Trouble from the get go

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

willyd57 USER_AVATAR
Willyd57
Pilgrim

Trouble from the get go

Postby Willyd57 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:34 pm

Hi all, I'm Bill from West central Iowa.

Is there a bounty on my head? heck, I think it paid out to my X wife last time I was in the pokie!

I'm getting older, fat & lazy so I got an electric smoker that I can set and "almost" forget when I smoke something. I did some ribs first and they were just wonderful. Everyone was patting me on the back. So, Yesterday evening I tossed a well rubbed 10.5 lb brisket in the smoker and set it at 200 for 15 hours. Well, 15 hours came and went, and that darn brisket won't pass the toothpick test. So, I hit it with some mop and give it two more hours in the hot box.

Here is the question: At what point am I piss'n in the wind by cooking it more? am I in danger of drying the thing out now?

Thanks man! :salut:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Trouble from the get go

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:52 pm

At 200 degrees for 15 hours, I am thoroughly surprised you didn't turn that brisket into beef jerky. In fact, that's only 50 degrees warmer than the temp at which I actually do make jerky :D It takes 5-8 hours for my sausage rings to hit 160 at 200 deg; apply some of that logic there to a solid 10lb hunk of beef as opposed to 1.5lb ground/stuffed pork and beef and you'll probably see you're in for a long, LONG cook time. Anywho, if it is your desire to cook that low, plan on at least 24 hours or better. I would also probably wrap it after the first 5 hours to help it along.
(Insert witty signature here)
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:38 pm

Welcome to the forum,
200 is just not hot enough to cook that brisket properly, when I am doing an average cook the cook temp is 250 if it is a hurry up, the temp is 350 and a few other tactics get employed..
me and my methods, I don't cook anything at 200, maybe warm up some store bought sausage or such...
What's the name of the cooker? not that it matters, just curious..
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:18 am