Chicken and Sausage Gumbo, Large Batch

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

mrxlh
Rustler

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo, Large Batch

Postby mrxlh » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:52 am

Making any gumbo in a regular meal size portion is pretty straight forward, but the wife and I love it as a quick and easy meal, so I had to come up with an improvised way to make very large batches to freeze. There is a ton of argument over what is and is not gumbo (okra, no okra, tomatoes, no tomatoes, butter or oil roux, ect, ect) or creole gumbo versus cajun gumbo. I'll leave that for you to decide as it is almost like arguing about which way is the correct way to do ribs. Anyway I will get down to the recipe portion.

6 Chicken Breasts
3# Andouille Sausage
6 cans of Creole Okra Gumbo
6 cans of diced tomatoes
6 cans of rotel
6 large bags of frozen okra
2 packages of season blend
2 packages of chopped onions
1 Lb Butter or 2 cups of oil
2 cups of flour

I boil and season the chicken breasts with just enough water to cover in a 20qt or larger stock pot. While the breasts are cooking I slice up all the sausage and set aside. ILet the breasts boil for 20 minutes, pull them out and leave the water in the stock pot, but turn the heat down to medium. You can add all the canned/frozen goods to the stock pot at this time as well as the sausage. Remember to stir the pot as not to let it scorch to the bottom. Now onto the roux, melt your butter in a large sauce pan (or if you prefer oil) on a medium high heat, stir in your flour and keep stirring until it turns dark brown. (Roux takes a while, take your time and have a beer or 2 while you do it, patience is a virtue when making roux) If you scorch it, throw it out and start over, when your roux is done, add it to the stock pot and stir it in. By this time your chicken should be cool enough to shred, shred it and add it to the pot. I season with Louisiana Hot Sauce, Slap Your Momma, Cayenne, Garlic Salt, to a back bite. If it is pepper hot, it's wrong, it should put sweat on your forehead without burning your tongue or mouth. I bring it to a low simmer boil to reduce the onions and continue to cook it until the okra is done. When it is finished I let it stand overnight covered until cool enough the next day to handle. I then vacuum seal it in bags at 5 cups per bag which is enough for a 2 person meal with usually a bowl left over for lunch the next day. I use a turkey frying pot to make my large batch gumbo in.

castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Re: Chicken and Sausage Gumbo, Large Batch

Postby castironchris » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:37 am

I like it!! Although I would probably eat a bag by myself!!
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
maydog USER_AVATAR
Maydog
Pilgrim

Re: Chicken and Sausage Gumbo, Large Batch

Postby Maydog » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:56 am

When I make gumbo, it's almost always chicken and sausage gumbo. I've probably made it 50 times and never the same way twice, but I love it each and every time. Just a few comments about some of my habits:

Like you, I use the breast for the chicken meat. When I have the time, I like to cook a whole chicken in the crock pot with chopped onion. That way I get the onion flavor and my wife doesn't complain about the onions, since they basically cook down into nothingness. Then I strain the broth to use as my gumbo base and I bone the chicken which just picks off with my fingers. I keep the breast meat for the gumbo and use the dark for whatever. My only complaint about the crock pot method is that the chicken is TOO tender. I like a little more texture, but the crock pot makes life very easy.

I use different types of sausage, depending on what I feel like using (or what's available), but one of my favorites is to use a chub of hot breakfast sausage. I cook it in the skillet, then drain off the fat before adding to my gumbo.

I've found that frozen chopped okra works as well as anything. I try to remember to set it out of the freezer to thaw so that it doesn't cool off my pot of gumbo too much when I add it. Roux, or no roux...sometimes I do and sometimes I no do. Plain white rice on the side...always.

One thing that I always do: At the table, I add about a half tsp of lemon juice to my bowl of gumbo. It really makes me smile!

Looks like you are doing a fine job.
18.5" Weber Smoky Mountain
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”