Old Country Wrangler Smoker

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

big k-dawg USER_AVATAR
Big K-Dawg
Pilgrim

Old Country Wrangler Smoker

Postby Big K-Dawg » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:26 am

Hi guys! I am planning to purchase a Old Country Wrangler Smoker and I want to get a fire basket to use the minion method to extend my cook times for brisket and such. Does anyone know the measurements of the fire box? I plan to order a fire box off Ebay but I want to make sure it will fit the Wrangler! Thanks in advance for any help! :-)
marvda1
Wrangler

Re: Old Country Wrangler Smoker

Postby marvda1 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:26 pm

where are you located? i think big ed makes them.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:14 pm

Why do you want to use charcoal as the fuel source in a stick burner?? . Stick burners are all about air flow Is adding a split every 45 min that big of a deal? Putting a basket in the box only restricts the air flow making it hard to regulate the temps.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
big k-dawg USER_AVATAR
Big K-Dawg
Pilgrim

Postby Big K-Dawg » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:58 pm

I was thinking about extending my cook times without having to monitor the pit every hour or so! I am living in Houston! Thanks for your suggestions in advance!:-)
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:27 am

Big K-Dawg wrote:I was thinking about extending my cook times without having to monitor the pit every hour or so! I am living in Houston! Thanks for your suggestions in advance!:-)

My advice is buy a 22.5" WSM or build a UDS if you are looking for extended cook time for long cooks.
The problem you will run into with trying to use the minion method in a offset is by the time your coal base is hot enough to heat the cooker it will run away with you. The minion method is a slow burn meant for vertical cookers not offsets.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Mark
Pilgrim

Postby Mark » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:53 am

don't buy this pit. spend your money and join the ranks of the pellet poopers.

Mark
big k-dawg USER_AVATAR
Big K-Dawg
Pilgrim

Postby Big K-Dawg » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:56 am

Thanks for the knowledge k.a.m.! You saved me a few bucks! I will prepare to add my splits every hour and like it! Lol! Have a blessed day!:-)
big k-dawg USER_AVATAR
Big K-Dawg
Pilgrim

Postby Big K-Dawg » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:01 am

Hey Mark! What are some of the pros for your argument of a pellet cooker over a stick burner! I have seen the PC, but I have never used one. Thanks in advance for you insight! :-)
Mark
Pilgrim

Postby Mark » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:59 am

I have no real views on pellet cookers except that a person doesn't have to tend their fire, which I think is a HUGE, HUGE part of the whole BBQ cooking experience. To me, cooking on anything that a person can "set it and walk away" is just another form of cooking in the oven, in the kitchen. Sad to say this is going to ruffle a few feathers but here it goes......anything you have to plug into a wall socket isn't BBQ to me.

I cook on a offset, have always cooked on a offset, and would be hard swayed to cook on anything else. That being said, I also have a UDS that I use when cooking larger cuts of meat. If I want to "sleep", I cook on my offset until the meat has taken enough smoke, wrap and then transfer to the drum that is purring away. I think the flavor of a finished product that comes off a stick burner is just a bit better.

"opinions are like a--holes, everyone has one" I guess that's why God made Ford's and Chevy's

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”