SmokerBuilder.com plans.......

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

MLS
Pilgrim

SmokerBuilder.com plans.......

Postby MLS » Fri May 22, 2015 12:45 pm

Has anyone used a set of Smokerbuilder plans off their web site? I wonder if they are legit? When I say legit I mean are they tested plans that can have even temp (or pretty darn close) across the chamber or if are they just good plans for smokers? :scratch:
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: SmokerBuilder.com plans.......

Postby k.a.m. » Sun May 24, 2015 7:27 am

They are just plans of a cooker nothing more nothing less.
There is enough knowledge right here to help you through a cooker build lord knows I have built a many of them through P.M.'s, email and phone calls.
The best advice I can give is before you dedicate to something on the cooker ask questions.
Use the pit calculator to size your cooker.
http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html
My email is attached to the calculator so when you ask a question I get the email.
I hope this helps. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
MLS
Pilgrim

Postby MLS » Tue May 26, 2015 4:44 pm

Thanks for the advise. I played with the calculator for the past few weeks and to be blunt....... I am afraid of putting a cooker together that is not gonna work. I have built three grills in my time and up until now (when I started to compete) I did not realize just how critical combustion, exhaust, intake and consistent chamber temp is. My partner says I am over thinking this and I am starting to believe it. It sounds like you have a lot of experience with this. Can I email you a list of questions I have? Thanks a lot for your help and your quick reply's.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue May 26, 2015 6:17 pm

As far as getting the intake, exhaust and other openings with in reason to work you are not over thinking this in my opinion. I get regular emails and P.M.'s here and the smokering asking for help fixing cookers that do not work after being built.
I will be glad to help you with your questions. You can use the calculator mail or directly to me either one is the same.
kmillervidortx@gmail.com

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rodcrafter USER_AVATAR
Rodcrafter
Wrangler

Postby Rodcrafter » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:23 pm

K.A.M.
Does this mean you have some real experience with the plans from www.smokerplans.net or is it just guessing that they are just plans?

I ask this question because I personally know Frank Cox. He is certified in HVAC, and is a excellent fabricator. The draft and function of the smokers are very accurate. And come with tech support. So I'm just wondering why you answered that way? No harm in my asking right?

Making memories.
texaspyro USER_AVATAR
TexasPyro
Rustler

Postby TexasPyro » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:46 am

I used a set of plans from Frank for my new reverse flow. I used them for a couple of reasons, mainly I wanted a set of plans drawn up that I could simply forward to my metal supplier and have them precut everything for me. I don't have a shop or any help for that matter, so precut pieces saved a lot of time and back ache.

I think Kevin was simply saying that one must not have to buy a set of plans from Frank, there is a wealth of info here and on other forums to help guide one through the process. I have built a couple of pits without plans now, all have turned out great, in large part to Kevin, his knowledge and lots of guidance from others. I have also used Franks plans and was just as happy, the pit cooks like a dream!

I don't think one could go wrong either way, the way my brain works the plans were nice to reference, it sped up the process for sure.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:25 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:K.A.M.
Does this mean you have some real experience with the plans from http://www.smokerplans.net or is it just guessing that they are just plans?

I ask this question because I personally know Frank Cox. He is certified in HVAC, and is a excellent fabricator. The draft and function of the smokers are very accurate. And come with tech support. So I'm just wondering why you answered that way? No harm in my asking right?

Making memories.

No harm at all I am glad to try and answer. :D
I know Frank, in fact I was once a member of his forum. I also have over 30 years of experience building cookers and repairing cookers that simply were not built correctly.
Personally I have never laid eyes on the plans but good or bad it matters not they are just plans and as I said there is enough knowledge here to build a cooker.
I feel I gave MLS an accurate description of what they are "Plans of a cooker nothing more nothing less". Whether he listens to my comment is entirely up to him, I never said don't buy them I did however say you do not need them to build a cooker.
I hope this helps with your question. :D

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rodcrafter USER_AVATAR
Rodcrafter
Wrangler

Postby Rodcrafter » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:46 pm

Ok thanks.

Making memories.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”