Brisket Question

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

kp33
Wrangler
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:42 am
Contact:

Brisket Question

Postby kp33 » Sun May 28, 2017 5:10 pm

Cooking a brisket and when checking internal temp I have a difference of 5-35 degrees between different areas. Any advice? Is the low number the real number because maybe the high number Im hitting fat? Thanks
User avatar
Txdragon
Deputy
Posts: 3065
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 3:13 pm
Location: Forney, TX
Contact:

Re: Brisket Question

Postby Txdragon » Sun May 28, 2017 6:01 pm

I don't monitor temps like that personally. I believe that's all rubbish! Each piece of meat is going to cook differently so I just probe it in the thickest part of the flat when I think it's done, and when the probe inserts like butter, you're golden!! :cheers:
(Insert witty signature here)
User avatar
k.a.m.
Outlaw
Posts: 2083
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Brisket Question

Postby k.a.m. » Sun May 28, 2017 6:40 pm

The only place I check is in the center of the flat half way up from the end. That temp along with the color of the brisket before I pan it is the one I work with.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

Image

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
kp33
Wrangler
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:42 am
Contact:

Re: Brisket Question

Postby kp33 » Sun May 28, 2017 6:53 pm

k.a.m. wrote:The only place I check is in the center of the flat half way up from the end. That temp along with the color of the brisket before I pan it is the one I work with.


Do you go in from the side towards the middle or probe right through the top in the middle?
User avatar
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon
Posts: 2542
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:37 pm
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: Brisket Question

Postby woodenvisions » Sun May 28, 2017 6:55 pm

Txdragon wrote:I don't monitor temps like that personally. I believe that's all rubbish! Each piece of meat is going to cook differently so I just probe it in the thickest part of the flat when I think it's done, and when the probe inserts like butter, you're golden!! :cheers:

+1 ^^^^^^
User avatar
k.a.m.
Outlaw
Posts: 2083
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Brisket Question

Postby k.a.m. » Sun May 28, 2017 7:04 pm

kp33 wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:The only place I check is in the center of the flat half way up from the end. That temp along with the color of the brisket before I pan it is the one I work with.


Do you go in from the side towards the middle or probe right through the top in the middle?

On the top. I place the probe at about a 45° and an inch in. The angle is so that when I slide out the grate I do not catch the probe on my top grate.
1488157_685019724870961_378580753_n (1).jpg
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

Image

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
kp33
Wrangler
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:42 am
Contact:

Re: Brisket Question

Postby kp33 » Sun May 28, 2017 7:20 pm

k.a.m. wrote:
kp33 wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:The only place I check is in the center of the flat half way up from the end. That temp along with the color of the brisket before I pan it is the one I work with.


Do you go in from the side towards the middle or probe right through the top in the middle?

On the top. I place the probe at about a 45° and an inch in. The angle is so that when I slide out the grate I do not catch the probe on my top grate.
1488157_685019724870961_378580753_n (1).jpg


Yeah not sure what happened this time...never had that happen....thanks for the pic.
kp33
Wrangler
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:42 am
Contact:

Re: Brisket Question

Postby kp33 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:35 am

Txdragon wrote:I don't monitor temps like that personally. I believe that's all rubbish! Each piece of meat is going to cook differently so I just probe it in the thickest part of the flat when I think it's done, and when the probe inserts like butter, you're golden!! :cheers:


So basically you take your meat thermometer probe stick it in the thickest part of the flat and if it slides in with no issues then it's done that easy huh I'll give it a shot
rockinar
Pilgrim
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:30 am
Contact:

Re: Brisket Question

Postby rockinar » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:28 am

kp33 wrote:Cooking a brisket and when checking internal temp I have a difference of 5-35 degrees between different areas. Any advice? Is the low number the real number because maybe the high number Im hitting fat? Thanks



You dont cook a brisket to temp. You cook it till its probe tender. You just monitor temp to see where you're at in the cook.
Chris6
Pilgrim
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:48 am
Contact:

Re: Brisket Question

Postby Chris6 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:53 am

:dont: Recently, I just tried a new recipe.
Chris6
Pilgrim
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:48 am
Contact:

Re: Brisket Question

Postby Chris6 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:23 am

:deadhorse: I want to know that too.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests