Hill Country German Cold Smoked Sausage

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

texmike USER_AVATAR
TexMike
Cowboy

Hill Country German Cold Smoked Sausage

Postby TexMike » Sun May 29, 2016 11:53 pm

Folks, I'm wondering where I can purchase German dry cold smoked sausage? I used to buy it years ago when traveling through the Hill Country. It would be in rings and hanging on nails on the wall of the butcher shop. I live in Dallas so I guess I need a mail order source.

Thanks, Mike
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Hill Country German Cold Smoked Sausage

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 30, 2016 6:25 am

Mike, the Wife and I always stop at Buc-ee's when traveling and get a link of dry sausage. We prefer the Venison but they have all kinds. I'm sure there's one close to DFW so you might be able to just run over and give them a try.

Also Kruez Market in Lockhart used to have great dry sausage.

I think that Tex Toby might know of that Mkt in Elgin and I'm thinking he posted just recently about that place?

Back in my Deer Hunting days, I used to jump off the Frwy and go through Luling, Texas to an old German Meat Market that had some of the best I've ever had but I have forgotten their name so you might try Googling it.

Good Luck :tup: :texas:

Edit: I've also eaten this and it was not bad at all.
https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e- ... ge/1943435
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 30, 2016 7:37 am

Mike, I also meant to say that I prefer the non-commercialized dry sausages hanging on the walls of the Mom and Pop Stores which is probably what you're looking for also. In other words the ones that never get to see the cellophane vacuum wrap. :laughing7:

Here's one more Texas Co. that I used to really like but they're a little pricey since their claim to fame. These are dry pencil sausage but decent snacking. http://www.chsausage.com/chsCart/pc/sho ... ubmit.y=20
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon May 30, 2016 10:39 am

You might check out Fischers Market in Muenster they make some good stuff.

http://fischersmeatmarket.com/
tarde venientibus ossa....
texmike USER_AVATAR
TexMike
Cowboy

Postby TexMike » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:17 pm

Thanks for the leads. I'll check them out.

Mike
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:30 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Mike, the Wife and I always stop at Buc-ee's when traveling and get a link of dry sausage. We prefer the Venison but they have all kinds. I'm sure there's one close to DFW so you might be able to just run over and give them a try.

Also Kruez Market in Lockhart used to have great dry sausage.

I think that Tex Toby might know of that Mkt in Elgin and I'm thinking he posted just recently about that place?

Back in my Deer Hunting days, I used to jump off the Frwy and go through Luling, Texas to an old German Meat Market that had some of the best I've ever had but I have forgotten their name so you might try Googling it.

Good Luck :tup: :texas:

Edit: I've also eaten this and it was not bad at all.
https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e- ... ge/1943435

OUP there are 2 in Elgin- Southside Market and Meyer's Smokehouse. Both have dried sausage. Southside is more famous buy Meyer's isn't bad.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:25 pm

Thanks Fin, it's been a long time since I've gone through or much less stopped in Elgin but I have gotten some good meats there in the past. - - - - :tup:
texmike USER_AVATAR
TexMike
Cowboy

Postby TexMike » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:18 am

I finally found the dried sausage rings. :cheers:

http://citymarket.bizland.com/store/page3.html

Mike
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:23 am

:tup: thanks for the follow and link, Mike, those pics sure look like they got it goin'on :cheers: I used to stop at a City Meat Mkt. in Giddings but I don't think they were affiliated. Glad you found some :texas:
BobbyQ
Pilgrim

Postby BobbyQ » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:10 pm

Good old-fashioned COLD smoked German sausage is no longer on the commercial market by reason the U.S.Food and Drug Administration rules which mandates smoked sausages on the commercial market be smoked to an internal temperature of170 degrees and maintaining that temperature for something like 15 minutes. That is the Pasteurization process. I make my own axis venison sausage here at the house, stuff it into casing then smoke it at less than 80° for a few hours. Makes excellent link sausage for breakfast and certainly leaving it in the refrigerator for a few weeks allows drying for the best dried sausage in the world.

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”