Need some advice- Rec Tec pellet smoker vs. Lone star Grillz cabinet

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

branden77
Pilgrim

Need some advice- Rec Tec pellet smoker vs. Lone star Grillz cabinet

Postby branden77 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:48 pm

At the moment I am torn between the two different cookers. I like the ease of the Rec Tec, but I am worried it might not produce as much smoke flavor as I would like. So, I went searching around and found the Lone Star Insulated cabinet smoker, which looks awesome but I just do not hear a lot of feedback from it. Would like some feedback about both of these cookers. So I can pull the trigger on one of them soon! Thanks again everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tinye11
Pilgrim

Re: Need some advice- Rec Tec pellet smoker vs. Lone star Grillz cabinet

Postby Tinye11 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:10 pm

Look at this insulated smoker.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26494
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:25 pm

You can get all of the smoke flavor you want with a pellet grill. Just use an A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker. http://www.amazon.com/A-MAZE-N-AMNPS5X8-Pellet-Smoker/dp/B007ROPJ1M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1454711038&sr=8-4&keywords=a+maze+n+smoker
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:43 am

Tinye11 wrote:Look at this insulated smoker.

I cannot believe this thing hasn't sold yet... :dont:

It's a "smoking" deal and if I didn't own it's bigger sister I'd be all over it. :thap:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:45 am

I'd be interested in hearing from anybody that moved from a stick burner to Lonestar Grillz cabinet. I am keeping the cabinet option open for my next smoker due to potential limited backyard space. They look like they are built like tanks.

Twitter handle @bsooner75
branden77
Pilgrim

Postby branden77 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:31 am

Okie Sawbones wrote:You can get all of the smoke flavor you want with a pellet grill. Just use an A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker. [url]http://www.amazon.com/A-MAZE-N-AMNPS5X8-Pellet-Smoker/dp/B007ROPJ1M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1454711038&sr=8-4&keywords=a+maze+n+smoker[/url]

Okie do you own a rec tec, if so how do you like it compared to a traditional offset cooker?

branden77
Pilgrim

Postby branden77 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:27 pm

Okie Sawbones wrote:You can get all of the smoke flavor you want with a pellet grill. Just use an A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker. [url]http://www.amazon.com/A-MAZE-N-AMNPS5X8-Pellet-Smoker/dp/B007ROPJ1M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1454711038&sr=8-4&keywords=a+maze+n+smoker[/url]

Okie- do you own a rec tec? If so how do you like it compared to a traditional offset stick burner?

branden77
Pilgrim

Postby branden77 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:33 pm

Tinye11 wrote:Look at this insulated smoker.

Thanks for the offer man, but I want something brand new. Very nice pit though!

Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:33 pm

branden77 wrote:

Okie- do you own a rec tec? If so how do you like it compared to a traditional offset stick burner?

Blaz'n Grills pellet. Totally different animal than an offset. A set and forget grill -- mine holds 30 lbs. of pellets which runs it 24+ hours. You have to constantly feed the beast when using an offset. I put a brisket on the pellet at 10 pm and go to bed -- can't do that with an offset. But a pellet will not cook brisket for 50 people, so I fire up the offset then. Each has it's place.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
branden77
Pilgrim

Postby branden77 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:27 pm

Okie Sawbones wrote:[quote="branden77"][quote="Okie Sawbones"]You can get all of the smoke flavor you want with a pellet grill. Just use an A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker. [url]http://www.amazon.com/A-MAZE-N-AMNPS5X8-Pellet-Smoker/dp/B007ROPJ1M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1454711038&sr=8-4&keywords=a+maze+n+smoker[/url]

[/quote]

Blaz'n Grills pellet. Totally different animal than an offset. A set and forget grill -- mine holds 30 lbs. of pellets which runs it 24+ hours. You have to constantly feed the beast when using an offset. I put a brisket on the pellet at 10 pm and go to bed -- can't do that with an offset. But a pellet will not cook brisket for 50 people, so I fire up the offset then. Each has it's place.[/quote]

Thanks for your help! Do you feel like the flavor of smoke is just as good as an offset?

Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:02 pm

branden77 wrote:Thanks for your help! Do you feel like the flavor of smoke is just as good as an offset?

No, but it is certainly good enough.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
Smoke30BBQ
Pilgrim

Postby Smoke30BBQ » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:36 pm

I own a Lonestar cabinet smoker and it's a beast of a smoker. Its well built, holds tons of meat and purrs like a kitten. IMO they don't take a backseat to anyone. If you have any specific questions let me know and I will do my best to answer them.
branden77
Pilgrim

Postby branden77 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:37 am

Smoke30BBQ wrote:I own a Lonestar cabinet smoker and it's a beast of a smoker. Its well built, holds tons of meat and purrs like a kitten. IMO they don't take a backseat to anyone. If you have any specific questions let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

Do you use lump or briquettes in it? How is the flavor compared to a regular stick burner? Is it hard to produce the clean blue smoke from it, and maintaining constant temps?

Smoke30BBQ
Pilgrim

Postby Smoke30BBQ » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:25 pm

I have used both. The flavor compared to a stick burner imo is better but thats all up to how you use it. Its really easy to maintain temps. It usually takes about 30 minutes to get it up to temp amd dialed in. Once its there I check on it about every 3 to 4 hours. Most time there is nothing to do other than open another cold one.
branden77
Pilgrim

Postby branden77 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:28 pm

Smoke30BBQ wrote:I have used both. The flavor compared to a stick burner imo is better but thats all up to how you use it. Its really easy to maintain temps. It usually takes about 30 minutes to get it up to temp amd dialed in. Once its there I check on it about every 3 to 4 hours. Most time there is nothing to do other than open another cold one.

Thanks for your help! Do you own the mini or full size one?

Return to “General Discussion”