Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes

Postby egghead » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:00 pm

we have beau coup tomatoes. That's French for "we have tomatoes coming out of our wazoo". What's a wazoo? 8)

It's my fault. Started 90+ plants from seed. Was able to give away all but 35.

Got some biguns too

The biguns are nice but not the best. Skin is tough and lose 15-20% when skinning and coring. Nice flavor though.

Have made two batches of fire roasted salsa and will do a third batch today or tomorrow.

Also made some homemade tomato soup. Look at a couple recipes. Both called for heavy cream. Onions and garlic went into the vitamin and then about 2-1/2# of peeled and cored tomatoes. Added around 15 basil leaves then tasted. Didn't need heavy cream.

Then some homemade tomatoe sauce. Peeled and cored more tomatoes and cold smoked them along with an onion and garlic. Cooked it down to thicken.

Pulled out some smoked jalapeño and cheese venison sausage out of the freezer and sliced some onion and peppers. After sweating the veggies, added some fine chopped garlic, Tony Chachere's and a few cranks of black pepper.

Then the sausage went in

Finally the pasta and some sauce

Dang - it's good
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:33 pm

Just plain Awesome and Beautiful (and from seed) :salut: - - - - Gulf Coast Color at it's very Best :tup: :cheers: :texas:

Egg, have you ever had or raised the Cherokee Purple Mater :?: :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:14 pm

Haven't had the opportunity to raise a CPM. Haven't heard of them.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:19 pm

Very hard to find in plant form around here but since you can raise from seeds you might give a few your expertise :dont: The few that I managed to raise had the best flavor I have ever tasted in a mater.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Beautiful tomato garden, ditto the food. I'm drooling!

We grew Cherokee Purples two years in a row. It's one of my favorites, with excellent flavor and 'snap,' but the second year, most of them cracked. :dont:

I could say the same for Black Krim and Black Prince. Love the purple and black tomatoes.
Moink!
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:10 pm

Purty fixins!!
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:03 pm

We have been canning diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and salsa out the wazoo. We picked 140 lbs. (not a typo) today. :shock: :shock: :shock:
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:07 pm

Hey Egg, what's the story on those scales - - - a possible Family Heirloom maybe :?: :dont:
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:18 pm

Wife also grows her tomatoes from seed, it started about 4 years ago we got a real nice tomatoe, so we took seeds from a few tomatoes and grew from there. It's easy as and very satisfying . And then to pick and make our own tomatoe sauce. Ketchup to you guys but we got about 30 litres of sauce, I also made up 4 x 2 litre containers of pasta sauce with basil and oregano , also from our garden. Winter here now so no crops for a while. A good frost here today,brrrr.

Nice looking garden to egg.

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:40 pm

Doesn't rain a bunch in Corpus. But had a nice rainbow over the house while picking yesterday's tomatoes.

XL, Small, and Mini BGE
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:43 pm

You are very lucky egg, I'm so envious of your weather ATM. Do you have a greenhouse ? My wife just bought a wee one for her chillies. I think a bigger one may be on her list now,lol.

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:47 pm

:tup: :texas: Gulf Coast Riviera and Beautiful :cheers:
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:59 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Hey Egg, what's the story on those scales - - - a possible Family Heirloom maybe :?: :dont:

My grandma had a scale like that when I was a little kid... so you know it is old. :laughing7: The Pelouze Family Scale was circa 1930s.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:18 pm

Mom gave me the scale many years ago. Probably because I collected scales when living in Scotland.
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:16 am

Thanks, Egg, it is a beauty and even better "it's being used and enjoyed" :tup: :salut: :cheers:

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”