New member-New to smoking in KCMO

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

finsup13 USER_AVATAR
FinsUp13
Pilgrim

New member-New to smoking in KCMO

Postby FinsUp13 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:24 pm

Hi,
I'm from Kansas City, MO used to live in Austin.
I'm new to smoking and I have a Masterbuilt non-digital electric smoker.
I've done a spiral cut ham, and it would have turned out great if I hadn't put a rub on it. I've also done a couple pork butts for pulled pork and those turned out ok...to me there was too much smoke flavor. I found out after that you do not have to keep putting in chips the whole cook time!! :dont:

I've now been asked to try doing a brisket or 2 for Easter...I'm a bit scared :shock: and certainly don't want to screw it up! I found this site by googling about smoking a brisket in electric smoker, I'm looking for any & all info I can get to produce a decent brisket and feed about 20 people on Easter!! :chef:

I can't wait to dig in and learn!! Any ideas or threads I should direct my attent to, please...let me know!!
FinsUp!
Have a Great Day!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: New member-New to smoking in KCMO

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:40 pm

Welcome to the Forum - - - no doubt you'll get the advise and info that you need here to pull off a great Easter Feast :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:24 pm

Welcome!
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
bladerunner USER_AVATAR
BladeRunner
Rustler

Postby BladeRunner » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:19 pm

Ok Fins...
First off - welcome to forum.
Second - Easter.

The first thing I would do is go buy 2 briskets. You're gonna cook both of them before Easter. One this weekend, one next. Then you'll have a week or two without brisket.
The idea here is practice.
You don't go to the NBA without taking a few free throws in the driveway, right?
Trimming fat off a packer brisket-
If you aren't skilled at trimming a brisket, Aaron Franklin has a YouTube video where he was teaching some students at Texas A&M. That's how I started. But you can also buy a trimmed brisket and worry about trimming when you have more time.

Grade-
Some people only buy Choice, other people only buy Prime. It's a matter of opinion and cost. For your first ones- no one here should fault you for going with Choice. The grade of the meat won't help you if it's over/under cooked.

Seasoning-
This is my personal preference. I get garlic granules and sprinkle it lightly (like a snow flurry) over the entire brisket. Then Salt and Pepper (50/50 mix) all over. I use course ground black pepper and course sea salt. I usually get them in the bulk section of my grocery store.
I don't put the rub on until about 30 minutes before I'm about to put the meat on the pit.

What's next?
The pit-
250 at least. No less... or not much less.

Fat up or fat down-
The fat cap is easily recognizable on a brisket. One side is mostly red meat and flat. The other side is humped and covered in a layer of fat. For me and my pit- fat goes up. You have an electric smoker, and the heat is coming from the bottom... I'd put the fat down. Its easy to start and argument on here if you talk about fat cap. Thought you should know.

Time and temp-
I smoke until about 155-165 (well into the stall). Then I wrap in thick heavy duty foil (another thing folks like to argue about but I don't have butcher paper hanging around my store). At 185 or so, I take it out of the foil until I get to 203-207. Poke the point and flat with the meat probe. Should go in like butter when it's done.
I used to smoke through the stall. I'd only wrap at 185 and then open it up for the bark to harden. Those turned out really nice, just changed my kind one day.
I usually start about 5:30a and we're ready to eat by 6:30 pm.

Don't forget to rest the meat at least 45-60 minutes. The muscles won't release the moisture until the meat cools. 165-170ish is usually when I start slicing. You just want it to get there gradually.

Slicing- check YouTube. Tons out there for what to do.

Take pictures and taste it. Don't think you got it right? Post a question to the group. Share those food pictures... or else.

Maybe more than what you bargained for here- but if you've got Easter in the balance, I figured you've got no time to lose.

If you change something between cooks- change just one thing. I keep a brisket diary.

Happy cookings.
Attachments
IMG_7989.JPG
IMG_7819.JPG
IMG_7817.JPG
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:43 am

Welcome !!! :salut:
finsup13 USER_AVATAR
FinsUp13
Pilgrim

Postby FinsUp13 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:16 am

Thanks everyone for the welcome!! I know I'm going to learn so much from you guys!! :D

Bladerunner...YOU ROCK!!
I'm going to print this out and save, and I will definitely make notes & take picks!! I want a method that is "easy" and less complicated...you're ideas seem to head me down that path!
I will have to try to find a small brisket to practice with this weekend!
Thanks Again! I appreciate it!!

BladeRunner wrote:Ok Fins...
First off - welcome to forum.
Second - Easter.

The first thing I would do is go buy 2 briskets. You're gonna cook both of them before Easter. One this weekend, one next. Then you'll have a week or two without brisket.
The idea here is practice.
You don't go to the NBA without taking a few free throws in the driveway, right?
Trimming fat off a packer brisket-
If you aren't skilled at trimming a brisket, Aaron Franklin has a YouTube video where he was teaching some students at Texas A&M. That's how I started. But you can also buy a trimmed brisket and worry about trimming when you have more time.

Grade-
Some people only buy Choice, other people only buy Prime. It's a matter of opinion and cost. For your first ones- no one here should fault you for going with Choice. The grade of the meat won't help you if it's over/under cooked.

Seasoning-
This is my personal preference. I get garlic granules and sprinkle it lightly (like a snow flurry) over the entire brisket. Then Salt and Pepper (50/50 mix) all over. I use course ground black pepper and course sea salt. I usually get them in the bulk section of my grocery store.
I don't put the rub on until about 30 minutes before I'm about to put the meat on the pit.

What's next?
The pit-
250 at least. No less... or not much less.

Fat up or fat down-
The fat cap is easily recognizable on a brisket. One side is mostly red meat and flat. The other side is humped and covered in a layer of fat. For me and my pit- fat goes up. You have an electric smoker, and the heat is coming from the bottom... I'd put the fat down. Its easy to start and argument on here if you talk about fat cap. Thought you should know.

Time and temp-
I smoke until about 155-165 (well into the stall). Then I wrap in thick heavy duty foil (another thing folks like to argue about but I don't have butcher paper hanging around my store). At 185 or so, I take it out of the foil until I get to 203-207. Poke the point and flat with the meat probe. Should go in like butter when it's done.
I used to smoke through the stall. I'd only wrap at 185 and then open it up for the bark to harden. Those turned out really nice, just changed my kind one day.
I usually start about 5:30a and we're ready to eat by 6:30 pm.

Don't forget to rest the meat at least 45-60 minutes. The muscles won't release the moisture until the meat cools. 165-170ish is usually when I start slicing. You just want it to get there gradually.

Slicing- check YouTube. Tons out there for what to do.

Take pictures and taste it. Don't think you got it right? Post a question to the group. Share those food pictures... or else.

Maybe more than what you bargained for here- but if you've got Easter in the balance, I figured you've got no time to lose.

If you change something between cooks- change just one thing. I keep a brisket diary.

Happy cookings.
FinsUp!
Have a Great Day!
down_south USER_AVATAR
Down_South
Wrangler

Postby Down_South » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:12 pm

Welcome. Here's another option.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28854
~Aaron
captjack USER_AVATAR