vent hood

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sinfony78
Rustler

vent hood

Postby sinfony78 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:21 pm

hey guys,
i'm trying to vent the smoke coming from the stack outside the patio...because of the place the offset is located and how the patio is built, i am going to have to vent it up straight through the patio roof

i figured i'd cut through the roof and vent it through with metal ducts (think a/c and water heater ducts up through the roof) but i need some ideas of how to catch the smoke from above the stack. i was thinking of using a range hood, but the under cabinet hoods seem kind of small and the island range hoods are perfectly sized, but expensive.

i like island range hoods i see here -
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Appliances-C ... 5yc1vZc3nu

but i don't need to spend that much and don't need fans or lights. if it were possible to get just a shell of that somewhere made of cheap metal, but i've looked in the duct section of home depot and haven't found anything

help with ideas, please
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: vent hood

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:35 pm

I would think a draw/exhaust fan would be a must :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:00 am

Look at photos of the Salt Lick original pit in Driftwood - might give you an idea for an option. A local welder or steel fabrication shop might be able to do something for a decent price.

http://35drsm2kcjyo1uhpn73720ja.wpengin ... BQ-Pit.jpg
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
sinfony78
Rustler

Postby sinfony78 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:50 pm

i dont' 'think a fan is necessary if i make the hood and exhaust above large enough, i'll just mount it a foot or so above and let gravity do its thing...there shouldn't be any reason the smoke wouldn't be able to be drawn out on top, is there?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:00 pm

draw and draft without a fan depends a lot on the top of the chimney - - - with a fireplace, the taller the better but if you don't have any obstructions blocking the currents then you should be OK - - - Also any good sheet metal shop should be able to fab you one up to your specs pretty reasonable - - - Good Luck and let us know what you end up doing :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”