Gotta have some butter!

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Gotta have some butter!

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:03 am

Decided to replenish my butter supply so I got out the ol' mixer and got busy. About a pint of heavy cream and what seemed like forever, the cream started taking a familiar appearance.. I salute the tar out of those that made this the old fashioned way by churning..
20170117_094003.jpg

In all actuality, the transition between whipped cream and butter is pretty quick, about 15-20 seconds as the crow flies. Or maybe as the mixer spins on super turbo max setting?

After it took on the all too familiar look of scrambled eggs, I took my strainer out and piled it in to drain the buttermilk. If I have enough, I may use that for the biscuits I will be slathering this wonderful homemade butter on!

20170117_094947.jpg
(Insert witty signature here)
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Re: Gotta have some butter!

Postby TX1911 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:36 am

Brilliant!

Absolutely never crossed my mind to make my own butter....
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:49 am

TX1911 wrote:Brilliant!

Absolutely never crossed my mind to make my own butter....

It's definitely cheaper than buying. A quart of cream is a bit over 4 bucks and I got well over a pound of butter from a pint.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:01 pm

:tup: :salut: :cheers: :tup: :salut: :cheers: :tup: :salut: :cheers: :tup: :salut: :cheers:

imageedit_4_7600690454.jpg
imageedit_4_7600690454.jpg (14.01 KiB) Viewed 1892 times
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:17 pm

We tend to leave some butter on the counter all the time to stay at room temp so it's easily spreadable. Can you do that with the homemade stuff? I assume pasteurized heavy cream is necessary?
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:28 pm

I enjoyed seeing this! When I was a kid in grade school the teacher had us make butter in a canning jar. We took turns shaking it, and it took forEVER. As a teen I helped make butter for a party, but this time we used a hand mixer!
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:27 pm

Txdragon wrote: I salute the tar out of those that made this the old fashioned way by churning.

I remember seeing my Great Aunt straddling one of those butter churns and I couldn't wait to help her - - - I was around 5 and didn't last long enuff to disturb it very much. :laughing7:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:45 pm

TX1911 wrote:We tend to leave some butter on the counter all the time to stay at room temp so it's easily spreadable. Can you do that with the homemade stuff? I assume pasteurized heavy cream is necessary?

I leave butter out when I need to, sure. Keeping it in a closed container is recommended and I don't want to say I leave it out much longer than a day really. Honestly, the homemade version is a lot softer than store bought. I've never had a real problem spreading it straight from the fridge. If I have it out all day, I will usually I'll put it away before going to bed. By that time it's been out well over 16 hours.. Lol
Heavy whipping cream, yes. I haven't seen anything different or better for butter really.
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:25 pm

Being a dairy producing country we use lotsa butter here, here's a pic of my fridge door, we also have spreadable butter on another shelf. I also have a container that is in the pantry at room temperature. New potatoes with butter are heaven. Plus I use in sauces etc. the blocks you see are 1lb blocks. About $4 each. We don't normally keep this much butter in our house fridge, it's just I haven't taken 4 or 5 blocks to the fridge in the garage.
image.jpg

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:39 pm

Russ, that's a butter collection that would bring tears to the eyes of Paula Deen herself :cheers:

The batch I made today came out to 14oz, A tad shy of a lb.. I used a pint of cream. Real butter, unsalted, sells here for 4.78 per lb. I spent 4.14 on the quart of cream, used half, 2.07 for 14oz of unsalted butter!! That math works for me.
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:48 pm

Txd your work is unbelievable, I like to make stuff from scratch but you take it one more step. I'm thinking I might try to make some with my grand kids??? They are very inquisitive and were here yesterday planting seeds with the wife and learning about propagating. Making butter really takes it to the start.

Thanks for the info.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:53 pm

Many, many moons ago maybe 50 years or more I can remember mom churning butter from the cream of our 1/2 dozen or so Holsteins.
She churned it on a hand crank machine called a Dazey Churn. It was passed down for God knows how many generations :dont:

She retired the churn probably better then 40 years ago and let my dad turn it into a kitchen ornament.
Well dad painted it up in orange and black and it sat on my moms kitchen counter for years.

Seeing this thread reminded me that I've had that churn sitting in the basement for going on 25 years.
I found it tonight and wiped the dust off and it still churns like a SOB. :lol:

Thinking I maybe have to figure out how to get the paint off the blades and try making some butter the old fashioned way :lol:

:cheers:
Bill
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:41 pm

Hey bill, I'm thinking plain old paint stripper to strip the paddles, rest could stay. Looking forward to see you produce some butter.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:00 am

Russ wrote:Txd your work is unbelievable, I like to make stuff from scratch but you take it one more step. I'm thinking I might try to make some with my grand kids??? They are very inquisitive and were here yesterday planting seeds with the wife and learning about propagating. Making butter really takes it to the start.

Thanks for the info.

Russ

Aww shucks, thanks! I think it's a great thing to pass these little skills along so they aren't lost. From basic stuff like this to curing and meat preservation. My daughter is enthralled and willing to help where she can, my son is something different. He's more interested in video games (sigh) than anything else. Maybe I will combine the 2 and develop a video game that teaches these skills in order to survive?
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:05 am

bondobill wrote:Many, many moons ago maybe 50 years or more I can remember mom churning butter from the cream of our 1/2 dozen or so Holsteins.
She churned it on a hand crank machine called a Dazey Churn. It was passed down for God knows how many generations :dont:

She retired the churn probably better then 40 years ago and let my dad turn it into a kitchen ornament.
Well dad painted it up in orange and black and it sat on my moms kitchen counter for years.

Seeing this thread reminded me that I've had that churn sitting in the basement for going on 25 years.
I found it tonight and wiped the dust off and it still churns like a SOB. :lol:

Thinking I maybe have to figure out how to get the paint off the blades and try making some butter the old fashioned way :lol:

:cheers:
Bill

Paint stripper may help, as Russ mentioned. There is a can of some really good stuff located at wally world and most chain auto parts places. It's aircraft stripper. I have yet to meet the finish that stuff won't obliterate!
The churn itself is amazing. I try to look in on antique shops when I can to find old cooking relics such as that.

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”