Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dirty dawg USER_AVATAR
Dirty Dawg
Pilgrim

Re: Just Bought A Yoder Loaded Wichita

Postby Dirty Dawg » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:09 pm

txsmkmstr wrote:^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Good points DD.... I'm glad to hear your cooker is working for you. Looking back I can see where this should have been split into two separate threads. Both sides can be fairly represented here. Hope you'll stick around and share some pictures of your new rig. Best of luck to you in your comps and catering gigs. :salut:

Thank you Sir. I agree, these should be entirely separate threads but it is what it is at this point. Just hope readers will recognize there's more than one opinion represented here. And since you asked... here's the new rig.
Attachments
IMG_1329.JPG
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:42 am

Dirty Dawg wrote: If you're having difficulty, I suggest you light a paper towel, place it near the log lighter, and slowly open the valve....

I've been using half of a paper towel but don't really care for it - many times the paper goes out or simply smolders. So, I've switched to cotton balls. I keep several in a zip lock bag - pull one out and toss it on the wood. Lights in a nanosecond and give a good clean burn for a much longer time.

My (since sold) trailer pit had a log lighter built into the sidewall. I configured an electronic spark ignition to it - no more matches or paper towels. I haven't quite figured out how to rig one up on my insulated firebox but that mod is still churning around in my head.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
dirty dawg USER_AVATAR
Dirty Dawg
Pilgrim

Postby Dirty Dawg » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:21 pm

txsmkmstr wrote:I've switched to cotton balls. I keep several in a zip lock bag - pull one out and toss it on the wood. Lights in a nanosecond and give a good clean burn for a much longer time.

That'll work like a champ.
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:38 pm

Cotton balls soaked in 151 burn great too
slamkeys USER_AVATAR
slamkeys
Rustler

Postby slamkeys » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:47 pm

Dirty Dawg wrote:
txsmkmstr wrote:And since you asked... here's the new rig.

Now that does look like a Ferrari. Who built it?
Yoder Loaded Wichita 2016
Big Green Egg 2014
a075923
Pilgrim

Postby a075923 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:08 pm

Dirty Dawg wrote:I hate seeing that my post has been turned into a beat-down of Yoder with potential customers being turned away from a product I've been extremely pleased with. As I mentioned previously, my welds look beautiful, I have no problems with the vent/draft once the cooker has warmed up and the meats I've produced are second to none. In fact, I've enjoyed this little hobby so much that I just put $6K into a trailer mounted cooker and hope to find a little success in competition and catering.

As for cost, yes Yoder is a bit more expensive than some others but under what I consider "Ferrari" level of a Jambo or similar custom built cooker. I sincerely believe you get what you pay for with Yoder. You are welcome to disagree, vociferously if you must, but that does not make you right.

Adios.

DD I don't think I'm seeing a beat down of the Wichita Loaded specifically or Yoder in general; I think people spending upwards/over $3,000 want to get the best bang for the buck. Some may move up to the Yoder Kingman, others may look at reviews of other builders in the same price range, and many will still buy the Loaded Wichita. It's obvious owners of The Wichita Loaded have adapted to the quirks of the smoker and state they love the smoker (you and T-Roy come to mind). We all, me included, may take a chance on a different smoker hoping to find one without quirks. Likely we're chasing a silver bullet.

Yoder has an excellent reputation and build good smokers, sell all they can build, I think rather than beat down it is just the market moving around.

I appreciate your excellent report on the Yoder Loaded Wichita, and I may still end up with one as they are close to me.
dirty dawg USER_AVATAR
Dirty Dawg
Pilgrim

Postby Dirty Dawg » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:50 pm

slamkeys wrote:Now that does look like a Ferrari. Who built it?

I had this conversation with some friends, one who is a Porsche guy, and told him I wouldn't call it my Porsche, more like my Hemi. Then, a couple of neighbors came out while I seasoned it yesterday and one called it a Cadillac, which I again corrected, more like a Buick. A really nice Buick. I think I'm going to stick with that one. A Buick. Ha.

