?ain't broke? fix it anyway !

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

?ain't broke? fix it anyway !

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:39 pm

Got my extra grate from Lowe's today so now all I need is to fab some legs and then I can do at least one more rack of ribs or whatever fits when using my pellet pooper. Great quality and price, I thought, for $17 plus TTL
IMG_0002.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Re: ?ain't broke? fix it anyway !

Postby outlaw » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:56 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Got my extra grate from Lowe's today so now all I need is to fab some legs and then I can do at least one more rack of ribs or whatever fits when using my pellet pooper. Great quality and price, I thought, for $17 plus TTL
IMG_0002.JPG

What did you do? Stop to eat? Completed project pics or it didn't happen. Just sayin.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:58 pm

OUCH the Natives are brutal today :whiteflag: :laughing7: gotta get some hardware, Compadre :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:01 pm

Outlaw got ya Emm ^^^^^ :)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:02 pm

I'm working with a "Handicap" today - - - nuff said :whiteflag: :D
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:27 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:I'm working with a "Handicap" today - - - nuff said :whiteflag: :D

Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:30 am

Welps, I gotz da laigs on her and if Outlaw says anything about them not being painted ?yet? - I'm going to the Union Boss, Red Green :laughing7: :D :lol:

Speaking of painting the Legs ??? Since they won't be touching the food, per say, do I need to worry about "toxicity" from them just getting hot and being in there with the food :dont: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:06 pm

Voila!!! A couple of bolts......we call that kiwi ingenuity down here. !!

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:31 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Speaking of painting the Legs ??? Since they won't be touching the food, per say, do I need to worry about "toxicity" from them just getting hot and being in there with the food :dont: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Very nice mod OUP.
Run them bolts as is your'e good. ;)
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:21 am

Thanks, KAM :salut:
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:32 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Welps, I gotz da laigs on her and if Outlaw says anything about them not being painted ?yet? - I'm going to the Union Boss, Red Green :laughing7: :D :lol:

Speaking of painting the Legs ??? Since they won't be touching the food, per say, do I need to worry about "toxicity" from them just getting hot and being in there with the food :dont: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG

Slacker. :roll: :roll: You must have smelled something cooking and quit mid stream. Long as its just mild steel bolts, and not galvanized I'd just run with it if you are happy with the "shade tree" look. :lol: :lol: Very nice addition, I'm sure you can find some various road kill to put up there. As an aside tho, if you are ever doing something that had a tendency to dry out it would be a good place to but some fatty meat, bacon, water pan to help with moisture. I'm sure you are way ahead of me on that already.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:36 am

Good Points, ALL, Outlaw - - - I have certainly thought about what's on top drips "down" and maybe I should do a brisket with a pork belly on the top rack :laughing7: :D :lol:
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:55 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Good Points, ALL, Outlaw - - - I have certainly thought about what's on top drips "down" and maybe I should do a brisket with a pork belly on the top rack :laughing7: :D :lol:

I've done the same thing on my stick burner, or bacon wrapped peppers up there also imparts a real nice flavor as well.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:56 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Good Points, ALL, Outlaw - - - I have certainly thought about what's on top drips "down" and maybe I should do a brisket with a pork belly on the top rack :laughing7: :D :lol:

Just think about what a fattie up there would do. Yummmmmmmmmmm.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:56 am

outlaw wrote:if you are happy with the "shade tree" look. :lol: :lol:

:?: Shade Tree, you say :?: I was lucky to get by with these bolts because, when I ran my idea in front of the Review Board for approval, they first suggested that I use coat hangers for legs or they would revoke my Red Green Membership Card - - - However, after I explained it further they allowed the bolts, washers and nuts. Two of the Committee wanted to put me on Probation for a year but I talked them into settling for Close Observation Monitoring. :laughing7:

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”