Any Insulated Vertical Cabinet folks here

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldcrow USER_AVATAR
oldcrow
Pilgrim

Any Insulated Vertical Cabinet folks here

Postby oldcrow » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:38 pm

I am expecting delivery of my LSG Insulated Vertical Cabinet smoker next week. Haven't used a vertical before, but I here they are very good.

If you use one and have any tips, I would love to hear them.

This is a mock up of my new smoker:
Attachments
mockup.jpg
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Any Insulated Vertical Cabinet folks here

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:47 pm

I really like the new comp cart.

I don't have one but it is definitely on my short list for my next smoker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75
aggie USER_AVATAR
Aggie
Pilgrim

Postby Aggie » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:27 pm

I have an LSG Vertical Cabinet and love it. Got it just over a month ago and have done 3-4 cooks on it. Just getting used to it currently.
Current Stable: LSG Vertical Insulated Cabinet, Large BGE, East Texas Smoker Trailer
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:52 pm

There are so many ways to cook on these you'll have experiment to see what works best for you. First decision is water or no water. I've settled on no water, which makes cleanup much easier. Next is what type of charcoal and how much to use. Briquets work well and have a good steady burn but I've grown weary of the chemical smells associated with Kingford. Academy has a house brand of charcoal that's not quite as offensive. Recently I've started using lump - which starts fast and has no chemical smell BUT is a bit trickier to control the temps/burn rate.

With regards to how much I've tried all the methods I could read or ask about. Full charcoal basket with hole in middle for the starter chimney... "U" shaped line.... "S" style.... All yielded long burn times but I had trouble keeping the pit under 300*. Like a UDS it take very little air to keep these things at temperature once they reach it. Also note that every pit has a sweet spot it likes to run at - don't force it lower or you'll really struggle. Mine purrs at 275* at the middle grate - little hotter above and cooler below. I now control my temps with fire size rather than with the dampers. One-half chimney worth to start and simply add more as the coal base drops.

You're wood must be well seasoned as you're not burning with an open flame. Also, you won't need much wood to impart good smoke flavor. A hand-held weed-burner can be used to preheat the cooking chamber. I can be up and running at 225* in about 15 minutes, which includes getting the chimney filled, lit, started and added to the firebox. Without the weed-burner it will take an hour or so to get up to temp. Try not to overshoot your target temp - these things don't cool down very well without a lot of fiddling. The cook chamber will stay hot for many hours after you're done.

Finally, all this rambling is based on my personal experience with an R&O FatGirl smoker. It's not intended to tell you the best way - only to let you know they behave differently than an offset. Good luck - LSG has some really nice looking stuff.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:59 pm

Txsmkmstr - great post! Really good info.

The Old Crow
Pilgrim

Postby The Old Crow » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:17 am

txsmkmstr wrote:There are so many ways to cook on these you'll have experiment to see what works best for you. First decision is water or no water. I've settled on no water, which makes cleanup much easier. Next is what type of charcoal and how much to use. Briquets work well and have a good steady burn but I've grown weary of the chemical smells associated with Kingford. Academy has a house brand of charcoal that's not quite as offensive. Recently I've started using lump - which starts fast and has no chemical smell BUT is a bit trickier to control the temps/burn rate.

Thanks txsmkmstr. That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.
aggie USER_AVATAR
Aggie
Pilgrim

Postby Aggie » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:29 am

If you find your smoker getting above where you want it and you are going with a no water approach, you can definitely add a water pan mid cook to help with the temps to bring them down.
Current Stable: LSG Vertical Insulated Cabinet, Large BGE, East Texas Smoker Trailer
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:51 am

Aggie wrote:If you find your smoker getting above where you want it and you are going with a no water approach, you can definitely add a water pan mid cook to help with the temps to bring them down.

Yup... Good fix right there. Also, if you start with water your pre-heat times will increase significantly - again, a weed-burner will help.

For me, the water in the pan seemed to hurt the formation of a nice bark and the meat looked more steamed than cooked. I would recommend you try water at some point but not during the initial seasoning process. You'll want to get a good season on water pan as well.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:36 pm

I repurposed an old wardrobe to use as a cabinet smoker with great results. I had intentions on insulating but it was blown down and busted up in a storm.

Bacon in the cabinet..
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:29 pm

Dang, TD, now I wish I hadn't left them Deer Blinds at the Lease for the new Owners. :banghead: :laughing7:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:47 pm

MacGyver????? smoking episode!!
That's pretty cool, I once saw a guy use a big cardboard box. I told him that he was going to burn it down. But he actually turned out some good Grub.

Ric G.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:50 pm

That is pretty slick.

My neighbor has a file cabinet smoker.

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:31 pm

LOL! Thanks for the kind words. My brother loved this idea and after he saw it in action, he kicked himself in the butt for giving me that wardrobe :laughing7:
Since its demise, I have looked around for another one and I found one not far from me but the fella wants 300 bucks for it... I'll pass..
(Insert witty signature here)
BobbyQ
Pilgrim

Postby BobbyQ » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:10 pm

Well, Tex, that is a brilliant idea. I actually kept an insulated smokehouse out in the barn. It's also known as a defunct refrigerator. I 30-06d some holes in the top and bottom of it to allow passage of air and smoke. Worked well. I junked it because I prefer cool smoking meats and fish at < 80° during the winter.
Raider18
Cowboy

Postby Raider18 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:24 pm

Do these have condensation issues like a flat lid drum does

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”