I say this because I've seen what AJ's Custom Cookers can do, and while this rig is nice it's a fair piece from top of the line. If things go well this this cooker, maybe one day I'll buy the cooker of my daydreams. Until then, this thing should more than handle anything I can throw at it.

If you're anywhere Fort Worth and considering a new cooker, you ought to consider letting AJ's build it to your specs. He does quality work at a fair price with a reasonable turnaround time. If you can dream it, AJ can build it. He also gets bonus points from guys like me that change the specs left and right (we increased the size of the smokebox, added the charcoal grill, went back and forth on color and rigged a "rustic" logo sign I had to mount on the trailer, making for a really unique feature.) He's website isn't up to date, check him out on facebook. Lots of nice builds.

After an 8 hour burn to season it, I'm impressed with how it cooks. Can not wait to fill it up but I figure it'll hold 16 briskets without too much trouble and I don't have that kind of money laying around anymore. Going to see if the neighbors want to join my first cook. No doubt there will be plenty who join me.
dirty dawg USER_AVATAR
Dirty Dawg
Pilgrim

Postby Dirty Dawg » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:16 pm

a075923 wrote:I think people spending upwards/over $3,000 want to get the best bang for the buck.

Believe me, $3K is a lot of money for a guy like me so I agree about getting the best bang for your buck. The Loaded Wchita is a fine cooker built with quality materials and construction. Having said that, if I had it to do over again, I'd buy the Kingman just for the extra size. However, if you really want the best bang for your buck, you might consider a local fabricator that could custom build to your specs. Just be sure you trust his skill set and business acumen.

You touched on the quirks of the Loaded Wichita and I have to say, figuring out those quirks is half the fun. I've been through three different Cookers now and each one had it's own personality. But the more I cook with them, the more I love them and the more they love me back. My goal is to know at a glance what's happening. I'm divesting myself of technology, just using lid thermometers I know are accurate and my trusty thermapen. Getting back to the basics has led to much less anxiety during the cook with no loss of quality. NOTE: I'm not really interested in competition cooking (although festivals look good,) just want to make people's bellies happy.

Lastly, some of the best BBQ in Texas comes off some of the gnarliest pits I've ever seen. Seriously, rough looking Cookers. Just goes to show it's not the tool, it's the mechanic.

Y'all take care. I'll post some meat pics from the new cooker eventually. Until then, here's a holiday turkey that came off the Yoder and was met by happy faces all around.

Adios!
Attachments
IMG_1293.JPG
slamkeys USER_AVATAR
slamkeys
Rustler

Postby slamkeys » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:47 pm

Dirty Dawg wrote:
slamkeys wrote:Now that does look like a Ferrari. Who built it?

I think I'm going to stick with that one. A Buick. Ha.

Nice - my wife drives a Buick LaCrosse and she loves it. Yeah, I guess calling the Yoder a Ferrari is overstating it a bit. I'd have to say the Yoder probably falls in the middle-of-the-road category, but compared to the cheap offsets around here ($399.00) it's definitely a step up.

I checked out AJ's Facebook page and he has plenty of pictures up there. Great looking workmanship.
Big Green Egg 2014
slamkeys USER_AVATAR
slamkeys
Rustler

Postby slamkeys » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:18 pm

Dirty Dawg wrote:I have the gas starter, no complaints, surprise. If you're having difficulty, I suggest you light a paper towel, place it near the log lighter, and slowly open the valve. Problem solved.

I normally use wadded up newspaper now, but the first time I tried it I used a bbq lighter and had a pretty close call. My main issue is with the inconsistent pressure of the regulator because it surges up and down and doesn't keep an even pressure.

