Registering my trailer pit

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Registering my trailer pit

Postby bsooner75 » Fri May 08, 2015 1:31 pm

What's to keep you from registering it as a small flatbed trailer & just get the standard "trailer" tags on it?

I don't have any experience with this but want to be informed when it comes time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Fri May 08, 2015 3:35 pm

That is because it was built and manufactured as a BBQ trailer pit. My pit in particular was built by Klose. And as I am sure with any trailer builder they are certified by the State to do so. They issue and weld a VIN number to the bottom of the trailer. So when you pick up your trailer they give you what I guess would be a manufactures title or certificate. Which you in turn take to the State and get it titled and tagged in your name. But that title or certificate that they give you specifically list it as a BBQ trailer pit. I will eventually get it figured out, unless someone does before me and post there experience with the process.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri May 08, 2015 5:29 pm

I definitely see why you are confused. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75
crazyd USER_AVATAR
CrazyD
Bandolero

Postby CrazyD » Fri May 08, 2015 6:43 pm

When i did mine, and my dad did his, and my uncle did his, we had to take build pictures to the DPS office along with the bbq pit trailer, they inspect the trailer and assign it a VIN number as well as a weight class. This is what the tax is based off of. Then you take that VIN number and the ticket from DPS office to the assessors office and they will register it and give you plate and title. Just like with a vehicle, Tax, title, license has to be paid on the initial plate and title. Now that the law has been changed late last year (Sept i believe) anything homemade and registered prior to that is grandfathered in. From what i see now, most bbq trailer builders now are getting VIN's for the trailer prior to selling them. This makes it easier on the customer and huge selling point for them.

At least this is how it was done last year when we did ours. 2 bbq pit trailers and a 14' utility trailer, all home made.
Custom Offset Trailer With Pitmaker BBQ Safe
jellyworker USER_AVATAR
jellyworker
Rustler

Postby jellyworker » Sun May 10, 2015 11:52 am

this may sound silly, and excuse me because i haven't bought my trailer yet, but why wouldn't you let them weight it before you put the bbq stuff on it? if i understand what you're saying, the price of the tax on the trailer depends on the weight.

i've been looking for a trailer and everything i've seen says that the price includes tt&l.

of course, these aren't home made trailers, but bought from a dealer.
crazyd USER_AVATAR
CrazyD
Bandolero

Postby CrazyD » Sun May 10, 2015 12:03 pm

because when they inspected it they want to see it in its final state. And i like not having any problems with the state or DPS thats what i did, the tax price difference between with the cooker and without is small. My registration on my trailer is on $56 a year for a gross weight trailer of 2300lbs.

if it states TT&L then they probably do all the registration paperwork for you like a car dealership does.
Custom Offset Trailer With Pitmaker BBQ Safe
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Mon May 18, 2015 2:07 pm

I just registered mine, home built last month in Guadalupe county.

First, the Gross Vehicle Weight if under 3500# then you will not have a title, but it is just registered. and you dont have to have a weight ticket.

Over 3500# and the process gets much more involved. You need a certified weight and it will then have a title.

Also, she did not make me pay any tax.

She also said that I MUST BE SURE and stamp a serial # before pulling it on the street because if I was to get stopped they would confiscate it and it would be darn hard to get it back

Another friend went to the same office i did about the same time and they did not make him state a serial number for the registration.

seems like its different within the same office.
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Fri May 22, 2015 8:17 am

I have never paid sales tax on a trailer at the Country tax office. When I have bought trailers, I always paid sales tax at the place where I bought the trailer. I would take the receipt that shows sales tax has already been paid for proof.

Now registration is a whole different matter. The cost of registration and the license plates is by weight of the trailer. More weight and the registration costs more. I have a homemade BBQ trailer pit and have always had license plates on it. Just have it weighed and take the weigh receipt with ya to the tax office.

Now boats and boat motors are different. When an individual sells a boat he must provide certain TP&W documents that state the amount of purchase so TP&W can collect the sales tax on private transactions.

It's always best to get a bill of sale that shows serial numbers, weights and prices paid. It makes a bunch of things easier at government offices.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”