Carrots, potatoes, and onions

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

maydog USER_AVATAR
Maydog
Pilgrim

Carrots, potatoes, and onions

Postby Maydog » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:33 am

This is a comment and a question. Here in Jericho, they have what is called zarb. Basically, they bury a barrel in the ground, add a bed of hot coals to the bottom of the barrel, then lower a rack filled with meat (usually lamb or chicken or both) and vegetables (carrots, onions, and potatoes). Then they cover the barrel with a metal lid, pile a few inches of dirt on top, and then let it cook for 4-6 hours without looking. I guess it would be a lot like burying a UDS, except there is no ventilation. I've had it twice and it was very very good.

The meat is smoky and tender, and the vegetables are amazing. I couldn't get enough of the carrots and I'm not a huge carrot fan. So here is my question: If I were to cook the carrots, potatoes, and onions in the lower rack of my WSM while smoking a brisket or a butt, how long do you think the vegetables need to cook? I'm thinking 1-2 hours but I'm not sure. Any ideas or experience?
18.5" Weber Smoky Mountain
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Carrots, potatoes, and onions

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:04 am

I, personally, have never done anything like this but I had a friend in the Hill Country that used to do what he called "Pig in the Ground" that was some of the best Oink I've ever tasted. Hopefully, some of the other members will enlighten us on this technique. :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:01 pm

Here the local Maori cook their food in a pit, it's called a hangi, us lazy white guys do ours in a drum, it's called a honky hangi. It's a 44 gallon drum, a hole about 2mm drilled about 5 inches up from the bottom. About 7 inches up from bottom inside the drum is welded pigs to hold a metal cross that holds a round perforated pice of steel. Meat goes on that, normally a leg of lamb shoulder of pork and rolled piece of beef, on top of that a basket of 3 whole chickens and on top of that a pillow case with veges, potatoes, kumara, carrots pumpkin. Under the drum is a 2 burner. Fill drum up to drill hole with water then heat it up, when the water starts boiling and spitting out of the hole, your meal is ready in 3 hours. And it's the best ever way of cooking for 20 or 30 people. I do it once a yea for family and friends. Btw the drum is sealed with a band to make it air tight when the drums lit up. Basically it's a steam boiler, but the meat and veges are so good.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
mrxlh
Rustler

Postby mrxlh » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:49 pm

I foil mine on my Old Smokey and it takes them 1-1/2 to 2 hours over direct heat, (potatoes sliced, onions sliced and baby carrots whole) not sure how long they would take without foil on a lower in a 18.5 WSM.

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”