I did some research and found that this regulator is a 30 psi unit, which seems like overkill for the intended purpose. As T-Roy noted, even when it is barely cracked open it delivers too much gas for the log lighter. It is probably better suited for a turkey fryer than this log lighter. I'm going to look for a 10 psi unit to see if it works better.

On my last cook the log lighter kept surging up and down, and I had to re-adjust the knob several times to keep it from either going out or flaring up.
Big Green Egg 2014
chooq USER_AVATAR
ChooQ
Pilgrim

Postby ChooQ » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:07 am

slamkeys, I really appreciate you taking the time experiment with your Wichita and share your results. I too am an owner of a Loaded Wichita and am for the most part very happy with my purchase. I've probably done 20-30 cooks on it and get better each time. That said, I am intrigued by your makeshift door and the results you've had with it.

The one thing I do question with your process was the statement about since the heat management plate came with the smoker you are going to use it. I took mine out after two cooks and haven't looked back. I did not like the way my smoker performed with it in place. In addition, Aaron Franklin has said he doesn't like them because they hurt airflow, and after two cooks I agreed with him. I did end up buying bread pan thats just long enough to fit the width of the cooking chamber. I've placed it on the lower cooking crate right above where the heat flows into the cooking chamber from the firebox. I get very even temps across the smoker, and I know I get better airflow without that heat management plate. If you are still using the heat management plate, I would highly consider removing it.

I'll admit I've tried to emulate what Aaron Franklin preaches in his book when I cook with goal no. 1 being clean smoke. I've done 10+ cooks on the witchita with the door wide open and while it's possible to cook this way you can get the same smoke quality with the door cracked. If I close the firebox door on my loaded Wichita during a cook with the vents wide open, the smoke quality will change which for me is unacceptable. My question to you is what has your smoke quality been like with the make shift door in place? There is a picture you posted early on in this thread where you cut an aluminum foil pan and used it as a smoke stack deflector and there is gross smoke coming out of your stack. I'm guessing you don't cook food with that color smoke.

Again thanks for sharing and keep on updating this thread.
dirty dawg USER_AVATAR
Dirty Dawg
Pilgrim

Postby Dirty Dawg » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:55 pm

ChooQ wrote:slamkeys, I really appreciate you taking the time experiment with your Wichita and share your results. I too am an owner of a Loaded Wichita and am for the most part very happy with my purchase. I've probably done 20-30 cooks on it and get better each time. That said, I am intrigued by your makeshift door and the results you've had with it.

The one thing I do question with your process was the statement about since the heat management plate came with the smoker you are going to use it. I took mine out after two cooks and haven't looked back. I did not like the way my smoker performed with it in place. In addition, Aaron Franklin has said he doesn't like them because they hurt airflow, and after two cooks I agreed with him. I did end up buying bread pan thats just long enough to fit the width of the cooking chamber. I've placed it on the lower cooking crate right above where the heat flows into the cooking chamber from the firebox. I get very even temps across the smoker, and I know I get better airflow without that heat management plate. If you are still using the heat management plate, I would highly consider removing it.

I'll admit I've tried to emulate what Aaron Franklin preaches in his book when I cook with goal no. 1 being clean smoke. I've done 10+ cooks on the witchita with the door wide open and while it's possible to cook this way you can get the same smoke quality with the door cracked. If I close the firebox door on my loaded Wichita during a cook with the vents wide open, the smoke quality will change which for me is unacceptable. My question to you is what has your smoke quality been like with the make shift door in place? There is a picture you posted early on in this thread where you cut an aluminum foil pan and used it as a smoke stack deflector and there is gross smoke coming out of your stack. I'm guessing you don't cook food with that color smoke.

Again thanks for sharing and keep on updating this thread.

I agree with cracking the door as well as adding a water pan however I'd never consider removing the HMP as I believe the fat searing off adds a level of flavor to the cook that's not achievable without it. And, while Franklin is a major voice in BBQ, he'll agree he's not the only one you should listen to. Franklin also doesn't approve of reverse flow smokers for the same reason and yet many others swear by them. I love mine, again because I like how the fat searing off adds to the flavor profile. However, I don't think reverse flow would be as effective in a 1000 gallon cooker.

