So What Are You Cooking On?

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

So What Are You Cooking On?

Postby Dallas » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:42 pm

I've got several cookers. First started smoking on a WSM, world's best little smoker. From there I moved to a Klose log burner. I use a Jedmaster for competition. I've got a Primo Oval for small jobs and grilling (extremely versatile griller and smoker) and just recently received
a Stumps GF 223. It's a double walled insulated smoker which really helps
with the bad weather we have in Cleveland. This smoker will allow me to cook no matter what the outside temperature and wind conditions are.
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:37 pm

I've got 2 WSM's and will be ordering a Spicewine trailored smoker in the next month :o Nice thing about Spicewine is that they are only 2 hours from where I live so I can hop over to Columbia and pick her up when she's ready! :D
dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Postby Dallas » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:56 pm

Congrats on that Spicewine trailer. They make very nice cookers. Are you planning on doing some catering or competing or a little of both? Make sure you post some pics when you pic up that Spicewine!
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:18 pm

Dallas wrote:Congrats on that Spicewine trailer. They make very nice cookers. Are you planning on doing some catering or competing or a little of both? Make sure you post some pics when you pic up that Spicewine!

I'll be postin the pics, and I got it just for comp's, neighborhood parties, etc....I live in a new subdivision and they neighborhood "gathering" people I guess you would say are interested in some Q for upcoming parties....so that's about it....
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:20 pm

I've only got one smoker, it is a Stumps GF 223.

Mike

Eagle River BBQ
dsorgnzd USER_AVATAR
Dsorgnzd
Pilgrim

Postby Dsorgnzd » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:06 pm

I have a WSM. Before that I cooked on a Brinkmann Gourmet (the ECB's bigger brother) which I threw out (saving the water pan and the cooking grids) when the WSM arrived. :)
"The race is not always to the swift, nor the contest to the strong." (But that's how the smart money bets.)
Aaron
Pilgrim

Postby Aaron » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:19 am

1 WSM
2 lg BGEs
2 shish kebab cookers
1 mobile pig cooker
1 Traeger pig
1 GOSM
1 FEC 100
1 gasser bbq
1 lodge sportsman grill
1 22 1/2 kettle
1 chargriller smokin pro
1 Primo round(coming this week from distributor)
1 Luhr Jensen lil chief
1 ole hickory cto
Thats all for now. :wink:
Aaron
almost forgot I got a couple turkey fryers as well.
Last edited by Aaron on Wed May 13, 2009 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:24 am

Dang.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
Bill
Rustler

Postby Bill » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:28 am

I think the shorter list would be what you don't have, Aaron. :lol: That's an arsenal !!
dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Postby Dallas » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:32 am

Aaron wrote:1 WSM
2 lg BGEs
2 shish kebab cookers
1 mobile pig cooker
1 Traeger pig
1 GOSM
1 FEC 100
1 gasser bbq
1 lodge sportsman grill
1 22 1/2 kettle
1 chargriller smokin pro
1 Primo round(coming this week from distributor)
1 Luhr Jensen lil chief
Thats all for now. :wink:
Aaron

Welcome AAron. Are you the same Aaron we know from Dizzy Pigs Canada? If so, you were our next door neighbors at Oinktoberfest year before last. You still into cooking Pizza's? You have a special cooker for that or just use the BGE?

Anyway welcome, and glad to hear from you again.

Dallas
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Aaron
Pilgrim

Postby Aaron » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:40 am

Dallas thats me bud,i still am into cooking pizzas,may have to get me one of those ovens for the back yard :lol: but the wife may veto that one.
As a team I think we are in the over flow mode for smokers,its getting hard to decide what to use any more. :oops:
Aaron
dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Postby Dallas » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:44 am

I know what you're talking about on those smokers Aaron. I got an FEC 100 coming anyday now.

How do you like yours? Are you planning on cooking with one in comps or are you guys still tied to the Eggs?
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Aaron
Pilgrim

Postby Aaron » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:52 am

Dallas I love that cooker,great for being able to get some sleep.The BGE is still my favourite all around cooker,and yes they still are a sponsor of ours,the primo guy is giving me one to see how I like it compared to the egg.As far as I am concerned all ceramics are good,no matter who makes them.
Dallas are you getting the new controller on your FEC?I have heard alot of good stuff on those controllers.
Did you see Cabelas is not having any contests this year,gonna miss that employee discount,was looking forward to some serious shopping there.
Aaron
dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Postby Dallas » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:08 am

Aaron,

The new controller with the meat probe is what is holding up my order. I went to Fast Eddy's class last month and after cooking on the smokers decided to buy one.

I think you'll like the Primo. I got a Primo Oval last April and love it. Extremely versatile cooker and great to cook on in the winter. Also just got a Stumps GF 223 painted in Ohio State Colors (scarlet and gray) but after their performance last week I'm embarrassed to post pictures of it.

I'm very happy with the Stumps though and have had several cooks on it already. Can't wait for competition season to roll around again. I was very sad to see the Cabela's comps discontinued. I really enjoyed that contest. Looks like I'll have to drive a 100 miles further north for that Grand Rapids cookoff instead. And yes that 25% discount was sweet!
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Bill
Rustler

Postby Bill » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:19 am

Dallas, on your GF 223, the GF is gravity feed? How much charcoal will it hold and how long of a cook time can you get with one load? Will lump work with it?

Thanks.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”