New-to-me rotisserie!

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

New-to-me rotisserie!

Postby Txdragon » Mon May 01, 2017 8:59 am

The wife and I try to stop into thrift stores and antique shops when we can to look for kitchen gadgets and goodies. We found this little gem yesterday, and for 15 bucks. I cleaned it up even more from what they did for it, and the difference was incredible! It's a Ronco Showtime BBQ and rotisserie. Not sure of an exact model number but it's pretty big. This is a 10 lb broiler and looks like there will be PLENTY room left when it's loaded. Lol! Anywho.. Today I will plop this chicken on it and put it through its paces. Can't wait til dinnertime tonight!!
20170501_084707.jpg
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: New-to-me rotisserie!

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 01, 2017 9:10 am

nuttin like a Toy to play with, especially the Kookin Kind :tup: the only thing I have ever noticed about those rotiz chickens that are cooked and ready in the stores are that they are some what "dry" ??? Good Luck with this and post'em up when ya get'em :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Mon May 01, 2017 10:33 am

Never used one, looking forward to a report and pic's. :cheers:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon May 01, 2017 2:12 pm

Just about past the halfway point and it looks pretty good so far!
20170501_140329.jpg
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 01, 2017 2:59 pm

Purdy Epidermis fo sho :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon May 01, 2017 4:37 pm

I see why the previous owner got rid of it. It squeaks pretty harsh.. Sounds like somebody trying to play the trumpet in short bursts. Lol. This will be an outdoor cook item moving forward!!
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Mon May 01, 2017 5:51 pm

Txdragon wrote:I see why the previous owner got rid of it. It squeaks pretty harsh.. Sounds like somebody trying to play the trumpet in short bursts. Lol. This will be an outdoor cook item moving forward!!

Must be a rotisserie thing,lol, I recently did a pig in one, the gearbox that turned the spit also had a whine, luckily it was outside so I didn't have to put up with it. Very annoying.
Btw, a 10 lb chicken, heck, that's huge, our chickens are around 3 to 4 lb. that's almost a turkey???

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon May 01, 2017 7:17 pm

Txdragon wrote:I see why the previous owner got rid of it. It squeaks pretty harsh.. Sounds like somebody trying to play the trumpet in short bursts. Lol. This will be an outdoor cook item moving forward!!

Needs a new fan belt. :mrgreen:

Seriously, could the bearings or gears or whatever be lubed with something non-poisonous?
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 01, 2017 7:25 pm

Like high heat fry oil :tup:

"T" does it squeak at first or after it gets hot? If it has to heat up first then it could be a part expanding and rubbing so some tweekin might be possible. :dont:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon May 01, 2017 9:23 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Like high heat fry oil :tup:

"T" does it squeak at first or after it gets hot? If it has to heat up first then it could be a part expanding and rubbing so some tweekin might be possible. :dont:

It was after it warmed up.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon May 01, 2017 9:27 pm

Color is a tad deceiving because of my shadow.. Nice crispy skin and wonderful flavor! This bird was tough and dry... I want to try another in a vertical roast on the pit before I swear off "roasting hens". I have never had a chicken so tough and dry before now. I don't get it. **shrug** If beer can style can't help them, I'll never buy another again..
Attachments
20170501_183820.jpg
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Tue May 02, 2017 2:59 am

Look's good. :cheers: :salut:
Maybe if you inject it and then spray/baste it while it's cooking it wouldn't turn out so dry. :dont: :dont:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue May 02, 2017 7:01 am

Txdragon wrote:Color is a tad deceiving because of my shadow.. Nice crispy skin and wonderful flavor! This bird was tough and dry... I want to try another in a vertical roast on the pit before I swear off "roasting hens". I have never had a chicken so tough and dry before now. I don't get it. **shrug** If beer can style can't help them, I'll never buy another again..

As I mentioned earlier, that has always been my complaint about rotisserie chicken. :dont:
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue May 02, 2017 8:38 am

Txdragon wrote:Color is a tad deceiving because of my shadow.. Nice crispy skin and wonderful flavor! This bird was tough and dry... I want to try another in a vertical roast on the pit before I swear off "roasting hens". I have never had a chicken so tough and dry before now. I don't get it. **shrug** If beer can style can't help them, I'll never buy another again..

Please forgive my presumption...but it's a hen. They're meant to be simmered for stock and soup. Try a regular chicken next time and see how it goes.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue May 02, 2017 9:19 am

Here's an owners manual online and on page 18 they mention "injecting" so you might browse thru this when you get time. :dont:
https://www.ronco.com/media/wysiwyg/pdf ... e-oven.pdf
Also, here's a Blog page on the Showtime Squeak Problem
http://rec.food.equipment.narkive.com/v ... erie-noise

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”