New trailer build. Some new additions. 5/6/17

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: New trailer build. Updated 09/07/15

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:51 am

Yesterday I got the door stops on and the handles for the cooker doors. I also got one of the digital therm trays mounted.
Here are the door stops.

Here is my low key jig for my handles.

Here is the shelf for the digital therm on the left side.

Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:04 am

I see some floor grate in the back ground. I assume thats for the fire box. It looks like its galvanized! Not sure I would use it if it is galvanized. JMHO
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:24 am

Pony Express wrote:I see some floor grate in the back ground. I assume thats for the fire box. It looks like its galvanized! Not sure I would use it if it is galvanized. JMHO

Not to worry Pony Express using galvanized anything in a cooker in my opinion is a big No No. the floor grate is galvanized it was given to me by a neighbor thinking I may need it. I may use it for a ramp.
Here is a pic of my firebox.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:18 pm

Not much done today. I had yard work to do so that took precedence.
I did get the right digital therm shelf installed.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:42 am

Looking great K.A.M. It's a lot of work but she'll last a long long time. :D
bobbergone USER_AVATAR
bobbergone
Wrangler

Postby bobbergone » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:18 am

New to the forum scene. But I got this far with no help.

I am starting a huge project and looking for any help I can get.
I run the weld shop a Washington Family Ranch. A Younglife camp. I have set sail on building a BBQ trailer that will feed up to 400 kids with an occasional 800 guest event. I have acquired a 1000 gal propane tank and a set of axles. This will be from the ground up pit.

Plans, pictures, suggestions, ideas, all welcome. I want to get this done right. I have built other small smokers, and even a tar kettle for road maintenance. So the idea of making my own burners and trailer lay out. Is not the hard part. I want the fire box and the tank and the shelving to work to its best ability.

Am I barking up the right tree, thanks for any help that you may have.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkNew to the forum scene. But I got this far with no help.

I run the weld shop a Washington Family Ranch. A Younglife camp. I have set sail on building a BBQ trailer that will feed up to 400 kids with an occasional 800 guest event. I have acquired a 1000 gal propane tank and a set of axles. This will be from the ground up pit.

Plans, pictures, suggestions, ideas, all welcome. I want to get this done right. I have built other small smokers, and even a tar kettle for road maintenance. So the idea of making my own burners and trailer lay out. Is not the hard part. I want the fire box and the tank and the shelving to work to its best ability.

bobbergone USER_AVATAR
bobbergone
Wrangler

Postby bobbergone » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:33 am

Things are looking awesome there with your project. As I plan my trailer I have some questions.

1. Are the roasting racks steel or stainless steel?
2. Is the drip pan in the bottom also the heat shield that creates the
reverse flow function?
3. Is the heat shield removable to promote cleaning?
4. Will propane and a pan of wood chips be sufficient to accommodate
a large event? My desire is to use propane as my heat source
because of the lack of appropriate fire wood.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkNew to the forum scene. But I got this far with no help.

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:47 am

Thank You Finatic. :D Yes Sir they are a lot of work and in the end worth every hour spent. :D

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:56 am

bobbergone wrote:Things are looking awesome there with your project. As I plan my trailer I have some questions.
Thank You bobbergone. :D

Typically folks use #9 x 3/4" flat expanded carbon steel. SS expanded metal is very expensive.

reverse flow function?

If you are building a reverse flow cooker then you will have a reverse flow plate that the drippings hit. My cookers have tuning plates so what does not burn off on my plates goes to the bottom of the cooker.

Some folks do not weld in their plate and have it in sections so they can remove it for cleaning. On smaller cookers this is ok but larger cookers the plates can be heavy.

No where close to efficient in the size cooker you want to build. A 1000 gallon tank in my opinion needs a firebox on both ends and divided in the center. That is a vast amount of area to heat up.

Where are you located and what are your wood sources?

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:06 pm

bobbergone wrote:Things are looking awesome there with your project. As I plan my trailer I have some questions.

reverse flow function?

Not sure if you are into competitions but cookers heated by propane are not allowed in most comps.
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:05 pm

Looking good buddy! Ready to see it in action.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:46 pm

Thank You Jeff. :D I am hoping to put a fire in her this weekend to see if I need to make any changes.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
bobbergone USER_AVATAR
bobbergone
Wrangler

New trailer build. Updated 09/07/15

Postby bobbergone » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:49 pm

I am located in central Oregon. The wood that is readily available is juniper. This is no good for smoking.

I don't plan on using the entire length of the 1000 gal tank. maybe only about 10-12 feet. What I liked about the 1000 gal. Tank is the 41" diameter. With that could I still get by with the single fire box on the one end and leaving the round end on the other.

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:04 am

bobbergone wrote:I am located in central Oregon. The wood that is readily available is juniper. This is no good for smoking.

I don't plan on using the entire length of the 1000 gal tank. maybe only about 10-12 feet. What I liked about the 1000 gal. Tank is the 41" diameter. With that could I still get by with the single fire box on the one end and leaving the round end on the other.

Based on 144" of the tank and 41" in diameter this is the layout that would work for the cooker.
Link to BBQ Pit Calculator
Now lets get to the realistic part of the equation.
I do not know you nor do I know your capabilities of building burners that are safe in an enclosed environment so please do don't take this the wrong way.
If you do not plan on having safety shut offs on the burners scrap the idea because what you are wanting to build without the safety valves is a very dangerous situation that can kill you and others around it.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
bobbergone USER_AVATAR
bobbergone
Wrangler

Postby bobbergone » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:45 pm

Thank you for your concern. I have two hvac/boiler control people working with me and a computer control tech. We want to build this right of course. Although I have been entertaining the thought of maybe pellet fired heat source also. Should provide the heat and the smoke flavoring. Do you have any Intel on something of that magnitude?

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”