Smoker Build/Addition

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Smoker Build/Addition

Postby Finatic » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:01 pm

So I started on a new addition to the family. Decided it was time to retire my 18"x30" charcoal pit that is on one side of my trailer pit and build a new one. The new addition is also going to be a charcoal pit but with some improvements. I'll have 2 slide out meat racks- the lower rack will be roughly 23"Dx29"W and the upper rack will be roughly 15"Dx29"W. I'll have a removable heat shield over a charcoal pan with plenty of distance between the charcoal and the cooking grates so she'll be versatile. I've had this design on paper for a while so I started by cutting out all of the pieces which is the part I hate (aside from flap wheel grinding). Then I was able to get started with the fabrication. Here are a few pics of the first day of fabrication.
Attachments
Stage 1- Side View- Rails.JPG
Here's a close up of the left side. I have angle iron in place for the charcoal and ash pans to slide on. Above that is the angle frame for the removable heat shield.
Stage 1- Side View-01.jpg
Side view- left side. I'll have an access door here with an air intake on the door.
Stage 1- Shell-Front View.JPG
Front view. She's not mounted in place yet. Had to remove my wood basket so she would fit. I'll re-size the wood basket and re-install it once I'm finished.
iridelow USER_AVATAR
iRIDElow
Wrangler

Re: Smoker Build/Addition

Postby iRIDElow » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:19 pm

interesting. I look forward to seeing your progress
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:39 am

Looks like an Assassin clone.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:42 am

BluDawg wrote:Looks like an Assassin clone.

Not familiar with that one BluDawg but I did see a Stump's cooker I really liked that I patterned this one after. The main difference between mine and Stump's is I increased the distanced between the charcoal and the cooking grates which is why it is taller than the Stump's. The concept is similar to a UDS- just in a different shape with a larger cooking surface.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:37 am

Very nice work Finatic. :D I look forward to following your progress. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:38 pm

k.a.m. wrote:Very nice work Finatic. :D I look forward to following your progress. :D

Thanks k.a.m.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:40 pm

I made some progress this weekend. Installed the top piece and smoke stacks. Built the upper and lower meat racks, the ash pan and the charcoal basket. Still have a ways to go but it's starting to take shape.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Front view with meat racks in place
image.jpeg
Charcoal basket- 6"Tx12"Wx24"L. Will hold plenty of charcoal.
image.jpeg
The bottom racks holds 2 full size aluminum pans. Top holds 3 half size aluminum pans.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:13 pm

Made a little more progress. All of the corners are now fully welded and ground smooth (using flapwheel- 60 grit). Both the front door and side doors are finished and hung. The front door is insulated with 2" mineral wool insulation. Got my smoke stack dampers in place. She's coming along. Was able to do a test burn in her on Sunday. Put about 1/3 of a 20 lb bag of lump charcoal in the basket and a few nice sized oak splits. She ran about 7 hours primarily around 350-375 (using my IGrill thermometer probe). I don't have my heat deflector plate in yet so this was direct heat (on the bottom rack). Very happy the way she responds to intake adjustments. Still have quite a bit to do. My thermometers (decided to go with 2-3" on the front door) should come in this week (I currently have 1/2" plugs installed where the thermometers will screw into) along with my gas struts (I'm planning on installing on strut on each side of the door since the door weights about 70 lbs). Still need to install a rack on the front to set stuff on and install a small shelf for my digital thermometer as well as a door handle and latches on the side access door. And that's just for the smoker itself. Then I'll have to cut down my wood basket and re-installed it. Then give her a new paint job.
Attachments
Front Left with Door on.JPG
Left side with side access door hung.
Front Right with Door on.JPG
Front view- corners ground with front door and smoke stack dampers in place
IMG_0805.JPG
This is the front door frame with the 2" mineral wool insulation (before I covered it up with the backside door skin)
Front Door- Backside.JPG
This is the back side of the front door. Went with high temp rope (or tadpole) gasket
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:33 am

Looking awesome Finatic. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:34 pm

Thanks k.a.m. I'm happy with it.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:03 pm

She's pretty much finished! This build ended up taking me a lot longer than I thought. I put almost as many hours in this smoker as my 30"x72" offset (on the trailer behind it).

The company I bought my gas springs from sent the wrong gas springs (which are too light) so the door won't stay open. :banghead: Waiting on the correct gas springs to arrive. As soon as the do I'll be able to post some pics of the inside. I also still need to address a few paint blemishes and add one more coat of paint. I always like to apply the first coat of paint, then get it hot to bake on the paint. Then add a second coat and bake it on.

I've had 2 fires in her already. She runs pretty much like my UDS but with a lot more cooking area. I think she's gonna work!
Attachments
Finished- Left.JPG
Finished- Front.JPG
Finished- Right.JPG
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:19 pm

22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”