New guy looking...

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jt2134
Pilgrim

New guy looking...

Postby jt2134 » Sun May 17, 2015 8:16 am

Howdy all. I am newbie looking to get started. I have been looking for awhile and I keep coming back to this set up-

http://texasoriginalpits.com/grills-smo ... rebox.html

I tried searching before asking but didn't get what I was looking for. Any thoughts on this one? Any help is welcomed. Thanks!
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Re: New guy looking...

Postby spacetrucker » Sun May 17, 2015 11:22 am

greetings and welcome to the forum.
My patio looks like a bbq pit sales store, it seems like I have a different cooker for each technique I use to cook with.
I constantly ask my self if I could only have one which would it be? Well that's not an easy answer at least for me because it
comes down to the style of cooking, for grilling its the one and for smoking its another and for simplicity it yet another, for overnight long cooks a different one, so it really comes down to what your preference of cooking style is and can you get a cooker that will support one or more of your most preferred cooking styles? I hope this helps you and or maybe gets you to looks at what and how you prefer to cook?
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
sparctek
Wrangler

Postby sparctek » Fri May 22, 2015 10:11 am

jt2134, I sent you a PM with some information on the smoker I currently use. I decided to upgrade and will be putting it up for sale. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Jesse
riseabove50 USER_AVATAR
riseabove50
Rustler

Postby riseabove50 » Fri May 22, 2015 10:43 am

Hello and welcome.

in my humble opinion, if you are just getting started in smoking, i would suggest finding something a little cheaper that you can experiment with. the set up itself is just about right but that seems like a bit too much money for something you could possible get at Academy that has more space at a lower price. i'm not sure what the metal thickness is on the model you're looking at but i got myself a good starter smoker (Char Griller Pro) similar to the one your looking with the same set up at for less than half the price of the model you're looking at and it lasted me around 5 years. by then i was ready to upgrade to something more substantial anyway since i had gotten my techniques down pretty well. i would suggest checking out what your local Academy has in stock and compare it to what you're looking at.

i'm sure others might disagree, but i personally would prefer spending a little less on something i'm trying for the first time before investing more than was necessary to find out if i like it enough to spend more. i hope that makes sense.

just one guy's humble opinion. good luck on your decision.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri May 22, 2015 11:15 am

While I am not familiar with your choice of smoker I'd suggest you look at a 20" barrel cause I am sure you will want the capacity.
If you want to start inexpensively I'd suggest trying a UDS. If you are handy they can be created for less than $100 and cook far better than box store off set smokers.

I have had many pits ranging from <$100 to >$20,000 and with experience you can cook good food on all but more money usually does buy better cooker with greater capacity.
tarde venientibus ossa....
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri May 22, 2015 12:21 pm

I started with a chargriller then moved to the old country pecos from academy. Currently I'm trying to decide on my first trailer pit. I'd recommend taking a look at the old country pecos from academy. It's a very nice starter pit and seems to have thicker metal than some of the other ones they have on the floor. Just look it over real good to make sure it includes everything advertised. They tend to cherry pick from them to complete others.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Fri May 22, 2015 3:51 pm

I know where you can get a Sweetheart of a Deal on a well maintained and tuned to +/- 3 deg CharGriller Outlaw Shoot me a PM if your interested.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”