Just Getting Started

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

momma bear USER_AVATAR
Momma Bear
Pilgrim

Just Getting Started

Postby Momma Bear » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:10 pm

Hello, My name is Dawn, but everyone calls me Momma Bear.

I have been smoking meats for years for friends and family. Yes, I am one of those girls that doesn't mind standing in front of a fire box all day and smelling like smoked meat. I love to smoke brisket the most. I've heard all the time, "You really need to go into business doing this" Well I took the first step, I have purchased a small but nice trailer smoker. I have also gotten my DBA. Now comes the hard stuff like permit, Licenses, etc. Can anyone direct me on the next steps I need to take in the Weatherford, TX area on acquiring these things? Any and all helpful hints would be truly appreciated.

Thank you,
Momma Bear
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Re: Just Getting Started

Postby TX1911 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:19 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Here's some info I've located:

What are the requirements if I want to buy or open a food establishment?
a. Please contact the Consumer Health Dept. for a copy of the City of Weatherford's Minimum Standards for Food Establishments.
b. A set of plans will need to be submitted to the Consumer Health Dept. for review for new new construction or extensive remodel.
c. Complete a Food Permit Application/Food Establishment Plan Review Packet and return it to the Consumer Health Dept.
d. Owner or contractor will need to make an appointment with the regulatory authority for the Final Health Inspections.
e. Once the final inspection is made and passed, the owner or contractor may apply for a Health Permit (fee will depend on classification of the food establishment).
f. Final inspection approval and payment of the Health Payment must be made prior to issuance of the CO (Certificate of Occupancy required prior to occupying the new, existing, or remodeled food establishment).

1.What do I need to do to operate a mobile food unit?
a. Complete a Mobile Food Permit Application and return it to Consumer Health Dept.
b. Application will be reviewed and a pre-opening inspection will be scheduled.
c. After the pre-opening inspection is conducted and the moible unit approved by the regulatory authority, a permit will be issued.
d. Cost is $120 per year.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:19 pm

Welcome !!! Wish I could help but I just do it for fun but there's probably someone here that can help. Good luck with you business. :salut:
momma bear USER_AVATAR
Momma Bear
Pilgrim

Postby Momma Bear » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:41 pm

Thank you TX1911 and Willie. I will keep y'all posted on the progress. I am so excited on getting Momma Bear's BBQ rolling and going!! :D
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:32 pm

Welcome and Howdy :texas: one thing's for certain, the name "Rocks" - - - - please keep us in the loop as you get things going and Good Luck :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
momma bear USER_AVATAR
Momma Bear
Pilgrim

Postby Momma Bear » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:07 pm

Well thank you for the complement on the name. My kids have called me Momma Bear as long as I can remember. It caught on with friends real quick.

Looks like some modifications will need to be done to the smoker.... 3 sink wash station and no drip floor (fire resistant). Does anyone know someone near the Weatherford area that can do these modification?
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:30 pm

howdy Image
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates

Return to “WANTED POSTERS - New Member Introductions”