Dallas Kosher Championships - Walkin and Talkin

Announcements, Roll Call and Results for ALL Competitions and Events.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Dallas Kosher Championships - Walkin and Talkin

Postby Boots » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:56 am

Well, at least the celebrity judges liked us... won the brisket division there. Helped Yoda deal with the pain, broke his wrist last week, got 12 screws and a plate put in - OUCH!

Also big thanks to our buddies Rosie and Grim Dahveed for also showing up and pulling the wagon 110%. WHOOP!

And last but certainly not least, thanks to our buddy Funky Frio Medina who showed up, stayed up, and manned up for us through the whole cook. Salute!
Attachments
IMG_1887.jpg
IMG_1199.JPG
IMG_1196.JPG
IMG_1193.JPG
IMG_1191.JPG
IMG_1190.JPG
IMG_1189.JPG
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Dallas Kosher Championships - Walkin and Talkin

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:12 am

WOW, Congrats and Kudos to YOU'ALL - - - - if I was to caption those pics it would be :texas: :salut:

"Why we do What we DO" :tup: :cheers: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
dahveed USER_AVATAR
dahveed
Pilgrim

Postby dahveed » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:46 am

Congrats to you guys! Its hard to come to an event and use a smoker and ingredients you've never used to cook your best Que! Glad I was able to help for the 8 hours I could and I learned a lot about eating kosher that I didn't know. Like who knew there was actually kosher and non-kosher beer? Or a kosher knife and cutting board.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:57 am

Well done guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:01 pm

Congrats yall on the Brisket .. Well done... Get healed up Yoda (thats a enough metal to be a TSA hazzard) - So did they provide the WSM's yall cooked on or was it a choice due to the size of the spaces?
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:17 pm

dahveed wrote:Congrats to you guys! Its hard to come to an event and use a smoker and ingredients you've never used to cook your best Que! Glad I was able to help for the 8 hours I could and I learned a lot about eating kosher that I didn't know. Like who knew there was actually kosher and non-kosher beer? Or a kosher knife and cutting board.

I never knew that as well. Live and learn I guess. Thanks.

Russ

Ps well done on the cook,looks larapin. :D
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:24 pm

Congrats Boots and crew, almost pulled the trigger on this one, I would have been as lost as Hillarys emails. I need to read up on the kosher cooking etiquette.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:21 pm

Thanks guys. Yep Don, they supplied all the equipment and all the meat. We supplied the blood sweat and tears.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:44 pm

Excellent - looks like a good time.

While living in Houma, LA, A priest friend of ours was a chaplain in the reserves and was head chaplain for the troops in New Orleans after Katrina. He would bring home chaplains from other religions that were away from home on the weekend. One weekend he called and asked if we could cook a kosher meal because he was bringing home a rabbi. After a bunch of research, we bought aluminum pans, etc and prepared a kosher meal. He almost started crying when he found out what we had done. Called his mom in NY to tell her about it :).
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:41 am

They take it very seriously. Anything we brought in but they did not supply, one of the rabbis who was like the senior guy had to inspect it and approve it. And, any snacks or meal we brought in to eat ourselves, even stuff that was not going on the fire, also had to be kosher. That got really interesting when I went in to Tom Thumb on Saturday where they have a kosher market to pick up dinner supplies , only to be reminded that it's closed on Saturday! Thereafter there was a mad scramble to find stuff to eat for dinner that was available either off-the-shelf or out of the cold case. We ended up having hummus and baba ghanouj with pizza bread, and steaks cut from a big roast slid into some sesame seed Kaiser rolls. Turned out to be a good thing, as these "steakburgers " were just banging good, I'd do that again anytime. All the equipment has to be fresh and pristine and go through an inspection and blessing by the rabbi prior to use, including knives and cutting boards. That's why they supply virtually everything you need; since I am particular about my knives I even brought a brand-new one Still in the plastic, but could not use it because it had not been through and earlier inspection and blessing. It worked out OK because their equipment turned out to be pretty decent, and all the cookers were brand-new.

Got to throw them a lot of respect, they are very conscious of adhering to their traditions while still working hard to grow the number of these events. They went from a coldstart two years ago with like two events to around 12 nationally, and will grow by a few more next year.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:23 am

Very commendable, not only to them but for Y'all working with them :salut: - - - - we could sure use a lot more of that in this Country right now :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:07 pm

Now there's one for the story-telling; Webbers as far as the eye can see :laughing7: I hadn't realized that Kosher was THAT strict. Interesting.. Congrats on the trophy! Props to Yoda hanging in there with the busted wing!
(Insert witty signature here)
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:58 pm

Txdragon wrote:Now there's one for the story-telling; Webbers as far as the eye can see :laughing7: I hadn't realized that Kosher was THAT strict. Interesting.. Congrats on the trophy! Props to Yoda hanging in there with the busted wing!

Trust me (scouts sign) if you are with Boots and Yoda at a cook off you will come out with stories that may sound like tall tales - but it all happened for real.
Signed
CowboyDon
2015 Valley View Center Cook Off Flood Survivor :) I aint never seen a storm like that before
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:22 am

Don is 100% right, water was coming over the tops of my 14" tall boy boots. I think Don surfed on a work table about 20 yards to the trailer like the Banzai Pipeline.

Knew we were in trouble about 20 minutes before the storm hit when some bearded dude in a robe showed up asking around if he could buy 30 cubits of gopherwood.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:05 am

I believed every word until the gopherwood reference. Everyone knows beaverwood is preferred for arks.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE

Return to “Cookoff Announcements and Results”