Hi, I'm new!

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

mrtrt USER_AVATAR
mrtrt
Pilgrim

Hi, I'm new!

Postby mrtrt » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:02 pm

Hi

Checking in as a new guy. First things first. I live in the Texas panhandle, but I'm from Austin via Wyoming. It would be almost impossible to explain that. As far as am I a wanted man? Hmm with current laws and pinky promise codes I'm almost positive the statue of limitations have expired, making me free to roam aimlessly without concern. However,I will not be visiting the west coast or Arizona anytime soon. I found this forum after searching for info and trying to figure out what kind of grill I "need" vs the one I "want"

I have a weber Genesis "old faithful" it's my during the week griller - just unstoppable maintenance free delight.
I also have a char griller - Akorn. This one is the grill that put me on the path. it almost put me in the BGE market. But if you know Akorns, then you know the trials and tribulations I've been through. Who seriously keeps the original receipt? Come on Akorn!

So I read a book, Mr. Franklins book to be exact. I got all hopped up on no clueism, and grand plans. Mr. Franklin did inspire me however. I went and talked to a guy , to have him make me a grill. Well the guy delivered he made me a grill, exceot that it was small. Think spinal tap and the stone hedge fiasco. What he charged still makes my eye twitch. This guy was a "professional welder" has a business, I don't know how, because he didn't listen to a word I said, Which also makes my eye twitch. So very long story short, I now have a small grill that one day is going to be my firebox. On the grill, that I'm now going to make myself.

So now that I've written a book, this is why I'm here. I'm here to learn as much as I can from some folks that have been there done that. Made the mistakes and want to share the wisdom they have gained. I'll be a willing participant in the school of hard knocks, in return I'll offer you the giggles you will get from my misfortunes. As I try to figure all this out.

This what I'll be bugging you all about in the near future. Good entry level welders. Types, places, and preferences of metals. After that's all done. Then it will be the usual I built it, now what questions.

Look forward to it. Thank you

Mrtrt
Last edited by mrtrt on Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mrtrt

Weber Genesis "old faithful"
Char griller - Akorn " it's dead to me"
Worlds smallest grill - it's seriously in danger of being crushed by a little person
Coming soon - TBD - no name as of yet
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Hi, I'm new!

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:23 pm

Howdy, Panhandler, lots of difference between the Hill Country and the Panhandle but it looks like you've got a plan. - - - - WELCOME :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:58 pm

Welcome aboard looks like you've found the right place for your interests.
Feel free to join right in and we anxiously wait to hear about your adventures........ :happ:
tarde venientibus ossa....
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:30 pm

Welcome aboard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:47 pm

Big Welcome :D .
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
mrtrt USER_AVATAR
mrtrt
Pilgrim

Postby mrtrt » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:26 pm

Thanks everyone look forward to learning from you.
Mrtrt

Weber Genesis "old faithful"
Char griller - Akorn " it's dead to me"
Worlds smallest grill - it's seriously in danger of being crushed by a little person
Coming soon - TBD - no name as of yet
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:18 am

Welcome to the forum
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq