Firebox

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Sapo1251
Pilgrim

Firebox

Postby Sapo1251 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:53 am

So gonna start my trailer build soon. Since spending money on it. Should firebox be insulated or non insulated and what are pros and cons on it. it's a 8ft offset smoker with a 30x30x30 firebox with tuning plates being added.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Firebox

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:57 am

Personally I have never seen the need for an insulated firebox in our area. Some care for it and that is great i just do not feel the extra cost is warranted. I did have an insulated blanket built for the top of my new cookers firebox but that was strictly a safety thing for me and others.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:50 pm

I do not have an insulated firebox but I've cooked with a friend who has one. I think the insulated boxes will use less wood which means less work (he can get away with a just a few sticks once his fire is going on a brisket cook). Also if it is insulated you can have a bigger paint color selection as you typically do not need high temp paint. I also feel they are not necessary and not worth the extra work/cost involved. I'll be replacing my firebox in the near future and it will not be insulated. Plus when it's cold it's nice to have a warm firebox to stand next to.
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:08 pm

after watching Aaron Franklin build his pits on his show
he has insulated every pit since he built #2 for his restaurant
he builds his pits out of 1000 gallon propane tanks
and cuts down a 500 gallon tank for the firebox
he welds in a smaller diameter pipe into the firebox and welds a flat plate with the door on the end
he just has an air space between the outer and inner pipe sections
he swears by the two walled firebox
he also builds his fire with no rack. he prefers the round bottom of the firebox for his fire

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... oker+build
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:31 pm

CaptJack wrote:after watching Aaron Franklin build his pits on his show
he welds in a smaller diameter pipe into the firebox and welds a flat plate with the door on the end
he also builds his fire with no rack. he prefers the round bottom of the firebox for his fire

Maybe that's the way to go. I have seen that video. I too build my fires right on the bottom of my round firebox. I haven't used a grate in 10 years. And the part my firebox that is getting weak is the top not the bottom.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:05 pm

Finatic wrote:
CaptJack wrote:after watching Aaron Franklin build his pits on his show

Maybe that's the way to go. I have seen that video. I too build my fires right on the bottom of my round firebox. I haven't used a grate in 10 years. And the part my firebox that is getting weak is the top not the bottom.

The double wall with no insulation may let Franklin feel warm and cozy at night thinking he has done something but it is a poor substitute for insulation if you're going that route. Once the two stabilize the heat leaving is just as bad as if you had a single wall. I have a sacrificial 3/8" sacrificial plate mounted 1" off the top of my firebox on Bahama Mama it takes the brunt of the heat and saves my 1/4" top.
100_3349.JPG
100_3349.JPG (66.29 KiB) Viewed 3818 times

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
iridelow USER_AVATAR
iRIDElow
Wrangler

Postby iRIDElow » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:19 am

I'm curious why would you not use a grate in the bottom of your firebox?
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:12 am

iRIDElow wrote:I'm curious why would you not use a grate in the bottom of your firebox?

For me a grate only helped with airflow under the fire until coals and ashes filled that air gap which usually was only an hour or so. Since I have a round firebox I get plenty of air under the fire to get it started by placing my splits in a diagonal position. Having more air volume above my fire (between the fire and the top of my firebox) is more important to me than having an air gap below my fire. Also having a grate moves the fire closer to the top of the firebox which is where the hottest temperatures are which will result in a more rapid deterioration of the top of the firebox.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:29 am

I shake my basket with my poker to clear the ash build up it works pretty good doing that.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:48 am

I should add my theory probably only works on a round firebox. I don't know about having a firebox with a flat bottom.
dwilliams35
Pilgrim

Postby dwilliams35 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:31 pm

k.a.m. wrote:The double wall with no insulation may let Franklin feel warm and cozy at night thinking he has done something but it is a poor substitute for insulation if you're going that route. Once the two stabilize the heat leaving is just as bad as if you had a single wall. I have a sacrificial 3/8" sacrificial plate mounted 1" off the top of my firebox on Bahama Mama it takes the brunt of the heat and saves my 1/4" top.
100_3349.JPG
I guess in theory it could stabilize the temp on the inner wall a bit if you're outside in the winter, or getting rained on, or whatever.. You don't get some 2" per minute downpour taking down the temp of the firebox by fifty degrees.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”