Seasoned Skillet Steak Sacrifice

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Seasoned Skillet Steak Sacrifice

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:31 pm

Had a nice bone-in Ribeye all ready to go over some Kingsford charcoal but Texas Gulf Coast weather prevented that from happening. When it was obvious that it wasn't going to let up, especially the 12 mph gusty blows from all directions, I decided to get my good C.I.Skillet out and pan fry it. Bottom line is that it was OK but I'll never do one like that again. :whiteflag: I haven't done steak in a skillet in several decades (yup I said decades) and now I know why. greasy greasy greasy :roll:

Now to clean up the skillet and reseason :banghead:

Ribeye1.jpg
IMG_0020.JPG
IMG_0024.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Seasoned Skillet Steak Sacrifice

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:18 pm

I hear people say they cook great steaks in the oven with CI. I just don't know how…I gotta have that flame and am hooked on the flavor of mesquite lump on my steaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:19 pm

It does look like a good cook though OUP.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:28 pm

I agree, Sooner, and I'm sure some can do them up right but there's just sumptin bout dat Skeet and Smoke that just works for my taste buds. :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:53 pm

I actually prefer to reverse sear but use the cast iron for the sear after indirect at about 250-275. That way I get the smoke but also get the crust I like from the cast iron.
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:57 pm

castironchris wrote:I actually prefer to reverse sear but use the cast iron for the sear after indirect at about 250-275. That way I get the smoke but also get the crust I like from the cast iron.

I've done that…best of both worlds.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:08 pm

No way I could'a got a smoke flavor with this wind we're having - - unless I cooked it in the shop with the door closed :whiteflag: I was also out of olive oil and had to use Canola - - - just one more of my many bad choices today :dont:
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:12 pm

next time don't use the Italian dressing. its what is making the mess in the skillet.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:46 pm

I volunteer to take it off your hands. ;)

(Just used Italian dressing on some chicken, lol)
Moink!
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:46 pm

Em, next time get ur cast iron as hot as you can, like almost white hot. In the meantime preheat ur oven to 425/450.

Once ur Skillet is hot, rub Grapeseed oil on both sides of ur steak, lay it in the skillet for ONE minute, flip it and then put the entire skillet in ur oven.
Check it in 5 minutes.

Say what u want, but until u taste a steak cooked like this, don't knock it.

PS, open ur windows and put ur fan on before u introduce that steak into the skillet.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:08 pm

woodenvisions wrote:PS, open ur windows and put ur fan on before u introduce that steak into the skillet.

brings back memories of my First Blackened Redfish Cook - - - the Kitchen was so full of smoke that my D.I.L. had to sit on the floor to read the timer for me. :laughing7: :D :lol:

Pard, I'm sure that your technique is a good'un but unless I'm trapped inside with a thawed Steak, they'll go over Miss-Skeet and Charcoal from now on. :laughing7:
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:47 pm

the way my grandmother did hers was to heat up her CI skillet on the stove
and turn on the broiler
place the steak in the skillet and then under the broiler at the same time
worked for her Image
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:57 pm

I do mine on a skillet but I use equal butter and virgin oil, then cook. Good clean cooks. Good marking on the steaks.

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Seasoned Skillet Steak Sacrifice

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:39 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:[quote="woodenvisions"]PS, open ur windows and put ur fan on before u introduce that steak into the skillet.

brings back memories of my First Blackened Redfish Cook - - - the Kitchen was so full of smoke that my D.I.L. had to sit on the floor to read the timer for me. :laughing7: :D :lol:

Pard, I'm sure that your technique is a good'un but unless I'm trapped inside with a thawed Steak, they'll go over Miss-Skeet and Charcoal from now on. :laughing7:[/quote]
Understood
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:00 pm

OUP

Back over the holidays, from just before thanksgiving to just after the New Year, I was over doing some work in Nigeria. It was a 7- 1/2 week trip. So I went to costco before I went and and loaded up on meat that I packaged individually. Froze and then put in cooler bags and carried it with me. Center cut pork chops, burgers, boneless skinless thighs, and I took around 15 rib eyes with me. All of which I cooked in a non stick skillet, with nothing as far as butter or any oils of any type. Just seasoned and threw them in the pan. All the rib eyes turned out great. Even the one I had the night I forgot to turn the burner off and it set off the fire alarm, which was tied into the fire department on the compound I was staying at. They were not to amused.

It was also my first time at buying Costco meat, which I was pleasantly pleased with the quality.

Greg R.

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”