Citrus harvest time

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tri3forme USER_AVATAR
tri3forme
Rustler

Citrus harvest time

Postby tri3forme » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:15 pm

Just harvested about 25 Meyer lemons today....cut off this nice cluster of 4 that I thought was picture worthy. I've already plucked about 15 or so over the last 2 weeks and I have about 30 more that still have a little green to them. All from the same tree!
IMG_2172.JPG
IMG_2173.JPG
Anyone else in TBBQF land who's harvesting citrus right now? Let's see what you got!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't eat to live....I live to eat
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Re: Citrus harvest time

Postby Russ » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:50 pm

Oup put a post up recently. I will comment on it for you to read. It's a good thread.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:26 pm

Yup, I just finished harvesting the last of our myer lemons and have distributed them among the Family and Friends except for a batch of jelly and rind candy. Those are nice looking also. :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tri3forme USER_AVATAR
tri3forme
Rustler

Postby tri3forme » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:37 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Yup, I just finished harvesting the last of our myer lemons and have distributed them among the Family and Friends except for a batch of jelly and rind candy. Those are nice looking also. :tup:

Just read your post (Thanks, Russ). I thought I had some large lemons, yours are gargantuan! How old is your tree? Mine's only 4 yrs old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't eat to live....I live to eat
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:40 am

I'm jealous of those magnificent lemons! :lol:

Growing season ended here in October. We still have one straggling pot of lettuce.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:51 am

tri3forme wrote: I thought I had some large lemons, yours are gargantuan! How old is your tree? Mine's only 4 yrs old.

they are bigguns for sure - - - don't know exactly how old it is but we've been here 5 years and it was bearing fruit then and about half it's present size SEE PIC - - - last year an early frost zapped the fruit buds before they got started and that must have been the catalyst because they are considerably larger this year than they have ever been in 5 years here - - - it needs pruning this time but I'm gonna get a Pro to do it since I have no idea how to do these valuable fruit bearing trees :dont: my kids would kill me if I killed it :whiteflag: just finished making some salsa with some lemons, pineapple, own-yawns, jalapenos and maters and I think it's gonna be awesome on fish and shrimp tacos this week. :tup:
IMG_0018.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:53 pm

That's a big tree oup, my one in the front has been there for 20 years we been here and we never got 1 lemon off it until we had the quakes here in 2010/2011 . Since then it's gone gangbusters.its about 1/3 the size of your one. The Meyer out the back is only 4 years old and started producing 2 years ago. I was told lemon trees like to be peed on. We all do it here in the summer,lol. Our 3rd year lime tree will be giving us our first limes next year. It's full of buds ATM.

Ps, when I say we all pee on the Lemon trees, I mean the men folk,lol.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:23 pm

in :texas: that's called a "pit stop" and in my subdivision it's also called illegal :whiteflag: :laughing7:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:47 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:in :texas: that's called a "pit stop" and in my subdivision it's also called illegal :whiteflag: :laughing7:

Lol, point taken, our terminology can get a bit mixed up. I like " pit stop". :whiteflag:

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”