Which Brand Pellets are best

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Which Brand Pellets are best

Postby bobcat1 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:12 pm

I know what flavors I want. Which brand burns the best and is efficient? :scratch:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Which Brand Pellets are best

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:15 pm

I buy all my pellets at Academy and they are B & B brand - - - main reason I buy there is because they always have plenty of choices. I have never had any trouble with their performance either.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:18 pm

I like the rec-tec ultimate blend for long cooks and the traeger apple and cherry for shorter cooks like ribs.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:16 pm

The B&B I bought had so much dust that it jammed my auger. Never again.

I only buy CookinPellets Perfect Mix -- get it by the pallet load, so it is reasonably priced.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:56 am

Okie Sawbones wrote:The B&B I bought had so much dust that it jammed my auger. Never again.

I only buy CookinPellets Perfect Mix -- get it by the pallet load, so it is reasonably priced.

Exactly what I did. Great product and customer service.
RecTec pellets are CookingPellets Perfect Mix. When I received my RecTec 680 they gave me a 40 lb bag of pellets along with my purchase of the smoker. They where the Perfect Mix from CookingPellets.

Bill
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:08 am

Okie Sawbones wrote:The B&B I bought had so much dust that it jammed my auger. Never again.

I have used lots of different pellets in the past 20 years and find most are good. My go to pellets are oak made by BBQ Delight in Arkansas.
My worst experience with pellets happened to be using Cookin Pellets Perfect Mix but I don't condemn them I believe I got a batch that were bad (they were too long and dense) that broke my auger coupling during a comp.
The pellets that I like least have too much dust either fine dust or the bigger chip dust but I have never experienced an auger jam because of the dust.
The best way to get good pellets is to get into a group buy getting a pallet ( 1 ton) or more at a time direct from the manufacturer.
tarde venientibus ossa....
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:56 am

May have been my fault, because I never clean the auger channel -- to difficult. I literally had to chip out the dust and pellets with a hammer and a long, skinny screwdriver. Took two hours. A bent coat hanger did the rest. Soured me on B&B.

Fast forward -- I now use a colander with holes big enough to let dust out but keep the pellets in. I scoop the pellets out of the bag and give them a good shake, then pour them in the hopper. Never had another jam.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:11 pm

:tup: I'm liking that colander iddie big time just as "extra" precaution :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:26 pm

I had some dusty pellets I wanted to use so I just set up a box fan then poured the pellets from the bag into a bucket in the air stream.
The dust blew all over my driveway the pellets went into the bucket.....

Just a note if your pit does not have a cool down cycle never shut down the pit hot, switch to "Smoke" for 15 min or so B4 shutting down so heat will juice the lignon out of the pellets/dust in the auger tube and jam the auger. Learned that one the hard way.
tarde venientibus ossa....

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”