Meat SLicers Which One?

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

HillCountryKid
Wrangler

Meat SLicers Which One?

Postby HillCountryKid » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:05 am

Looking at buying a new meat slicer? We do a lot of bacon, cheese, and hams. What do you recommend?
Thanks
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Re: Meat SLicers Which One?

Postby ChileFarmer » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:04 am

I have a 10", what ever you get make sure it is at least 12". You won't be sorry. Check out your used restaurant supply. I would rather have a name brand used than a new one from china.CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:21 pm

Depends on how big your wallet is. You can spend $7,000+ for a slicer. Globe, Hobart, and Berkel are usually considered the top three. I have the Berkel 827A-PLUS 12". I absolutely agree with ChileFarmer. Get a 12".

Cheese is your nemesis. Most entry level slicers say no cheese slicing. You need to get up to the mid-tier level. You can save quite a bit of money going with an Avantco SL512 12", about half the price of a Berkel, and it is a solid slicer.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
HillCountryKid
Wrangler

Postby HillCountryKid » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:41 am

Thanks guys, going to check the local used restaurant supply. I like the look of this one Okie Avantco SL512 12, man that is a lot of money. What I have come to the conclusion is that meat slicers and most things you get what you pay for. We do about 100lbs of bacon a year, and lots of hams and deli meats. We had a small china slicers and could not handel it.

Thanks
clnserviceatlanta
Pilgrim

Postby clnserviceatlanta » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:05 am

I also needed a slicer, because after every use of mine, everything was sliced very ugly. So I followed your advice and bought Avantco SL512 12". I can say that it is worth every penny!
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:20 am

clnserviceatlanta wrote:I also needed a slicer, because after every use of mine, everything was sliced very ugly. So I followed your advice and bought Avantco SL512 12". I can say that it is worth every penny!

It is a great slicer for the money. Glad you're happy with it. :cheers:
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
rexster314
Pilgrim

Postby rexster314 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:29 pm

For people still looking, I was in the same jam a couple of years ago. I had an MTN 10" that just wasn't up to the task of slicing my bacon correctly. The carriage was too small for the bacon I was doing.
I began checking out Craigslist and about a month later found a used Hobart 1612 slicer that was made in the 70's. For $150 drive out. It was in fairly decent condition but the gauge plate was frozen which happens a lot to these slicers. People use Pam for lubricants and sooner or later the stuff dries to a hard plastic substance. I had to use my propane torch and a dead blow rubber hammer to free up the guide rods. After cleaning everything and sanitizing everything it works like a champ. It even still had the original sharpener. About 90 pounds of cast aluminum, but it's not going anywhere.

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”