethers when you ask what they want you to bring. I'll try to figure out how to get pictures off my phone and post some. If not, then the next time I make some I'll show.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:25 am

Ok, here is a few of the fried ones:
Attachments
19884182_1532279600126194_2933324235784938898_n.jpg
19748446_1532280293459458_5391057167849218140_n.jpg
19732015_1532279563459531_1382345603644321133_n.jpg
19731796_1532279616792859_4563509062221000520_n.jpg
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:47 am

Hmmmm, interesting concept on the Penner Poppers, Outlaw - - - - I've done them with many variations of fillers and wraps but never fried :dont: thanks, :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:54 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Hmmmm, interesting concept on the Penner Poppers, Outlaw - - - - I've done them with many variations of fillers and wraps but never fried :dont: thanks, :tup:

Sorry the pics suck, plus those were some of the first we did. I figured out the deeper the better when you have a pan of Panko crumbs so you don't have to handle them much to get a good coating. I like a little crisp to my veggies so thats why I used fresh peppers for these. I have also done the peppers with LaCostena pickled peppers rather than fresh and they are quite good too. Hard to keep the moisture down on them when frying tho, and they pop and carry on quite a bit. :D :D :D
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:31 am

I haven't ever fried any but I bet I could dang sho eat some of em!!!
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:31 pm

Here are a few. Some with pineapple, brisket, and pulled pork. I like the pineapple version. Just like my bride describes me - sweet, salty and spicy. LOL
Attachments
IMG_0713.JPG
IMG_0712.JPG
IMG_0711.JPG
IMG_0710.JPG
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:14 pm

Nice variety - - - I too like some sweetness in my ABTs and lately I have been craving Pineapple but haven't done anything about it - - - EGG, do you have a good Pineapple Salsa or Pico or ???? Recipes that can be used and abused :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:21 pm

Y'all are killing me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:51 pm

1 pic tells a whole story, nice pics and cook egg.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
88rxna
Rustler

Postby 88rxna » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:42 pm

Wow, great ideas!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:29 pm

Great pics outlaw, I'm going to try these this summer. Mid winter here just doesn't accommodate the BBQ ATM.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:25 am

:happ:
OldUsedParts wrote:Nice variety - - - I too like some sweetness in my ABTs and lately I have been craving Pineapple but haven't done anything about it - - - EGG, do you have a good Pineapple Salsa or Pico or ???? Recipes that can be used and abused :?:

I don't have any pineapple salsa recipes. I have done a mango pico a couple times that would welcome some pineapple. I would keep it simple and go light on the pepper and onion. Mango, jalapeno (sans seeds and veins), green onion, pineapple, red bell pepper, cilantro, and your favorite rub - Hoochie Mama would work.

Just finished my fourth batch of salsa - won't be planting so many tomatoes next year.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:37 am

thanks, Sir, I will be adding these ingredients to my gro list immediately :tup: :salut:
64bocephus
Pilgrim

Postby 64bocephus » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:12 pm

I wrap with maple bacon and put shrimp in them also

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”