Grrrrrr

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jesusq
Pilgrim

Grrrrrr

Postby jesusq » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:41 pm

Hello,

So I am new to Texas, and also new to BBQ'ing. I recently bought my new home and well, one of my projects was to build a grill island.

I did a lot of homework, sketched it out on paper, and replanned it. But I forgot one thing. The size of the stone, so upon installing the stone, the gill now sits 1 /12" higher than what I had already measured and cut. Upon running into that got'ya I had to tailor a quick solution with an extra piece of hardy board. I then discovered that since I use stucco for the outer coating, I won't be able to touch-it up.

I wanted to know what else can I do to make it look presentable? Is there a trim I can buy or anything I can place under neigh the grill?
Attachments
IMG_0293.JPG
IMG_0289.JPG
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Grrrrrr

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:46 pm

Jesus, I am pretty good and off the cuff fabricating various weird things that the Wiffy and I come up with over the years BUT I don't understand what your problem is. So could you simplify it for an old man ?
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:23 pm

I see what he sayin, I think. Looks like he's go a little gap between the stucco and the stone under the rim of the overhang, that right Jesus?

My suggestion would be go to a good tile store, pick up a bucket of outdoor wet rated mastic, and some small tiles and just stick on a small tile border all the way round that both fills and covers up the gap. You can get all manner of colors or types from hand painted talavera to Italian vitreous glass to subway tiles. Since you are under the rim, you have the choice of either grouting it or butt mounting them against each other. I really like the Italian stuff as it has some reflectivity, maybe a nice black or brown to match against other colors you already got goin on. See example photo, though your rig looks much better.
Attachments
tile border.jpg
tile border.jpg (36.47 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
Old Man 79
Pilgrim

Postby Old Man 79 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:15 pm

The tile in the above picture would look good. Another option is a stainless piece the same width of the trim around the door on the right of the picture. Have it go across the bottom of the grill and up each side. Trim the 2 doors below the grill the same way and it would all look uniform.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”