Twice fried chips

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Twice fried chips

Postby Russ » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:08 am

I got asked how I do mine, I been thinking about them all day. Went to pub with friends for a few drinks, home and started chips, 2 beef sausages 1/2 tomato fried with free range eggs , 1 was a double yolker. Was as good as I thought it would be. BBQ sauce and worst ever sauce ( thanks oup) milled pepper.
image.jpg

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Twice fried chips

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:28 am

thanks for the recipe, Pard - - - I'll be doing these real soon maybe as a side with beer can yard bird :dont: :dont: :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:02 pm

Looks like the perfect after pub meal!
(Insert witty signature here)
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:06 pm

Txdragon wrote:Looks like the perfect after pub meal!
free range organic cackle berries and a good banger, can't beat it, after the pub.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:07 pm

Just a note , we also call eggs bum nuts, lol, grand kids now calling them that as well.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:55 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:thanks for the recipe, Pard - - - I'll be doing these real soon maybe as a side with beer can yard bird :dont: :dont: :dont:

If I'm lyi'n I'm dye'n - - - and even tho Y'all use weird names for things, let me till ya, Pard my "First Time Twice" Fried Taters were awesome and the Wiffy said to tell you "THANKS" Fixed them with fried Shrimps and gween beans and I'll be doing those again.
IMG_0001.JPG

HOWEVER, chips come in a Yeller bag with Lays on the front - wouldn't surprise me if Y'all had a different definition and usage for LAYS :laughing7:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:45 pm

Ok that does it.....I gotta ask. :lol: What's the secret to twice fried spuds :dont:
I've tried to duplicate the awesome fries I had while down under with no success :(
Y'all mind sharing your method ;)
I got a endless supply of free taters and all different varieties. A buddy of mine up here farms hundreds of acres of taters and I can't eat what he gives me fast enough.

C'mon Russ , OUP cough it up :whiteflag:

:cheers:
Bill
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:35 pm

I use a good roasting / frying spud. Peel and cut into chip size pieces. Put cut chips into cold water for about 5 or 10 mins. This gets the starch to come out of the chip. Dry chips in a towel and fry first time about 170deg. When look like half ready take out and rest cool somewhere. At least half hour and up to 3 or 4 hours if making ahead. Then when ready fry again. Great with garlic aioli.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:51 pm

Wild Bill, Russ was the one guiding me through my first time and what he just said is pretty much what I just did. The only thing I would suggest is possibly frying them a little browner than mine and eat pretty soon after frying. My first batch was just crisp enuff but after they sat while I fried the shrimp they got a little limp but still tasted great. Any iddie on keeping them crisper, Russ Pard :?: Oh,, and the tater I used was a HUGE RUSSET almost the size of a kids beginner football that my almost step-D.I.L. gave us.
IMG_0002.JPG
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:42 pm

Hot darn !!!
Thanks guys
Usually I use big Russets for my fries
I've been doing them on first fry at 325 degrees then pull them after 6 -8 minutes, when oil temp gets up to 375 degrees put them back in
Russ, you talking degrees or celcius ;)

Bill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:49 pm

@&^#@^%#^@%# Celcius :?: :?: :?: :?: no wonder it took so long to fry those things :laughing7: :D :lol:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:27 pm

Sorry, yip Celsius. I do my final cook just as I'm serving. Cook til brown n crispy.
It's the only way I do mine now.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:54 pm

Egg on MY FACE :oops: :banghead: :whiteflag: :laughing7: :D :lol:

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”