Sponsorship Question

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

1484 FPC
Pilgrim

Sponsorship Question

Postby 1484 FPC » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:04 am

Fellas, I'm into my 2nd year of competition BBQ in Texas. I compete in IBCA mainly and I'm finding out that I can't cook as many as I want due to the costs. I was in the Top 25 in the IBCA rankings and can't nail a sponsor down to save my life. I see guys that are either out there for the party, or ranked below me just raking in sponsor money. How do I go about asking for help? I really hate the thought of asking for a sponsorship, but I guess it's the norm. Any advice or insight on this would definitely help me out. Thanks!
1484 Front Porch Cookers
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Sponsorship Question

Postby k.a.m. » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:35 am

My wife and I have been approached several times about company sponsor but when I explain that I will not cook for a party at the comp we never here back which is fine with us. Are you setting aside your winnings to help feed your events? Being in the top 25 in IBCA means you are winning some events unless you are cooking a lot and only placing in the top ten. Are you cooking under another team name other than 1484 Front Porch Cookers? I did not see this team in the top 25 last year in the rankings.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
1484 FPC
Pilgrim

Postby 1484 FPC » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:22 am

KAM,

I was talking about this year as far as the rankings. We have slid back a bit, since we haven't done many here lately. We use our winnings from the previous cook-off to pay for the next, and it normally works out. However, we participate in 3 or 4 that are really, really big (expensive) cook-offs, so I was trying to see about approaching sponsors for those. Last year it cost us $800 out of pocket to do the Montgomery County Fair alone.
1484 Front Porch Cookers
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:57 am

Good Morning,

We are not a big team nor do we do a lot off cook offs a year. We average maybe 5 a year depending on work schedules between my brother and I. However if it wasn't for sponsorship help we couldn't do it at all.
The way I approach it is first off I identify the sponsor I want then simply call or walk in and ask for the director of marketing and or manager. I provide pics of past cook-offs and awards if any walks were made. The first thing normally asked is what do you need? or how much money do you need? and what do I get in return?

I simply tell them that it depends on what is donated or how much $ is donated. That's amounts you decide to request is up to you. Our first option is they get advertising in our camp with a banner or flag that they must provide. Second option or what I would extend an invitation to the sponsor and three guest to come out and hang out with us.
We once made a deal with FASTENAL who donated two spots and cash money for the San Antonio rodeo cook off included a party tent. Our deal with them was we would cook for them on Friday night from 5-10 with a select few to return on Saturday to hang out. that worked out well.

One year for the rodeo we had sponsors that combined covered or donated the entry fee, Rubs, Lump Charcoal, Meats, and even Beer. Total cost spent was about $2,000.00 out of which I spent maybe $200.00 out of my own pocket. And total sponsors that showed up were 4 people.

Like I've said we don't do many cook-offs and when we do we have done well. Hit and Miss but a good time nonetheless.
A list of past sponsors are; Fiesta spices and rubs, B&B Charcoal, Fastenal, QW Express freight, Mission Controls and supply, Laxson sausage company, Screen graphics company, Glacier distribution and Keystone Synergy.

I always say you cant be turned down for sponsorship if you don't ask first.

Ric G.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:27 pm

Every cook off we do is a minimum of 500.00/600.00 start to finish. I wish we had a sponsor but we do not Debbie manages our books and keeps track of what we need to reach to make another event. It is double tough on us because my money is her money it isn't like we have two or three family's investing.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
riseabove50 USER_AVATAR
riseabove50
Rustler

Postby riseabove50 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:39 am

this is a really interesting question. i'm also interested in getting into bbq competitions but am concerned about the investment mounting up over time.

i wonder if there's a community or thread out there of people looking for sponsorship and companies interested in sponsoring, but the two groups don't have a place to connect. would it be appropriate to have that on this site? just curious.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:57 am

riseabove50 wrote:this is a really interesting question. i'm also interested in getting into bbq competitions but am concerned about the investment mounting up over time.

i wonder if there's a community or thread out there of people looking for sponsorship and companies interested in sponsoring, but the two groups don't have a place to connect. would it be appropriate to have that on this site? just curious.

I have never heard of one. Most of the connections are word of mouth there are not a lot of company's out there that budget for sponsorship money of teams without some sort of huge return in their favor. Usually the team reaches out to them like I said a lot of them want you to feed folks I do not do that at comps so it makes it hard for me to negotiate terms. We gave up our old hobby of fishing to be able to somewhat support this one. Our boat had not seen water in 18 months so it was an easy decision to sell it.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
riseabove50 USER_AVATAR
riseabove50
Rustler

Postby riseabove50 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:46 am

so for us "start-up" competitors it may make more sense to stick to the smaller competitions which may cost a bit less until we hone our product until we feel it's ready for the next level up. and we just chalk the cost of a smaller competition up to "hobby expenses" for the time being.
Monster Buck
Pilgrim

Postby Monster Buck » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:17 pm

Most of my donators consist of getting 75 to100 from them but I cook them a brisket. So I get about 50 per donation, the pit is fired up so no real extra work plus it gives me more briskets to choose from. Most use the briskets to feed their employees at work for appreciation lunch.
Markw142
Cowboy

Postby Markw142 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:58 am

I work for my two older brothers, and we worked out a deal where i cook for company events (we have one or two big parties a year...300-400 ppl) and in turn they bought my comp rig and donate to some of the comps we do. But one of the best way I've picked up other sponsors is by having some business cards printed up for the team. When someone's interested i give them a card and get their contact information and follow up with them the next day (biz cards seem to give you more credibility and that you're not just some fly-by-night guy. Then depending on the level that they want to donate...we'll fly their flags, put out promotional material...if they want to sponsor a whole year, we'll throw an appreciation party for their employees and cook and serve for them. (they have to supply the consumables of course)....haven't found another big sponsor yet, but all the comps we've done so far have been sponsored...I've also had luck in getting some of my equipment sponsored (generator, thermometers, etc...) oh and it may help that most (90%-95%) of the cook-offs we do are for charity events. Another source of sponsorship is that i cook for weddings, events, etc. (first i clarify very clearly that i am NOT a caterer) They pick up the costs of the consumables, and donate $200-$800 to our next event or two. The understanding is that the money donated goes to the cost of the events, and equipment for the team...(sometimes you have to replace a tent or grate, propane bottles...etc.) Keep in mind that when cooking for friends, that stuff happens, layoffs...One of the few things i learned along the way is that a friendship is more important than money, and i don't loan money...i give you the money, if you pay me back, great, if not...no loss.
WDS Cookers - Tomball Tx
LoneStar Grillz LSGTP 24’’X 84’’ trailer rig
Oklahoma Joe offset 20"x48" home rig
Weber kettle

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”