Help me with decision

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

spg
Pilgrim

Help me with decision

Postby spg » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:27 pm

I have a 250 gallon propane tank, 500 gallon, and 300 gallon water tank. Which one should I use for my build and should I go reverse flow or tuning plates? About to get to a heatin and uh beatin? (the 500 gallon and 300 gallon tanks are fat and shorter than the propane tank)
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Re: Help me with decision

Postby txsmkmstr » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:30 pm

I'm no pit builder but would think the following items are important consideration in this specific order....

1) Wall thickness - The thicker the better.

2) Outside Diameter - The larger around the better.

3) Length - Mostly depends on the first two and what you'd like to have for capacity.

I had a 250 gallon pit - about 28" x 7 foot long but the round ends weren't useable cooking area. Still, way more capacity than I needed but it was there. Do you intend on doing whole hog?? Need to cook for 200 people?? Lots of questions to be answered before any specific size is recommended.

RF vs. Tuning Plates - - - Pretty much equates to fat cap up or down. Both work well when properly designed. Good luck.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
Bockbock
Cowboy

Postby Bockbock » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:37 pm

My buddies and I built a RF pit out of a 500 gallon propane tank. It cooked great and will never go back to a non RF cooker. The only problem with the pit was the size. The most I ever cooked for was 45 people and still had half the pit that wasn't being used at all. If it were me, I would use the 250 gallon tank. I think it is more usable. That is just my opinion.
Bockbock
Dillo Q
spg
Pilgrim

Postby spg » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:08 am

Not really worried about how many people I can serve just wanting the best cooker, I don't know the wall thickness of the propane tank, I'll have to get the remainder of propane out it and cut it to find out.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:01 am

I would use the 250 hands down. I have built and cooked on reverse flow cookers and they are alright in my opinion. I like my tuning plates because I can manipulate my temps in various ways by shifting the plates. I can also dial my cooker in to with in 5° to 10° of either side.
Here are the links to my builds you may get some ideas.
Reverse flow.
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32283
The canopy I put on it at a later date.
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43894

My Hybrid competition cooker.
http://thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60519
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:37 am

KAM. Very nice work sir! :salut:

I agree. Go with the 250 unless you're looking to cater with it. I've never cooked on a reverse flow. I love my offset. Either way I recommend going with an insulated firebox.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:51 am

Finatic wrote:KAM. Very nice work sir! :salut:

I agree. Go with the 250 unless you're looking to cater with it. I've never cooked on a reverse flow. I love my offset. Either way I recommend going with an insulated firebox.

Thank you Sir. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rodcrafter USER_AVATAR
Rodcrafter
Wrangler

Postby Rodcrafter » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:14 pm

I'd go with the 250 and RF

Making memories.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:19 am

I'll have to go with the others on the 250 - - - the thicker stock the better for holding and "maintaining" heat and isn't that what Low and Slow is all about ? Good Luck and keep us in the loop OK?

OUP
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”