Sharing some color with Texas

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Sharing some color with Texas

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu May 18, 2017 12:50 pm

WOW, awesome Wild Bill - - - there's sumptin bout a Sunset that nothing else can match :tup: :salut: :cheers: The Sunsets are just one of the many things I miss from not living in the Hill Country any longer. sniff sniff :(
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Thu May 18, 2017 4:42 pm

I concur with oup, beautiful shot, are the cows for milking or retired?

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Thu May 18, 2017 5:28 pm

Thanks OUP and Russ

There young Heifers Russ. Haven't been bred yet. Probably get bred next spring ,will be milk producers from then on in one of our many local dairy farms.

Bill
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Thu May 18, 2017 5:50 pm

I didn't realise your area was a dairy producer, I heard the other day in the car on the radio that nz was the worlds biggest producer of dairy products. Unbelievable. You must have cheese factories as well. We love our cheese here.

Russ
tasso-hunter USER_AVATAR
Tasso-Hunter
Rustler

Postby Tasso-Hunter » Sat May 20, 2017 4:07 am

Kiwiruss wrote:I didn't realise your area was a dairy producer, I heard the other day in the car on the radio that nz was the worlds biggest producer of dairy products. Unbelievable. You must have cheese factories as well. We love our cheese here.

Russ

Russ, I know that NZ is the biggest producer of kiwifruit....I've never heard about NZ dairy. But which kind of dairy? cow or goat's milk?
Sometimes a passion needs just a spark to light and become a big fire that will never die...
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Sat May 20, 2017 5:21 pm

Dairy here is huge, to the detriment of our streams and rivers IMO. Milk tankers everywhere. Giggle Westland dairy , for a small town like hokitika dairy is massive.

Russ
tasso-hunter USER_AVATAR
Tasso-Hunter
Rustler

Postby Tasso-Hunter » Sun May 21, 2017 5:56 am

Kiwiruss wrote:Dairy here is huge, to the detriment of our streams and rivers IMO. Milk tankers everywhere. Giggle Westland dairy , for a small town like hokitika dairy is massive.

Russ

Russ, just googled Hokitika and what can I say....You live in a wonderful place! OMG! I just fell in love of NZ :rose:
Sometimes a passion needs just a spark to light and become a big fire that will never die...
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun May 21, 2017 8:13 am

X2 - - - Not long ago Russ shared an Outdoor Comedy Drama DVD with me and the first thing I noticed was the abundance of "DIFFERENT TYPE" areas so close together and yet enjoyable. One scene in the Movie I was looking at Creek Bottom Vegetation and there were Snow Capped Mtns "also" in the background but yet not the drastic change of elevation that we have in the States. In East Texas we have what we call Palmettos but they are only seen in lower areas where the water drainage is constant (there's also Skeeters in abundance there :laughing7: ) - - However, in the Kiwi Movie there was a similar "looking" plant within view of the snow. :shock: :dont:

I imagine that our Neighbors to the Left have something similar :D :dont: :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Sun May 21, 2017 5:03 pm

Tasso, I knew you would like hokitika , I have friends here who hunt deer and pigs. The bush there is amazing. I nearly bought a section there about 20 years ago. I still kick myself at not doing it. The drive from Christchurch to hokitika is a 2 1/2 drive over Arthur's pass, an often snow laden trip over the top.

Oup I see movies from your country and often can compare with parts of my country. A family I know from the UK moved here after a trip down here, they couldn't believe how you can do anything within an hour from my town, fishing hunting skiing surfing gliding parachute jumping, you name it. We are very spoilt.

Russ
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun May 21, 2017 5:08 pm

Kiwiruss wrote: they couldn't believe how you can do anything within an hour from my town, fishing hunting skiing surfing gliding parachute jumping, you name it. We are very spoilt. Russ

THAT was the main thing that blew me away also - - - here in Tejas skiing is a tad more than an hour away - - - :laughing7:
tasso-hunter USER_AVATAR
Tasso-Hunter
Rustler

Postby Tasso-Hunter » Tue May 23, 2017 3:06 am

Yeah Russ, you understand which kind of places I love...I hope to visit NZ in future, I know that it is a just wonderful land. And, why not, spend a weekend of hunting and fishing :laughing7:
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Tue May 23, 2017 5:10 pm

Tasso, I can put you in touch with some serious hunters on the west coast, I've done business for 30 years on the west coast and knowvheapsvof people. You would love fiordland.

Russ
tasso-hunter USER_AVATAR
Tasso-Hunter
Rustler

Postby Tasso-Hunter » Wed May 24, 2017 3:57 am

Kiwiruss wrote:Tasso, I can put you in touch with some serious hunters on the west coast, I've done business for 30 years on the west coast and knowvheapsvof people. You would love fiordland.

Russ

Oh thank you very much Russ! I' really appreciate it. When will come on the day of my departure you'll be the first to know it and I'll ask you a lot of precious advice ;)
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Wed May 24, 2017 10:01 pm

My least favorite plant on the property.
Wacked the crap out of it 3 weeks ago with the Stihl hedge trimmer hoping I could kill it.....but the darned thing recovered :roll:

3 weeks later.....
My wife's Wisteria....

Bill
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Wed May 24, 2017 10:16 pm

Lol, I read it as wife's hysteria, perhaps I wasn't wrong at all? Lol. Nice pic, my trees just about all stripped as winter is on us soon.
I do love autumn colours though.

Russ

Return to “General Discussion”