Buckboard Bacon "How To"

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bobcat USER_AVATAR
Bobcat
Wrangler

Buckboard Bacon "How To"

Postby Bobcat » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:08 pm

Can anyone share their know how on curing & making BBB ? I have a pork butt I want to de-bone & try my hand at making & smoking my own bacon. Any help would be appreciated , I have never done any curing of meats & don't want to ruin a pork butt ! :dont: :texas:
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Re: Buckboard Bacon "How To"

Postby Okie Sawbones » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:23 pm

I tried buckboard bacon once. I didn't care for it. I stick with traditional pork belly bacon. Check out this link. I did the Hi Mountain cure.
http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/10/buckboard-bacon.html
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
bobcat USER_AVATAR
Bobcat
Wrangler

Postby Bobcat » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:49 pm

Thanks Okie I will check it out ! :cheers: :texas:
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:33 am

I have used the Hi Mountain cure a few times following Third Eye's process. I used it on a butt as well as a loin - preferred the loin over the butt.

BTW - Third Eye's nickname comes from the fact that he is a welding inspector. Comes from Silsbe, TX but been in Casper, WY for a long time. His Playing with Fire and Smoke site is excellent.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
bobcat USER_AVATAR
Bobcat
Wrangler

Postby Bobcat » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:02 pm

Thanks egghead I will check it out !!!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:53 pm

Okie posted the same site I used on my first batch of BBB. I stick with those methods pretty square to this day. Good stuff!
(Insert witty signature here)
bobcat USER_AVATAR
Bobcat
Wrangler

Postby Bobcat » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:00 pm

Thanks TXdragon , since you have done this ,is there any thing I might need to change on that BBB curing or smoking ?? I went to wally world tonight but they didn't have Morton tender quick so tomorrow I will check ay HEB. I've seen some recipe's that call for brown sugar & some use white sugar or does it matter ? :scratch: :texas:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:35 pm

Bobcat wrote:Thanks TXdragon , since you have done this ,is there any thing I might need to change on that BBB curing or smoking ?? I went to wally world tonight but they didn't have Morton tender quick so tomorrow I will check ay HEB. I've seen some recipe's that call for brown sugar & some use white sugar or does it matter ? :scratch: :texas:

I prefer to use brown sugar when it calls for it. Definite difference if you sub white sugar; stick with brown if it asks! I have seen morton tender quick at HEB, so you should be lucky there. If not, you can pick up cure#1 from bass pro shop, if you have one close to you. Academy used to sell it as well, not sure about now. Keep the method as it is until you get used to it, then you can make adjustments to your liking.
(Insert witty signature here)

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”