Whole Hog

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

smokin USER_AVATAR
smokin
Pilgrim

Whole Hog

Postby smokin » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:53 pm

Hi guys, I'm just a typical backyard BBQer. I've smoked ribs, brisket,chicken and some other stuff. I've got a whole hog thats about 8 lbs. and was thinking about smoking it whole. Do I need to do anything different than usual? How long should it take at about 200 - 225 and would that be the best temp.? I'll have more questions for you pros later.

Thanks
COMFORTABLY NUMB
dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Postby Dallas » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:57 pm

What type of cooker are you cooking it on Smokin? Are you planning on injecting the hams? Also might want to consider a mop type baste to keep it moist.
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Re: Whole Hog

Postby Big Mike » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:08 pm

smokin wrote:Hi guys, I'm just a typical backyard BBQer. I've smoked ribs, brisket,chicken and some other stuff. I've got a whole hog thats about 8 lbs. and was thinking about smoking it whole. Do I need to do anything different than usual? How long should it take at about 200 - 225 and would that be the best temp.? I'll have more questions for you pros later.

Thanks

Is that supposed to be 80lbs? 8lbs sure is a small hog. :D
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Postby Dallas » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:11 pm

That was my thought too but I saw a guy on the Home Channel last week cooking one on his gas grill on a rotisserie. Couldn't have been much bigger than 8 lbs if that.
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Bill
Rustler

Postby Bill » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:29 pm

Dallas wrote:That was my thought too but I saw a guy on the Home Channel last week cooking one on his gas grill on a rotisserie. Couldn't have been much bigger than 8 lbs if that.

Was that on "License to Grill" that's filmed in Canada? I saw it. Tiny little thing that was. :lol:
smokin USER_AVATAR
smokin
Pilgrim

Postby smokin » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:33 pm

Dallas wrote:What type of cooker are you cooking it on Smokin? Are you planning on injecting the hams? Also might want to consider a mop type baste to keep it moist.

Just the typical smoker with a seperate firebox on it.
COMFORTABLY NUMB
smokin USER_AVATAR
smokin
Pilgrim

Re: Whole Hog

Postby smokin » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:35 pm

Big Mike wrote:
smokin wrote:Hi guys, I'm just a typical backyard BBQer. I've smoked ribs, brisket,chicken and some other stuff. I've got a whole hog thats about 8 lbs. and was thinking about smoking it whole. Do I need to do anything different than usual? How long should it take at about 200 - 225 and would that be the best temp.? I'll have more questions for you pros later.

Thanks

Is that supposed to be 80lbs? 8lbs sure is a small hog. :D

Nope, 8 lbs. I got a couple of bigger ones and quartered them up but was gonna smoke this one whole.
COMFORTABLY NUMB
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:31 pm

smokin,

Did that pig still have stripes and a milk ring around its mouth?
:lol:
smokin USER_AVATAR
smokin
Pilgrim

Postby smokin » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:54 pm

Not that I saw, it was bigger than 8 live, Would'nt matter though...if they get in the trap with the big ones the smaller ones get eaten too.
COMFORTABLY NUMB
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:15 pm

smokin wrote:Not that I saw, it was bigger than 8 live, Would'nt matter though...if they get in the trap with the big ones the smaller ones get eaten too.

Post a pic of the trap. I interested in the contraption looks like. :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:24 pm

Honestly, I am not sure how long that would take to cook. Since the whole pig is only 8lbs, I'm thinking maybe 8 hours or so.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
dsorgnzd USER_AVATAR
Dsorgnzd
Pilgrim

Postby Dsorgnzd » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:08 pm

If it's that small, put it on a stick, dip it in batter, and deep fry it like a corn dog. :)
"The race is not always to the swift, nor the contest to the strong." (But that's how the smart money bets.)
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:20 pm

The little piggies are sure to taste better than a big 'ole stinky bore! No worries smokin.

Gator
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:19 pm

Dsorgnzd wrote:If it's that small, put it on a stick, dip it in batter, and deep fry it like a corn dog. :)

What if a guy treated it like a turkey and fried it in one of those turkey fryer machines? Might want to use lard instead of peanut oil. Just thinking outloud.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Postby Dallas » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:02 am

That sounds almost as decadent as that country fried bacon with the white cream gravy on top! For an eight pound pig it should definitely work! :D
Smoke 'em if you got 'em

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”