Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tri3forme USER_AVATAR
tri3forme
Rustler

Shrimp Shells PSA

Postby tri3forme » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:36 pm

Announcement: Save your shrimp shells!!
I'm sure many of you who love to cook save your shells after you've peeled and deveined the shrimp, but so many people I know have no clue what to do with shrimp shells other than throwing them in the trash. Every time I clean shrimp, I put the leftover shells in a qt sized freezer bag and throw them in the freezer. After a while (or depending on how often you eat shrimp at home), you accumulate a nice amount of shells worthy of making a batch of shrimp stock. When it's convenient for you, pull out those shells and make yourself a pot of shrimp stock. Then freeze them in qt sized bags, so you can pull out what you need, when you need it. A couple of months ago, I made a batch of shrimp bisque with my shrimp stock that could have rivaled the best of 'em. Last weekend, I made a batch of shrimp and crab gumbo using the same stock I froze a few months ago and it ended up being the clear winner in a friendly neighborhood gumbo cook-off (in all fairness, my competitor's gumbo was chicken and sausage with some leftover smoked pulled pork and you really can't compare the 2 gumbo's because they are so vastly different). I enjoyed his but I (and the 12 others who ate) thought mine was the better quality, more clean tasting gumbo because my ingredients were simpler and the main reason, I think, was because I used homemade stock. Homemade stock is the foundation for excellent soup. You can pump out a decent product using some concentrated stock stuff at the store but you'll never get near/at or better than the 5 star restaurant quality dish you're striving for unless you've gone through the not so difficult process of making your own stock So, save your shells, find a recipe for shrimp stock on Google (most recipe's are pretty much the same) when you've accumulated enough shells and be prepared to impress your friends with your next batch of bisque, gumbo, etoufee or shrimp creole!

My Shrimp and Crab Gumbo recipe (sorry for the lack of quantities)
Make dark roux* (50% flour, 50% oil). Color should be similar to that of a chocolate bar.
Sautee diced 50% onions, 25% celery, 25% bell peppers, (**)
Add to roux
Slowly add your homemade but hot shrimp stock and whisk to help dissolve roux and find desired thickness
Add crushed tomatoes, bay leaves, paprika, thyme, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper and black pepper.
Simmer for 1.5 hrs and skim off foam from top
Salt to taste
Turn off heat and immediately add shrimp. Let sit for 10-15 min.
Pour Gumbo over rice and top with crab meat and chopped green onions

*I probably used 1/3 cup of oil and whisked in the flour til I got a 'wet sand' looking consistency. That usually ends up being the proper 50/50 ratio for a roux.
** For you Gumbo purists, I know....there's no okra in my recipe. That's because I'm not a fan of okra but please feel free to add as needed.
I don't eat to live....I live to eat
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Shrimp Shells PSA

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:51 pm

I used to make "stock" all the time and shrimp-crab-crawfish was a favorite to do and save. :tup: thanks for the Recipe also :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:45 pm

Hi tri man, also thanks for the tip, I normally throw head and shells out, I'm saving the lot now. I love shrimps but not a fan of bisques . However I have friends who love it. My entree now can add a seafood bisque, minus okra,lol. :chef: :chef: :chef:

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
maydog USER_AVATAR
Maydog
Pilgrim

Postby Maydog » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:45 am

I'll give this a try. I make good chicken and sausage gumbo, but my attempts at seafood gumbo have been lacking.
18.5" Weber Smoky Mountain
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:42 pm

Nice gumbo. I had several stocks in the freezer up until last weekend chicken, turkey, duck, and vegetable. Down to duck and vegetable for now. Seafood stock is nice but I avoid using shrimp heads. Tails are good but I had a nasty stock when I used heads once.

The gumbo gestapo need to get a life. There are so many versions of gumbo that are excellent. I like okra in two versions; chicken okra and shrimp okra gumbo. But I also like seafood gumbo, chicken and sausage gumbo, chicken oyster andouille gumbo. And will substitute turkey or duck for chicken in any version.

Trying gumbo by other folks is always Interesting because they are all different. It's a diversity thing - lol.

A difference between a gumbo and a woman is your gumbo doesn't mind you trying other gumbos. :laughing7:

Nice post
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:57 am

egghead wrote:

A difference between a gumbo and a woman is your gumbo doesn't mind you trying other gumbos. :laughing7:

Nice post

I like that!! :lol: :lol:
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”