Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bladerunner USER_AVATAR
BladeRunner
Rustler

Big box stick burner - basic prep/care

Postby BladeRunner » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:51 pm

Hey everyone-
I started in this forum with dreams of buildings my own pit. As I'm reading and learning more from all y'all I realize I need to do some more prep (and savings). Until then I still replace the rust box I have now.

So I'm going big box to get me down the road a year or three.

My questions:
I read somewhere to put some sort of automative lubricant/silicone/grease between the firebox and cook chamber during assembly- I can't find that article.
--- can someone clarify?

Can I buy a 12x12 1/4 inch steel plate - place it in the bottom of my firebox - and realize any increased longevity of the firebox?

Should I paint it over with 1200 high heat before using it?

What do I do with the old pit? Any reason to keep it?

Thanks y'all.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Re: Big box stick burner - basic prep/care

Postby Finatic » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:54 pm

BladeRunner wrote:Hey everyone-
I started in this forum with dreams of buildings my own pit. As I'm reading and learning more from all y'all I realize I need to do some more prep (and savings). Until then I still replace the rust box I have now.

So I'm going big box to get me down the road a year or three.

My questions:
I read somewhere to put some sort of automative lubricant/silicone/grease between the firebox and cook chamber during assembly- I can't find that article.
--- can someone clarify?

Can I buy a 12x12 1/4 inch steel plate - place it in the bottom of my firebox - and realize any increased longevity of the firebox?

Thanks y'all.

I'll try to help with a couple of your questions.
I'm not sure about the 1st & last ?'s. Yes you can buy a 1/4" steel plate. Most metal supply stores have them. If there is a Metals 4 U nearby I know they stock several sizes of plate in various thicknesses. As far as painting over an existing paint- I wouldn't recommend it unless you know what you are painting over. If you pit only has 300 degree paint it won't matter if you use 1200 degree paint or not the original paint will (eventually) peel and so will your high temp top coat.
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:14 pm

--- can someone clarify?

It the firebox is to be bolted to the cook chamber I would NOT use any of the above cited lubes. If you're worried about leakage I would suggest making a matching gasket out of material you'd find at an automotive supply store. If it were me I'd simply bolt it and forget it.

Firebox longevity is more dependent on proper maintenance - mainly cleaning all the ashes out after every cook. Ash that sits and gets wet will corrode things quickly. Your 12x12 plate wouldn't hurt anything but why not go 14x14 (18 gauge) and make a 1" lip all around for an ash pan.... that again you'll clean out every cook?

NO...... no paint inside the firebox. Outside areas that start showing rust are best treated with peanut oil while warm, which will "season" like a cast iron skillet.

You could use it as a charcoal grill if you put a grate in the cook chamber... otherwise trash it. (IMHO)
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:08 pm

JM2C before you spend the money on some leaky bolt together big box pit take a look at Old Country Pits the Pecos & Wrangler models. All welded construction & thicker steel. About the only mod they need and that is a personal decision as they cook fine without it is either tuning plates or a Yoder heat management plate. http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-cou ... tid=311402
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
bladerunner USER_AVATAR
BladeRunner
Rustler

Postby BladeRunner » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:06 pm

Thanks for your insights.

That's a good idea to basically make an ash box.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”