The real key to success is getting to know your cooker, your style of cooking and your expectation. As a Bill Dumas of Stiles Switch says "Just watch your fire, watch your meat. That is the mantra."

I'm no Franklin, I'm just a guy producing very good meats with the expectation of becoming better and eventually opening up a pop up/ catering business. In fact, I have a party for 50 coming up this weekend. Fingers crossed.

Side note: I have a big screwdriver I keep with my Wichita that I use to adjust the heat/flow during a cook and that makes a world of difference.
slamkeys USER_AVATAR
slamkeys
Rustler

Postby slamkeys » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:22 pm

ChooQ wrote:... If you are still using the heat management plate, I would highly consider removing it.

My question to you is what has your smoke quality been like with the make shift door in place? There is a picture you posted early on in this thread where you cut an aluminum foil pan and used it as a smoke stack deflector and there is gross smoke coming out of your stack. I'm guessing you don't cook food with that color smoke.

I definitely had less trouble the couple of times I cooked without the heat management plate. I can't really argue a good reason for not taking it out, other than the fact that I'd basically have to bring it down to the scrap metal guy and donate it because I wouldn't want to keep it around if I'd never use it again. I guess I mainly wanted to challenge Yoder on the design because they're the ones claiming it works if you "learn your cooker." Personally I don't mind having a temperature variance in the cooking chamber because you can use that to your advantage, especially with uneven cuts of meat like a brisket. I do believe the heat management plate is the biggest reason for the flow issues in the Wichita. There are other brands like the Lone Star Grillz backyard models that have adjustable heat management plates that basically sit horizontally on rails and you can move them around as you please for whatever heat distribution you're after, but the point is they are horizontal and also above the opening from the firebox into the cooking chamber - they don't impede airflow at all.

I went back and looked at photos from the day I was experimenting with the foil pans, and that photo I posted was the only one that showed any serious smoke. It was at the very beginning of the cook and the pit was still warming up. If you look at this photo from an hour or so later it was extremely clean. You can see the gauges were sitting around 225 F. Once I get the fire to a state where it's burning coals I can't even see smoke anymore. I do have a batch of fresh red oak that is still wet, so that's a challenge for any pit. I'm trying to use my older splits for now until the red oak dries out a bit.

I photo-documented the beginning of the last 3 cooks I did to demonstrate how quickly I'm able to get the pit going (without using any charcoal) with the makeshift door in place. I literally had clean smoke within 15-20 minutes of turning on the gas log lighter. I'm working weekends right now because we're approaching a major deadline at work, so I haven't had a chance to cook or post my photos, but I'll post more photos the next time I get a day off.
Last edited by slamkeys on Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Green Egg 2014
firewood USER_AVATAR
FireWood
Pilgrim

Postby FireWood » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:22 am

I have a loaded wichita from 2016 production also. Was thinking about using some rebar, strips to raise the heat management plate to afford at least a few more inches of space to allow better flow. Might tinker with it this weekend.
Garrath
Pilgrim

Postby Garrath » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:47 am

Hi Samkeys how you going! Im actually new to this forum and live all the way over in Australia haha. I have recently purchased a Yoder Witchita loaded from the US and have been researching online about fire management, and stumbled onto your thread about modifying the intake on the firebox door. Your write up was very descriptive and helpfull and has made me consider modifying my firebox intake. I was just wondering if you have come up with a design for a replacement door or permanant fix for the existing one yet? If so I would definately be keen on using it on my own witchita, or if you plan on fabricating replacement doors at any point I would be interested in purchasing one from you :D Cheers bud
Weber Smokey Mountain (22 inch)
Pit Barrel Cooker
Yoder Wichita Loaded

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”