Avoiding overkill

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JustinCouch
Outlaw

Avoiding overkill

Postby JustinCouch » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:49 pm

I took a peek at the air compressor tank I was going to use on my winter build and think it's a little to small. I would like to be able to cook like 6 slabs of spare ribs or 4 butts. That would be plenty of room for 2 briskets. Am I going over kill? When I cook for the family I use a small homemade stainless steel grill. But when I do cook for a crowd I always wish I had more room. Any suggestions on dimensions
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Avoiding overkill

Postby Txdragon » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:11 am

How big is the "crowd" you would cook for? 10 people, 20, 100? :laughing7: if your usual smoker is sufficient for at least 2 briskets, you can always just use those dimensions as a baseline, then double or triple or whatever. My cooker is 57 x 33.5 x 23 (as per manufacturer spec sheet anyhow). And it will get me through a decent crowd if I plan properly!
(Insert witty signature here)
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:45 am

Morning dragon. If you get a chance, I would love to see a picture of your smoker. Hope you have a good day.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:25 am

I'd say definately not overkill. My guess is you'll end up using all of that space more times than you realize.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:10 am

JustinCouch wrote:Morning dragon. If you get a chance, I would love to see a picture of your smoker. Hope you have a good day.

It's nothing special or fancy, it's an Oklahoma Joe Highland

It will hold a couple racks of ribs, 2 13lb briskets, 2 pork butts and a rack of ribs, or about 6-8 chickens. I can easily cook for 20 folks with it, depending on what I'm cooking.
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:17 am

THANKZ DRAGON IN NEEDED THAT. I WILL REMEASURE MY TANK AND POST DEMISIONS TONIGHT.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:50 am

I have two trailer mounted offsets. Bahama Mama is a 250 gall propane tank 30" diam. x 70" long. She will easily cook a 300 lb. pig or a 12 lb. brisket. I have no problem firing her up for one or the other. Little Mama is a 24" x 55" offset. She will not cook a 300 lb. pig because of the two doors. but she will cook 8 to ten briskets or about 20 pork butts. There again I have no problem firing her up for just one piece of meat.
My point is do not cut yourself short when building allow for some growing room in your cooks. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:28 pm

k.a.m. wrote:My point is do not cut yourself short when building allow for some growing room in your cooks. :D

^^^^^ That right there.
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:12 pm

I agree with KAM. He says that his big pit will cook as much or as little as needed. So that settles it, go for overkill
Old Man 79
Pilgrim

Postby Old Man 79 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:00 am

I agree with the above. If no one ever accuses you of going too big, you probably didn't go big enough. I completely avoided all negative thoughts of maybe this is too much when building "The Beast". I've never used more than about 10% of its capacity, but one day I will be glad I have the extra room.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:41 am

Good advice and sound logic there, Justin :tup: - - - is this a great BBQ Forum ?or what? - - :laughing7: :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:44 pm

Here in America we tend to embrace overkill. For example, the 500 Smith and Wesson, top fuel dragsters, Donald Trump. I feel like a fool for not wanting overkill. So to everyone out there who is about to make something go big!

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”