the 3 R's ala S- O-S

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

the 3 R's ala S- O-S

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:37 pm

Rare ribeye, Russet side and Rabbit food ala SuckleBusters On Steak - - - this was my third Steak to grill with SuckleBusters Campfire Steak Seasoning and, like the previous two, it sure won't be my last. :tup: :salut: :cheers: I sure need to figger out why all of a sudden I'm not getting a dark sear even when I'm cooking directly over Hot Kingsford Charcoal :dont: The flavor couldn't be better but I miss the char/bark outside the rare center ????? I'm wondering if the Italian Dressing that I rub into both sides prior to grilling might be causing it :?: Does lump cook "hotter" that briquettes :?: if it does then maybe I'll get a bag of lump just for steak searing and grilling :roll:

That pitiful meat next to the Ribeye is the Wiffy's thin cut pork chop which she didn't eat. I had baked her a Yam and loaded it with butter, brown sugar and marshmellow creme so that turned out to be her Lunch. She's not much of a meat eater so I'm used to it. :dont:

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

Sorry bout the PP's (pathetic pics) :banghead:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: the 3 R's ala S- O-S

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:53 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hey buddy, you and I have had the ( Lump ) conv a few times so I won't push you towards it......

Buttttttttt...... Lolol
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:55 pm

And to answer your question..

Yes, I firmly believe it does burn hotter
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:34 pm

I'm hard headed but I am gonna get me a bag for steaks and searing cooks - - - what brand do you use :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:37 pm

Hey em
Pickup a set of Weber charcoal doohickey baskets
I use them for everything I grille on my Weber. I never spread the coals out.
Load them up with a chimney full of red hot briquettes. Leave all the vents wide open.
Grille them ribeyes indirect on the opposite side from the baskets to 110 -115 IT then set that hunk of cow directly on the grille over the basket of coals. Flip them a couple of times and probe till IT of 125-130.
I guarantee yull get the charing and nice crisby fat your looking for every time.
image.jpeg

Cheers
Bill
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: the 3 R's ala S- O-S

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:41 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:I'm hard headed but I am gonna get me a bag for steaks and searing cooks - - - what brand do you use :?:

Royal Oak from day 1, never looked back. Good luck Emm.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:43 pm

With a name like Doohickey, it was made for me - I'll see if Academy has Doohickey baskets and also get some Lump and then I'll either give Y'all credit or blame on my next bleeding Cow Part - - - thanks, ,Gents :salut:
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:58 pm

Sorry bud
I reread your post. If your looking for rare try cooking them indirect to a 100-110 IT or so. Then throw them over the baskets.

Bill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:27 pm

psssst, don't tell anyone but I "never" check the I.T. on a steak :dont: :scratch: :roll: :laughing7:
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:38 pm

I also wonder about the Italian dressing having anything to do with it. But even without the char it looked gooooood.
Moink!
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:14 am

Yes, the Italian dressing is part of the problem with the color, but it does impart a wonderful flavor. I only use lump charcoal for my steaks, and my favored brand is Stubbs when you can find it.I cook staeks on a PK grill with grill grates. They control the cook, put great grill marks on, and allow you to cook over direct heat which is the key to searing. I use two chimneys full of lump charcoal, spread them out and wait till the grill grates are at least 650 degrees. Place your steaks,3 min turn 45degrees for grill marks. At 6 min turn over and repeat. always remember to rest the meat before cutting. This is pretty close for a 1 1/4" ribeye med rare to med. I must admit, I had to learn this from my son, but as you can see below he kinda knows what he is doing: multiple World Champions in steak cook offs.

http://www.smokehouserats.com/
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:56 am

thanks for that data, Outlaw, :salut: now to decide whether the Italian Dressing is that important to my taste Hmmmmmmmm :scratch:
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:06 am

OldUsedParts wrote:thanks for that data, Outlaw, :salut: now to decide whether the Italian Dressing is that important to my taste Hmmmmmmmm :scratch:

We just took out a couple chicken thighs yesterday that were marinated in a barbecue sauce AND frozen. Patted them dry once they thawed, and got excellent sear marks. So maybe keep the dressing but dry the surface?
Last edited by Sailor Kenshin on Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:39 am

thanks, Sailor, would certainly be worth a try - - - nuttin like the best of both worlds, if I can be so lucky - - - think I'll lump'it, pat'it and sear'it next time and hopefully find the magic - - - kinda weird that I'd want to do anything different since it was delicious BUT I guess that's just the nature of Grilling, huh?
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:52 am

OldUsedParts wrote:thanks, Sailor, would certainly be worth a try - - - nuttin like the best of both worlds, if I can be so lucky - - - think I'll lump'it, pat'it and sear'it next time and hopefully find the magic - - - kinda weird that I'd want to do anything different since it was delicious BUT I guess that's just the nature of Grilling, huh?

That patting dry might be the key. My stepson on the team above has a whole regimen he goes through for his "competition" steaks, which to my taste are seasoned pretty heavily. He says he only has one bite to WOW the judges, hence the heavy rub. He also says its very important to let the steaks reach room temperature, put the rub on till it turns into a glaze from the steaks moisture, and then cook. He has gone back and forth about putting a pat of butter on them as well. I don't remember what he decided was the best for them. Another thing that his team does is order freshly ground spices (like ground that week) but I have been sworn to secrecy about where he sources them. After all, there is big money to be won on that circuit. Hope it helps, and if you have any questions, either send them to me, or send them to Smokehouse Rats directly.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”