1000 gallon tank smoker!

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Re: 1000 gallon tank smoker!

Postby Finatic » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:31 am

[quote="Bobbergone63"]Can someone tell m the proper way to season a new build? Do I do that before paint job? How hot and how long?

I've always primed and painted my pit builds myself. I start by spraying a healthy coat of cooking oil inside every square inch of the smoker (including the racks). Then I'll clean the areas to be painted very well then apply a primer coat. After that has set for an hour or so I'll build the first fire in the smoker and bring it up to roughly 400 degrees and let it run for a couple of hours to bake on the primer. I wait 24 hours then apply the first coat of paint and bake it on using the same process. If necessary I will apply a second coat of oil inside the smoker before I begin the 2nd heating process. Then apply a second coat of paint and bake it on. After that she'll be ready for a cook.

If you are getting it sandblasted and primed you may want to do that and paint it before you season it.
Bobbergone63
Wrangler

Postby Bobbergone63 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:52 am

I am assuming I need to get high temp rated primer and paint for all stages of the painting or will the baking process work to temper the paint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:32 am

I've never had good luck with priming/painting my firebox. I've heard if you sandblast the metal and use a good primer (k.a.m. says inorganic primer works well) combined with a high-temp paint it'll work fine. I've always oiled my firebox (with canola oil) and use regular industrial grade Rustoleum (which is not high temp) on the cooking chamber part of my smoker and have never had any peeling issues due to high temps. I used industrial grade Rustoleum on my recent chicken cooker build and have cooked on it at least 3 dozen times, sometimes grilling steaks on it at 500 degrees and haven't had any issues at all with paint peeling or flaking.

I believe the prep is very important. Getting as many contaminants removed from the metal as possible is key before you apply the primer. In my experience just grinding the metal with a wire brush isn't enough. If you're not going to sandblast I recommend grinding the metal with a crimped wire brush wheel (avoid the twisted wire wheels) then wiping down the metal to be painted several times with acetone using a clean rag each time at minimum. Of course use gloves with the acetone.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:34 pm

Test fire the cooker to see that she does what you want. If she works then paint before seasoning to keep the oil off the outside.
If blasting I use inorganic zinc primer then top coat with Rustoleum BBQ black.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Bobbergone63
Wrangler

Postby Bobbergone63 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:55 pm

Thank you very much. This should help. I have already sandblasted the tank portion of the smoker and built a hot fire in it to try to rid the onion oil out of the metal.The rest of the trailer is all new metal with no rust. I planned on a full wipe down with mineral spirits to get the oils off. I will fire it off and bring it to temp to try to get any other oils out of the metals.
Thanks again. I am getting anxious for this to come to a close. I have been working on tis smoker for too long.

Bobbergone63
Wrangler

Postby Bobbergone63 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:57 pm

Discovered that I need to use un checked propane hoses for the feed off the tanks into the primary regulator. The demand of 300k btu's is more than the hoses will flow.

rodcrafter USER_AVATAR
Rodcrafter
Wrangler

Postby Rodcrafter » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:45 am

I haven't seen your progress in a while. Sorry for the loss of your Dad, but so glad he helped with the build. You will think of him every time you use it. I guess the gas system is using too much fuel not really the hose is at fault. Companies that build cookers with gas burners typically use a jet type package setup. It has the ignition built in and a fan and is good on fuel. Look at Cadillac Cooker, Deep South, Ole Hickory they all use the same. I know you already have these burner. But they will make great burners for frying or cooking side dishes like corn or even heating a flat top if you are doing that.

jm2cw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbergone63
Wrangler

Postby Bobbergone63 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:16 pm

ImageImageImageImage

Made some good progress today. Doors are almost complete.
Bobbergone63
Wrangler

Postby Bobbergone63 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:18 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:I haven't seen your progress in a while. Sorry for the loss of your Dad, but so glad he helped with the build. You will think of him every time you use it. I guess the gas system is using too much fuel not really the hose is at fault. Companies that build cookers with gas burners typically use a jet type package setup. It has the ignition built in and a fan and is good on fuel. Look at Cadillac Cooker, Deep South, Ole Hickory they all use the same. I know you already have these burner. But they will make great burners for frying or cooking side dishes like corn or even heating a flat top if you are doing that.

jm2cw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks rodcrafter. I don't know yet but I may have to much heat too fast with what I have. I should be able to tone it down with the regulator.

Bobbergone63
Wrangler

Postby Bobbergone63 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:04 pm

Getting real closeImage

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:33 am

When I saw those last pics, I instantly got a mental image of your Dad slappin' St. Peter on the back and saying "Lookie there, SP, that's my Boy doin' that great work !" and St. Peter replying "chip off the old block, huh?" :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:23 am

I gave your build "the test". Showed the pix of it to the wife and she responded "Why does he need something so BIG?". WINNER WINNER. If the women dont understand the pure magnitude of it, you have done something right. :cheers: :salut:

Good work my friend.

rb
KCBS CBJ - Smoke On The Bayou BBQ Team, Houston TX - CAPTAIN
Bobbergone63
Wrangler

Postby Bobbergone63 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:26 pm

Bigger is always better right? Actually the truth. Here at the youth camp they have dinner by the pool one night. 500 kids. We needed big for that many. Although I learned how to weld on the farm making smokers out of what ever worked. I spent much time down at the river. Now I make smokers real big out of what ever works and spend time at the poolImage

Bobbergone63
Wrangler

Postby Bobbergone63 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:03 am

Oh no!
Set back on bbq. The insulation used for the fire box is so toxic you can't breathe. I fired the bbq yesterday for a 6 hrs burn and couldn't get through the first hour. Insulated doors warped real bad. Inside expands much faster than the outside. Does anyone know where I can get sheet cast iron? Get out the torch, time to remove all the bad stuff.
On a good note, I am about 95% complete. Propane system is working great.

Bobbergone63
Wrangler

Postby Bobbergone63 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:05 pm

ImageImageImage

Gotta get that nasty stuff out. Smells really bad now.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”