building my pit

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: building my pit

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:08 pm

The only problem with those I see is there is no way to mount them to a trailer.
Building one like mine is easy. It is made out of 1.25" x 1/8" tubing and some 1" x 1/4" flat bar. a little plate and some 1.5" pipe cut offs.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
jellyworker USER_AVATAR
jellyworker
Rustler

Postby jellyworker » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:14 pm

thanks kam. i may try that.

but for now i'm thinking i'll just use the firebox. it has a 24" top. i should be able to put a pan or pot on top of it and let it go. i may even be able to put a skillet on it and fry up some eggs.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:53 pm

You could get a fish burner and use it.
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor ... id=1377558

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
jellyworker USER_AVATAR
jellyworker
Rustler

Postby jellyworker » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:09 pm

well i already have a few of these...

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor ... ElementId=

you think i could weld one of these on, or should i just forget about welding it on and just lug it around w/ me when i need it.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:15 pm

You could weld or tack it down then when you find what you want remove it. Or you could just throw it in the truck when you need it. I know a lot of teams that just have it mobile that way if the weather is bad you can cook under a pop up canopy.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
jellyworker USER_AVATAR
jellyworker
Rustler

Postby jellyworker » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:22 pm

thats a good idea. i think i'll go that route.
jellyworker USER_AVATAR
jellyworker
Rustler

Postby jellyworker » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:32 pm

hey kam. are you around?

need help w/ paint. i'm was discussing paint w/ a guy at the local bbq store. he was saying that i need to primer and paint as soon as sand blasting is done.

first question, do i really need primer? i know i should, but i have never used it on a paint job.

second, do i need to do it directly after the sandblast or can it wait a day or so? outside of the elements... what i mean is if i get it sandblasted sunday, and put it in the garage, can i paint it the following weekend?

i plan to paint myself. i've read that spray can are horrible. i plan to use a roller.
is this advisable? or should i have it primed and painted professionally?

i see guys say don't paint the firebox... well i've grinded the firebox down pretty good. that really won't match the pit after the paint, and to my untrained eye i think will look horrible and tacky. what do you suggest here? paint no paint on firebox? what about primer? everything, the firebox along w/ trailer and pit will be standblasted.

thanks
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:16 pm

Depending on the humidity and the dew point in the shop the metal will be good for a few days max then it will start to surface rust or flash as it is called.
If you use Rustoleum BBQ black it is a DTM paint which means it can go on directly to the metal with no primer. Now remember you are crippling the paint by prolonging the paint job.
I would blast the firebox and and paint it as well.
The trailer will need to be primed if you are just using an enamel that is not DTM.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:04 am

Looking good jellyworker! Something to be proud of.

KAM makes a good point about the pit rusting in a hurry. I've seen metal "flash" rust in 30 minutes after it was sandblasted. It depends on the moisture in the air. I'd be ready to paint it as soon as it is sandblasted.

If you choose not to paint the firebox you can get the firebox hot then spray cooking oil all over it. Do this a few times and it will be almost as black as the painted pit. I've been doing this for years and it's hard to tell my firebox isn't painted. You just have to make sure you keep a spray bottle with cooking oil on the pit and spray the firebox each time you cook.
jellyworker USER_AVATAR
jellyworker
Rustler

Postby jellyworker » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:18 am

thanks gents.

i think 'ill go w/ the oil on the firebox and paint the rest. i'll paint as soon as its done w/ the sandblast.

thanks again.
jellyworker USER_AVATAR
jellyworker
Rustler

Postby jellyworker » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:32 am

found a guy on craigslist that will paint and blast for 225.

think i'll take him up on that offer. only thing is i have to drive d@mn near to the woodlands. i'm in the richmond area between 1464 and hwy 99.

but for 225 i think i'll make that drive.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:44 am

jellyworker wrote:found a guy on craigslist that will paint and blast for 225.

think i'll take him up on that offer. only thing is i have to drive d@mn near to the woodlands. i'm in the richmond area between 1464 and hwy 99.

I would do that deal in a heart beat.
I would also paint the firebox and as the paint starts to deteriorate then use the oil on it instead of repainting.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
riseabove50 USER_AVATAR
riseabove50
Rustler

Postby riseabove50 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:25 pm

Finatic wrote:Looking good jellyworker! Something to be proud of.

KAM makes a good point about the pit rusting in a hurry. I've seen metal "flash" rust in 30 minutes after it was sandblasted. It depends on the moisture in the air. I'd be ready to paint it as soon as it is sandblasted.

If you choose not to paint the firebox you can get the firebox hot then spray cooking oil all over it. Do this a few times and it will be almost as black as the painted pit. I've been doing this for years and it's hard to tell my firebox isn't painted. You just have to make sure you keep a spray bottle with cooking oil on the pit and spray the firebox each time you cook.

I don't think i've heard of oiling the fire box. do you spray it inside and out?

i've used my cooker quite a few times and the inside of the firebox is pretty dirty, a little rusty and used as a firebox normally looks. obviously over time i imagine this is going to deteriorate the fire box to the point of it not being useable. any tips on prolonging this deterioration?

thanks
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:24 pm

riseabove50 wrote:
Finatic wrote:Looking good jellyworker! Something to be proud of.

I don't think i've heard of oiling the fire box. do you spray it inside and out?

i've used my cooker quite a few times and the inside of the firebox is pretty dirty, a little rusty and used as a firebox normally looks. obviously over time i imagine this is going to deteriorate the fire box to the point of it not being useable. any tips on prolonging this deterioration?

thanks

Outside only.
If you rake out the coals after every cook a 1/4" firebox will last many years. Ash is caustic and will create rust about as fast as salt water. My comp cookers firebox is going on three years old and pretty much looks like the day I built it on the inside. Between catering, competitions, and benefits we have cooked a lot of meat in Bahama Mama. Tomorrow we will be cooking 200 leg quarters and a case of links.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
jellyworker USER_AVATAR
jellyworker
Rustler

Postby jellyworker » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:11 pm

k.a.m. wrote:
jellyworker wrote:found a guy on craigslist that will paint and blast for 225.

I would do that deal in a heart beat.
I would also paint the firebox and as the paint starts to deteriorate then use the oil on it instead of repainting.

only thing is i have to provide the paint. which is no prob. at first i was looking at cheap paint then i said to myself, do you want to paint it 2 or 3 times, or once. so i've increased my paint budget.

firebox....paint first, then oil on the paint? did i read that right?

so paint the firebox, then and only when it starts to deteriorate hit it w/ oil?

and not hit it with oil before it shows signs of wear?
Last edited by jellyworker on Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”